Diet pepsi to now be made with splenda...

Options
2»

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Just drink water! It's the safest route

Depends on the quality of your water...beer is always a safe bet though
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Lizadizzle wrote: »
    ¬_¬ can't they just leave things alone? I don't like change. *sigh*

Agreed :/ Whelp, I will stop drinking Diet Pepsi when the "new and improved" version comes out. I will switch to whatever DOES have aspartame in it. I like Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi equally (the aspartame ones), and very much dislike Coke Zero (the Splenda one). I'm sure Splenda Pepsi will equally disappoint me.

Coke zero has aspartame and acesulfame potassium...no sucralose

Oops! My mistake (I haven't had a Coke Zero in ages--forgot what was in it). Coke Zero still = awful (to me). I think I confused myself with the "regional store brand" diet cola my husband bought that is sucralose.
  • durango83
    durango83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    can anyone explain the difference, thx
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    durango83 wrote: »
    can anyone explain the difference, thx

Pretty much "chocolate vs vanilla", hypothetically speaking
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Why did they make the change? Did they say?

They're all doing it - Coke is in a slow rollout of "Coke Life" which is a mix of Stevia and cane sugar.

Just marketing depts being marketing departments...

I am see the role for coke lite - it has less sugar, therefore less calories, but presumably doesn't have the artificial flavour after taste that some people find in diet sodas.
    Compromise drink for those who want to reduce sugar/calories but don't like artificial sweeteners.

But no good for diabetics who need to avoid sugary drinks altogether and I won't be drinking it myself as I like diet coke et al and I prefer a no calorie drink to a low calorie one.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    But, but, but... hasn't aspartame been tested more extensively than Splenda?

Am I missing something?

I really dont think it is about the safety of Splenda vs aspartame so much as about the public perception.

If the public doesn't have confidence in aspartame for whatever misguided reasons then it's a marketing decision to go with the perceived better alternative.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Problem is Splenda is processed, too. If they used actual Stevia, that would be awesome but ultimately Pepsi and Coke both have their own (Reb A & B) which are both processed. ugg

Yeah,stevia isn't processed at all...
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Just drink water! It's the safest route

This is what I do since giving up diet drinks a few years ago.