• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Add me :)

done!
  • Newflabuless
    Newflabuless Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm really not understanding the calculator. It told me it would take 18 years to reach my goal so I'm sure I'm not doing something right.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Which calculator?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    TBKSparkle wrote: »
    I'm really not understanding the calculator. It told me it would take 18 years to reach my goal so I'm sure I'm not doing something right.

@TBKSparkle It's because the default setting on that calculator is for recomposition, not weight loss. I like the features of that calculator better, but this one is easier to read: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • lrdavenport23
    lrdavenport23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've been following the advice here and have changed my workout to more weights than cardio, my eating has been all over the place so haven't seen great results yet, but I'm getting that under control now.

I just want to make the point that high intensity training has however, been shown to increase metabolism I think for up to 24 hours after. So if you add a 15-20 minute high intensity workout such as hill sprints to your workout, this should boost weight loss. I do 30 seconds at high speed, walk for 30 seconds, jog for a minute, then sprint for 30 seconds and repeat until I've done 10 hill sprints. Any thoughts/experience on this?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    I've been following the advice here and have changed my workout to more weights than cardio, my eating has been all over the place so haven't seen great results yet, but I'm getting that under control now.

I just want to make the point that high intensity training has however, been shown to increase metabolism I think for up to 24 hours after. So if you add a 15-20 minute high intensity workout such as hill sprints to your workout, this should boost weight loss. I do 30 seconds at high speed, walk for 30 seconds, jog for a minute, then sprint for 30 seconds and repeat until I've done 10 hill sprints. Any thoughts/experience on this?

Strength training has been proven to boost your metabolism for 72 hours post workout.

I'm not saying that HIIT workouts don't help, they are a great way to get in good work in a short session.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

@TBKSparkle It's because the default setting on that calculator is for recomposition, not weight loss. I like the features of that calculator better, but this one is easier to read: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

okay is this calculator for weight loss or maintenance? I think I am just confused by the whole TDEE thing...

its says I should do this: BMR: 1386 & TDEE: 2027

and the calculator posted on the original thread said: BMR: 1248 & TDEE: 1540
    and that I would lose 15 lbs doing 5 work outs a week in 2018.

and MFP has me set at 1290 calories
    AHH WHAT SHOULD I BE EATING? Ha ha ha
  • usmcmp
    Options
    CandiceMcD wrote: »

okay is this calculator for weight loss or maintenance? I think I am just confused by the whole TDEE thing...

its says I should do this: BMR: 1386 & TDEE: 2027

and the calculator posted on the original thread said: BMR: 1248 & TDEE: 1540
    and that I would lose 15 lbs doing 5 work outs a week in 2018.

and MFP has me set at 1290 calories
    AHH WHAT SHOULD I BE EATING? Ha ha ha

Both calculators should show very similar numbers if you entered your information the same for both. Both calculators can be used to lose, maintain, and gain weight depending on the settings you select. You're going to have to pick one of the calculators and read through the selections it has to pick an appropriate deficit (15-20%).

I'm guessing you should be eating around 1500-1600 calories. Using this method you don't log your exercise calories or you log them as 1 calorie burned.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    "Getting down to body fat levels that are low enough to have abs or even a flat stomach is something very few achieve."

Is there a general conscience on what max % of BF someone might have before abs start showing up? On a female.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    athena61 wrote: »
    "Getting down to body fat levels that are low enough to have abs or even a flat stomach is something very few achieve."

Is there a general conscience on what max % of BF someone might have before abs start showing up? On a female.

@athena61 that would depend on how much volume your abs have. Mine are visible at 24% (not that they look great, but you can see them fairly well). I would say that most women can see a hint of abs at about 20-21%. At 17% abs should be visible and if they are not that means there isn't enough volume in the muscles to show.

Here's a fairly extreme comparison showing you what I mean. They may have the same approximate body fat, but the one on the left has muscle, so her abs are visible. The one on the right does not have muscle, so she does not have visible abs.
    15-percent-body-fat-female1.jpg
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

@athena61 that would depend on how much volume your abs have. Mine are visible at 24% (not that they look great, but you can see them fairly well). I would say that most women can see a hint of abs at about 20-21%. At 17% abs should be visible and if they are not that means there isn't enough volume in the muscles to show.

Here's a fairly extreme comparison showing you what I mean. They may have the same approximate body fat, but the one on the left has muscle, so her abs are visible. The one on the right does not have muscle, so she does not have visible abs.

Thank you very much for your reply and also starting this thread with all this great information.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thank you very much for your reply and also starting this thread with all this great information.

I'm happy to try to help!
  • prettywingss04
    prettywingss04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the last 48 pages but If someone can direct me or give me some information.
    I weigh 155 5'6 female. to be honest i like my weight but not my gut. I eat clean(i try) and workout 3-5 a week depending on the circumstances. i believe your advice, I'm following. For the longest time i wanted to keep my butt and lose the gut lol but i didn't want to lose weight so i was advised to workout and eat clean to maintain my weight. but there has been just about NO change in my belly though everywhere else has leaned out nicely. Should i be eating at a calorie defecit? How do i actually measure my food? I used the calculator u recommended and I've got an idea of what is should be on work and rest days but I'm not actually sure how to actually measure my food, I've never done it before. I need some direction please if anyone is willing :smile:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Hi, I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the last 48 pages but If someone can direct me or give me some information.
    I weigh 155 5'6 female. to be honest i like my weight but not my gut. I eat clean(i try) and workout 3-5 a week depending on the circumstances. i believe your advice, I'm following. For the longest time i wanted to keep my butt and lose the gut lol but i didn't want to lose weight so i was advised to workout and eat clean to maintain my weight. but there has been just about NO change in my belly though everywhere else has leaned out nicely. Should i be eating at a calorie defecit? How do i actually measure my food? I used the calculator u recommended and I've got an idea of what is should be on work and rest days but I'm not actually sure how to actually measure my food, I've never done it before. I need some direction please if anyone is willing :smile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101#latest
  • rawwr_bby
    rawwr_bby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :)
  • kayla_butterfly14
    kayla_butterfly14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Omg OMG omg love this
  • jaimivstefani
    jaimivstefani Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is amazing. crisp, clean advice I'm just getting started myself but building muscle and getting leaner legs, hips and flat stomach are my goal (along with just being healthy and happy ofcourse) this is wonderful advice. I'm definatly looking at those websites mentioned.
  • erikac_18
    erikac_18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

This is because you are losing from the parts of your body that have looser fat. For example, I can lose weight everywhere but my legs! If I want to lose my thighs, I have to keep consistent with what I'm doing for a very long period of time. Your gut will change, it's just going to take longer than the rest of your body, because your stubborn stomach fat is in your stomach, as mine is in my legs.
  • erikac_18
    erikac_18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    erikac_18 wrote: »

This is because you are losing from the parts of your body that have looser fat. For example, I can lose weight everywhere but my legs! If I want to lose my thighs, I have to keep consistent with what I'm doing for a very long period of time. Your gut will change, it's just going to take longer than the rest of your body, because your stubborn stomach fat is in your stomach, as mine is in my legs.

*stubborn fat is in your stomach*** lol