Diet pepsi to now be made with splenda...

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
Congrats critics of aspartame on this major victory...

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Splenda is the Robin to aspartame's Batman.

I would just drink the stuff with sugar if I liked soda that much.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sugar-sweetened isn't an option from the major brands - they all went HFCS a long long time ago. Personally I prefer the taste of aspartame versions to HFCS versions.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous that people think any form of fake sugar is better (or worse) than the other. I prefer the taste of spenda in my coffee. I like "normal" diet sodas. Stevia tastes horrible.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why did they make the change? Did they say?
  • _John_
    Options

Criticism of aspartame...seriously
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

They're all doing it - Coke is in a slow rollout of "Coke Life" which is a mix of Stevia and cane sugar.

Just marketing depts being marketing departments...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    That's nice.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Well...I am excited about that. I am going to check the Diet Pepsi labels, starting tonight. Thank you for posting!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »
    Well...I am excited about that. I am going to check the Diet Pepsi labels, starting tonight. Thank you for posting!
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/diet-pepsi-dropping-aspartame-customer-140544806.html
    They'll apparently start hitting shelves this August.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Just marketing depts being marketing departments...
    That's what it sounds like to me.
  • Lizadizzle
    Lizadizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ¬_¬ can't they just leave things alone? I don't like change. *sigh*
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    But, but, but... hasn't aspartame been tested more extensively than Splenda?

Am I missing something?
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I found out some diet pop has carbs too so I went totally to water instead. It is good to hear they will use splenda now. I might try it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jlhudsons wrote: »
    I found out some diet pop has carbs too so I went totally to water instead. It is good to hear they will use splenda now. I might try it.

Which diet sodas have carbs?

And...if you're not drinking soda and are happy, why add it back? Water is healthier.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    That's not quite accurate. They're not replacing it with Splenda, they're using something that is also used in Splenda. "Instead of aspartame, Diet Pepsi, Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi and Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi will be sweetened with a blend of artificial sweeteners sucralose and acesulfame potassium in the U.S. The new drinks will hit shelves in August."
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Lizadizzle wrote: »

Agreed :/ Whelp, I will stop drinking Diet Pepsi when the "new and improved" version comes out. I will switch to whatever DOES have aspartame in it. I like Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi equally (the aspartame ones), and very much dislike Coke Zero (the Splenda one). I'm sure Splenda Pepsi will equally disappoint me.

• _John_
    edited April 2015
    Options
    slucki01 wrote: »
    That's not quite accurate. They're not replacing it with Splenda, they're using something that is also used in Splenda. "Instead of aspartame, Diet Pepsi, Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi and Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi will be sweetened with a blend of artificial sweeteners sucralose and acesulfame potassium in the U.S. The new drinks will hit shelves in August."

I took the connotation of saying sucralose and acesulfame potassium and used a "brand name".

Acesulfame potassium is combined with aspartame/splenda in a lot of sodas.
  • _John_
    Options
    Lizadizzle wrote: »

Agreed :/ Whelp, I will stop drinking Diet Pepsi when the "new and improved" version comes out. I will switch to whatever DOES have aspartame in it. I like Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi equally (the aspartame ones), and very much dislike Coke Zero (the Splenda one). I'm sure Splenda Pepsi will equally disappoint me.

Coke zero has aspartame and acesulfame potassium...no sucralose

• kookykrazee
    kookykrazee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Problem is Splenda is processed, too. If they used actual Stevia, that would be awesome but ultimately Pepsi and Coke both have their own (Reb A & B) which are both processed. ugg
  • lorenbowles74
    lorenbowles74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just drink water! It's the safest route