I'm going to die if I don't get this done

Options
13»

Replies

• shergettingfit
    shergettingfit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the 16 lbs.!!! That's awesome!!! Take it one day at a time and you will reach your goals, that's what I decided to do! I have a bit over 100lbs to lose. I have felt depressed, sad, I get it! Glad we have a community like this for support and friendships. I would be happy to have you on my friends list to motivate each other, as well as anyone else who wants to. I know we all will have days we feel we can't get through, so it's great to have motivation and inspiration from others!
  • jaysiekemso
    jaysiekemso Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can do it if you really put your mind to it :) good luck
  • careyw1
    careyw1 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on the 16 lbs!! Ive lost 100lbs and have another 40lbs to go..feel free to add me if you like.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    16 pounds is fantastic, remind yourself often of this success, because it's a huge achievement!

Some lessons I've learned along the way:

1 - Portion size is my biggest problem. I used to eat as much as my husband does, but his total daily energy expenditure and my total daily energy expenditure are completely different, so I really should be eating a lot less than him. Kind of tying in with this, I looked at how much I should be eating at my goal weight, and try to eat at or under that amount every day so that when I reach my goal I will have already had a lot of practice at maintenance.

2 - It's ok to take a break from logging for your sanity. BUT try to remember the things that logging teaches you, like which meals or foods work with your goals, and which ones hinder them. Try to log every day if you can, but sometimes some people just need breaks.

3 - If you have a day where you eat at or above maintenance, and you weren't able to do a workout, try to do a few strength exercises. I've noticed a huge difference just doing a few crunches and arm weights and push-ups before bed when my eating is higher than it should be.

4 - A FitBit is great if you can afford one because it keeps track of your steps. You could use this as a mini-reward if you want, and use it to walk a little more each day. Alternatively, there are smartphone apps that do the same thing.

5 - Keep junk out of the house as much as possible, at least in the beginning. If your husband needs to have junk food ask him to help you by not eating it in front of you, or by keeping his stash where you won't find it.

6 - Remind yourself often that you are doing great, and you WILL get there! Just take it one day at a time, and keep trying to make healthy choices.

7 - Take pictures. You may not be able to see a difference, but when you look back at pictures it will become apparent just how much you've changed.

8 - This article was huge for me: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1660. I started analyzing the reasons WHY I was reaching for food, and now that I recognize them I am better able to control my impulse eating.

9 - Do what works for you. You'll eventually figure out what you like, what you don't like, what makes you energized, and what doesn't. Don't treat any mistakes along the way as failures, instead see them as learning opportunities and then move forward. This article was really helpful for me too: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/02/01/5-steps-after-failing/

10 - If you are feeling down or lonely, come to this site. There is a huge support network here for you, and lots of people cheering you on who KNOW you can do this, and they know you CAN because they've DONE it.

Never give up, you've got this!
  • 213tim
    213tim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wrote this from my research to help myself and also some people in my life that are obese; a couple morbidly obese. I am still working to improve it and I update to this copy on Smashwords (meaning you get the updates also).

213-Diet for desireemwilsonii and anyone else that gets it prior to the expire date.
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/441019
    Promotional price: $0.00 (FREE)
    Coupon Code: KZ55L
    Expires: May 30, 2015

I have finally came up with a way to prioritize weight loss. 213-Diet Pyramid (in this order):
    1. Whatever you do, make it a lifestyle change.
    2. Realize your habits causing weight gain, dissect them, then destroy, lessen, or avoid them.
    3. Get rid of toxins that cause over-indulgence, or interfere or damage organ functions.
    4. Avoid processed sugar and reduce starch.
    5. Portion control will be easier if the first 4 are followed.
    6. Protein control; Protein can work for or against depending on the fuel intake and usage.
    7. Physical activity enough to stimulate the body's systems especially the lymphatic system.
    8. Get between 7 to 9 hours of sleep each day.
    9. Mental health and stress.
    10. Drink enough water.
    11. BREATHE! Only way to burn that stored fuel is with oxygen.
    12. Balance of Vitamins and minerals. NOT REAL HOW MUCH! as they can nullify each other if too much of one.
    13. Exercise, Least important in weight loss and need the other 12 checked for exercise to be most effective.

8 pounds a month is great but may be hard to maintain. 4 pounds will get you there and your skin will not lag too far behind. Be ecstatic with any weight loss per month, okay with none, never happy about gaining any back as these days will happen. At that point get mad and get back on target. Do a little bit today and eventually you can do more tomorrow toward changes. The little bits eventually add up to a whole bunch. Too much, too quick leads to failure, resulting most often in losing every bit of progress. BE HAPPY FOR 16 POUNDS, TIME TO MAKE IT 20.

Depression is normal. Use it to pull yourself out of your situation. Do not run from it but confront it.

You are in the right place by being on MyFitnessPal and look forward to hearing your success story. You will find that most the people here really do care and wish the best for others.

Remember what KrunchyMama said:
    10 - If you are feeling down or lonely, come to this site. There is a huge support network here for you, and lots of people cheering you on who KNOW you can do this, and they know you CAN because they've DONE it.

Tim
    PS:
    I have only lost 45 pounds (of 55 excess) and gained as much as 15 back over the holidays (not about giving up life but making the it work with the lifestyle changes). It is a struggle!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Realizing that you need to change and WANTING to do it is what's needed to get you off right. My tips:

Be consistent
    Don't let 1 bad day get you down, but don't let it be a habit
    LIKE YOURSELF UNCONDTIONALLY (I say it outloud to myself once a day for the last 25 years).
    Make good choices when it comes to food. More nutritiously dense food over foods that are less in nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pantherlily0424
    pantherlily0424 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting and already loosing weight. I think you're doing great, and on the right track! In my opinion as long as you're doing it for you and your health that, that will always be just enough motivation to get you going. Any more support you might need, i, and I'm sure a lot of other MFP members will be more than willing to supply you with. You're off to such a great start, and that much closer to your goal. Loosing weight is far from easy, you and I both know it, so keep pushing girl. You've lost 16 freaking pounds and that is amazing! Slowly but surely you're reaching your goal. Great job :smiley:
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    16 pounds is awesome!! You can do this, it's more overcoming the mental side of things that is hardest. I started at 370 pounds and a year and a bit later I am almost 100 pounds down. You can do this! Add me, we can do it together xxxx
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. 16 pounds in 2 months is great. I think when we set our mind on a goal..we get in a hurry. I know I do. But some things just go slow..like weight loss. There is nothing wrong with seeing someone for your depression meanwhile. You do not have to accept being depressed. Get some help. Meanwhile..we are here for you.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wanted to mention also: if you haven't been checked for sleep apnea then you probably should. At your weight there is a good chance you have sleep apnea, and it can cause depression and make it harder to lose weight because it can put your body into a state of hypoxia.

And for anyone who likes additional reading, thinks they might have sleep issues or experiences any of the following symptoms (snoring, gasping for air, nightmares, frequent noctural urination, waking up with headaches, chest pain or racing heart at night, restless legs, feeling like you haven't slept all night, familiy history of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, or diagnosed sleep apnea), here's another link: http://oregon.providence.org/health-library/s/sleep-apnea/forms-and-information/apnea-can-cause-patients-to-lose-more-than-sleep/
  • jpulp
    jpulp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    16 pounds is a big, big step. I live in Iowa and there's a local news man that just publicly started his own weight loss journey that is making national attention. His name Daniel Finney and you can follow his plan and weight loss journey on twitter(#makingweight)His plan is to do it the right way and lose the weight slowly over the course of time by exercising more and eating in moderation. When you described what you are doing, it reminded me of his journey. The reality for most of us is that we can't lose the 20+ pounds per week like we see on biggest loser, it's just not feasible for those of us going through the rigors of normal life. What we can do is approach it like you have and make changes to our lifestyle that will benefit us in the long-term and teach us how we make a healthy lifestyle our new habit. Best of luck, you can do it!
  • veronicatucker77
    veronicatucker77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You may not think so but losing 16 pounds in 2 months is Great! Remember every little bit helps. Just go day by day and set small goals for yourself. Once you conquer those goals then you can make new ones. This way you can see just how much you are improving and build up your confidence! Don't get stuck on timelines because they will bring you down.
  • riyakumar79
    riyakumar79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vixenmd1 wrote: »
    Thankfully you are facing this now while you are young and this can change the course of your life. I just lost my dad 2 weeks ago tomorrow) from a sudden heart attack due to his morbid obesity( whuch cuased his type 2 and hypertenstion). You are on the way just keep going and don't look back.

• Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    16 pounds is allot in 2 months, ive been on and off with diet and lost 10lb in 4 months. Just take one step at a time, be patient and keep up with it, in a years time you'll be a completely different person and you'll look back proud of how far youve come just stay dedicated :)