Corn: how much and how often

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Corn is used to fatten cows. If it causes cows to get fat.... Why do you believe it wont make you fat. I do not eat corn or corn products, ever.

I'm pretty sure the phrase "fatten cows" is an anachronism. People demand low-fat beef products these days. A more appropriate term I believe would be "corn is used to bulk cattle for market."
    ^^^ this. I'm pretty sure corn would be a little more caloric than just plain grass because of the natural sugars, so there's that, too.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    amitkatz0 wrote: »
    I love sweet corn in the summer. Boiled corn on the cob tastes great, even without salt and butter. I'd like to hear from some of you about corn. Does it count as fruit or vegetable? Is it too sugary? How much is good to eat in a meal?

Corn is neither a fruit nor a veggie, it is a grain, well the husk is a veggie, but most people don't eat that part.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Corn is used to fatten cows. If it causes cows to get fat.... Why do you believe it wont make you fat. I do not eat corn or corn products, ever.

tumblr_lwen1mzB3g1qzdodp.gif
  • Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Speaking of corn.... I grew up eating field corn and still prefer it over sweet corn. Anyone else eat field corn?
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the phrase "fatten cows" is an anachronism. People demand low-fat beef products these days. A more appropriate term I believe would be "corn is used to bulk cattle for market."

No, the regular beef producers really do take the cattle from the pastures and put them in feed lots and feed them grain - mainly corn - to put fat into the meat, the cow is considered ready for slaughter when the % of back fat reaches acceptable numbers.

If you want low fat beef, go with grass fed.

This information thanks to my daughter's 4-H friends who raised beef cattle for their 4-H projects, and had to feed plenty of corn to get the right % of back fat. And for those of you that are curious, they use ultrasound to determine the back fat.
  • erickirb
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »

No, the regular beef producers really do take the cattle from the pastures and put them in feed lots and feed them grain - mainly corn - to put fat into the meat, the cow is considered ready for slaughter when the % of back fat reaches acceptable numbers.

This information thanks to my daughter's 4-H friends who raised beef cattle for their 4-H projects, and had to feed plenty of corn to get the right % of back fat. And for those of you that are curious, they use ultrasound to determine the back fat.

And corn is used as it is cheaper, and more calorie dense than other grains
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Tupeloblossom , my grandpa used to tell a good story about stopping on a roadside and pinching some ears of corn.....field corn. LOL. They didn't exactly get what they expected!
  • only1sandradc
    only1sandradc Posts: 3 Member
    Options

No more corn for me lol
  • erickirb
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

tumblr_lwen1mzB3g1qzdodp.gif
    Agreed...that and saying its the equivalent of drinking a gallon of high fructose corn syrup. So far from the truth. Corn is a starchy vegetable, treat it as such. I definitely eat a lot more non starchy vegetables than not. Corn is a whole food, not processed junk. Eat a serving and be completely ok with it.

Corn seed is actually a vegetable, a grain, and a fruit.
    Corn seed is a vegetable because it is harvested for eating. (Usually sweet corn when grain is harvested at the milk stage.)
    Corn seed is a grain because it is a dry seed of a grass species. (Usually field corn when harvested after the grain is relatively dry.)
    Corn seed is a fruit because that is the botanical definition.

But it has more of the same characteristics of gains, not veggies.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    klkarlen wrote: »

And corn is used as it is cheaper, and more calorie dense than other grains

Well, it was cheaper until ethanol came along. Which is why beef prices are so high.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eating a cob of corn is just like drinking a gallon of high fructose corn syrup.
    Funny beast. You got me curious. A cob of corn would yield 18 grams of carbohydrates, or 4 teaspoons of corn syrup.

I just learned that a single almond consumes about a gallon of water.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Midwest kid here too-- love me some fresh sweet corn! I tend to think of a whole cob of corn (or fresh-frozen stuff) as "better" (i.e., a more complete food) than corn products (cornmeal, etc.), but that might be in my head. Anyway, I love it and eat it in season, but I would tend to count it in the starch category too.
    (I do get a big kick out of the fact that the fad-eaters were all, "Corn! Excess in diet! GMO! Monsanto!" And now that Gluten is the devil, guess what a bunch of those gluten substitutes are made of? :D )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

No more corn for me lol

I hope that you aren't honestly taking that post seriously...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't eat foods that look the same coming out as they do going in, gives me a sense of incomplete digestion.

Incomplete digestion is not necessarily a bad thing when trying to lose weight. Undigested food means unabsorbed calories. This is exactly the reason I set a high fiber goal.

It also means unabsorbed nutrients..which is a bad thing. Corn has iron, magnesium, b vitamins...You want to absorb most of the food you eat or what is the point of tracking it? This is why some people choose to take digestive enzymes as well.

Unabsorbed nutrients are only a bad thing if you are not getting enough somewhere else.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    MMM corn! Eat as much as you like as long as it works into your calories allotted like others are saying :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The only time I consume and prepare corn is from Landrey's farm in late August and Sept and I eat a ton of it and put in many recipes for the restaurant. Their corn is renowned for it's taste, and it isn't that crappy peaches and cream either, lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Most people eat sweet corn, not feed corn. Cows are not fed sweet corn.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options

Most people eat sweet corn, not feed corn. Cows are not fed sweet corn.
    The anti milk people say it's milk that fattens baby cows, but forget that it's grain that really speeds up the fattening process to market.......to many choices, too many cows. For further updates watch a you tube video.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Do you also avoid milk? Milk causes rapid weight gain for calves.

Do you avoid greens? Although corn is a very efficient way to fatten a cow, they will get very big on eating grass too.

By the way, do you have a cow's digestive system?