Interesting link on: Exercise Can't Save Us From Too Much Sugar In Our Diets, Say Experts

Options

Replies

• Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but am I the only one that thinks that article is stupid?
    Is there really so many people out there in the world with such horrible diets that think "oh if I walk to the shop to buy my junk food and walk back, i'll lose lots of weight".
    Or is it wrong of me to think that it was common sense that you need to burn more calories than you consume, to lose weight?
    Because even at the most basic levels. If I wanted, I could eat 4,000 calories everyday of almost only junk food and sweets and sugar. Yet if i'm burning 4500 calories each day from massive amounts of exercise, I'm still going to lose roughly 1 pound each week - most the weight loss being fat, even more so, if a portion of that exercise is strength training.
    You could lose weight with solely diet, or solely exercise. You could have an unhealthy and super high calorie diet, yet still lose weight quickly if you put in enough exercise (granted it would have to be alot of exercise, but still). Or you could have an unhealthy and low calorie diet. And sit on your *kitten* all day, and still lose weight equally fast, without a single bit of exercise, providing your calories were in that much of a deficit.

Of course, weight gain, weight loss, maintaining weight, is all one thing. Being healthy is another thing.
    You can gain or lose weight, regardless of how much bad stuff you eat. But being healthy, full of vitality, strong immune system, and everything else, does require a mostly healthy diet then, combined with some exercise.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think people should read the original editorial, if they haven't already. The Forbes.com article on the link above missed a couple of the key points. The original is posted here:
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2015/04/23/bjsports-2015-094911.full

The editorial is certainly another powerful endorsement for a low-carb and junk-free lifestyle. People who are convinced that they aren’t harming themselves by eating junk food when they have calories to ‘spare’ should take heed.

I particularly liked the part about members of the public being “drowned by an unhelpful message about maintaining a ‘healthy weight’ through calorie counting.”

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Oh, there's this doozy in there:
    What we know to be true is much simpler: “Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger,” the write. “Fat calories induce fullness or satiation.”

Um, protein calories also "promote" fat storage.

Because fat storage (insulin response) is a function of normal digestion. Just as fat burning is a function of normal metabolism. When you separate talking about digestion from the context of energy balance, it sure sounds inflammatory.

This one specific "fat storage" and insulin response thing with the sugar alarmists might be one of my biggest pet peeves.
    Actually fat on it's own is not very satiating and some carbs are the most satiating on the planet, like potatoes.

Yep, a boiled potato measures highest on the satiety index while "Protein, fibre, and water contents of the test foods correlated positively with SI scores (r = 0.37, P < 0.05, n = 38; r = 0.46, P < 0.01; and r = 0.64, P < 0.001; respectively) whereas fat content was negatively associated (r = -0.43, P < 0.01).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7498104/
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    In my opinion, the article is biased against sugar and the fast food industry. Believe me, neither of those things is the cause of obesity, eating too much in general is what gets people fat. A person can learn moderation in all things if they so choose, but they may choose to cut out certain foods to help them achieve a calorie deficit. As long as a person is eating enough food for their activity level, there is no right or wrong way of dieting, and food choice significance is individual.

From the article:
    We can exercise to the moon and back but still be fat for all the sugar and carbs we consume.

Nope. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you can consume all the sugar and carbs you want and you will lose weight. For me, 40 percent of my diet comes from carbs, which includes a healthy portion of sugar. I lost 44 pouns this way and have been maintaining for about a year and a half.

Exercise does help create a deficit, but it is not necessary to weight loss. I love to exercise, though, because of how it makes me feel. I even exercised when I was fat.
    The major point the team makes – which they say the public doesn’t really understand – is that exercise in and of itself doesn’t really lead to weight loss. It may lead to a number of excellent health effects, but weight loss – if you’re not also restricting calories – isn’t one of them. “Regular physical activity reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, dementia and some cancers by at least 30%,” they write. “However, physical activity does not promote weight loss.”

I agree weight loss is 100% diet, but exercise does help create a deficit besides providing a bunch of other wonderful benefits.

The single most effective thing people can do for their weight, they write, is to restrict calories – and even more, restrict carbohydrates

Restricting calories is correct, but restricting carbs is bull.
    The authors end with this powerful finale: “It is time to wind back the harms caused by the junk food industry’s Public Relations machinery. Let us bust the myth of physical inactivity and obesity. You cannot outrun a bad diet.”

No, it's not the junk food industry that puts weight on us, it's that hand-to-mouth movement of putting any food in our mouths that causes weight gain. I refuse to blame anyone else for my history of obesity, just as I take full responsibility for my weight loss. What's out there-fast food industry, carbs, sugar-- will always be out there. I am 100% responsible for my choices when it comes to weight management.

It all comes down to moderation. :)

ETA: Oh, and they mention "research" but they don't provide any links to studies.

This.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think people should read the original editorial, if they haven't already. The Forbes.com article on the link above missed a couple of the key points. The original is posted here:

The editorial is certainly another powerful endorsement for a low-carb and junk-free lifestyle. People who are convinced that they aren’t harming themselves by eating junk food when they have calories to ‘spare’ should take heed.

I particularly liked the part about members of the public being “drowned by an unhelpful message about maintaining a ‘healthy weight’ through calorie counting.”

Really? So NEVER eat things like bagels or M&M's?

• bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    50% of my intake is carbs and sugar and I'm still losing o.o, you just need to burn more than you eat and not demonize food types because people have poor self control around them.

Compared to some diets, 50% IS carb control.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Because it is :) I'm pretty happy right now. I eat what I like and I'm healthy still eating what I like so how does that work if I'm losing weight, healthy and my doctor is happy because my tests are coming back roses. How much have you lost so far Chrys? How long have you been trying on your diet?
  • adamitri
    Options
    bluworld wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    50% of my intake is carbs and sugar and I'm still losing o.o, you just need to burn more than you eat and not demonize food types because people have poor self control around them.

Compared to some diets, 50% IS carb control.

Hm really? I keep going over so my goal is 50% and get more protein in but I keep failing -_-.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Well, the editorial makes a strong point that high carb junk foods cause myriad health problems other than obesity. Personally I certainly would like to get to the point where I neither crave nor choose to consume such things.
  • adamitri
    Options

Well, the editorial makes a strong point that high carb junk foods cause myriad health problems other than obesity. Personally I certainly would like to get to the point where I neither crave nor choose to consume such things.

Then that's fine for you but not for everyone. Some people are learning to be responsible with their intake and learning moderation. If you have no control than you should avoid it but there is no reason to demonize food.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Well see, here's the thing I don't get. If you can't control your own intake, why are you so prescriptive regarding other people, particularly those who are able to control and moderate theirs?

I get that you feel strongly regarding a food/body connection. And certainly, aiming to eat an overall nutritious diet is something we should all try to do.

What I think you miss in your reading is a little objectivity that skirts over key words like "excess" which change the context and meaning of portions of pieces like the one you posted.

• 74Brian74
    74Brian74 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am certainly not as much of an expert as many here... However, I believe that health is far more than what you see in the mirror. It encompasses energy levels and mood, blood markers, ability to perform - whether it's going out dancing with friends till 2am and not being sore the next day, running a half marathon, or being able to go on a week long hike with a 45lb backpack.

Sure, if you are carrying a lot of excess weight, you can simply increase your burn and drop calories. But you will get to the point at some point where your tolerance for excercise will have increased beyond what your existing diet can sustain LONG TERM. At this point you will need to pay attention to the garbage in garbage out mantra or else performance will suffer.

I am attending a masters swim meet this weekend. I am looking at competitive swimmers of all ages and all physiques. Guess what??? I have not yet seen any top placing in any age category by either gender by someone carrying excess weight. I would wager that the correlation between empty calories consumed, sugar and saturated fat intake and athletic performance is very high.

You might certainly make a lot of progress if starting at a sufficiently overweight body type. But beyond a certain point, more training alone will not lead to progress. Diet becomes a large part of the gains from a persons modest level of fitness. Ask any top performer in ANY athletic discipline.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    But this was written by AUTHORS!

Not sure if you are being serious.

Dr. Oz and Vani Hari (the Food Babe) are authors and they've proven to be less than legit.

Oh, come on! Do you have NO sense of humor? Perhaps no sense of sarcasm? You obviously didn't read my first post.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,002 Member
    Options
    74Brian74 wrote: »
    I am certainly not as much of an expert as many here... However, I believe that health is far more than what you see in the mirror. It encompasses energy levels and mood, blood markers, ability to perform - whether it's going out dancing with friends till 2am and not being sore the next day, running a half marathon, or being able to go on a week long hike with a 45lb backpack.

Sure, if you are carrying a lot of excess weight, you can simply increase your burn and drop calories. But you will get to the point at some point where your tolerance for excercise will have increased beyond what your existing diet can sustain LONG TERM. At this point you will need to pay attention to the garbage in garbage out mantra or else performance will suffer.

I am attending a masters swim meet this weekend. I am looking at competitive swimmers of all ages and all physiques. Guess what??? I have not yet seen any top placing in any age category by either gender by someone carrying excess weight. I would wager that the correlation between empty calories consumed, sugar and saturated fat intake and athletic performance is very high.

You might certainly make a lot of progress if starting at a sufficiently overweight body type. But beyond a certain point, more training alone will not lead to progress. Diet becomes a large part of the gains from a persons modest level of fitness. Ask any top performer in ANY athletic discipline.
    Pizza was my fuel, tasty and packed with calories and helped sustain my energy on the ice, and pasta, lots of pasta.

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Riiiiiiiggght.....
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This original article adds nothing new. Technically, you can outrun a bad diet though you may need to run the whole day. Exercise and calorie intake are both important. It beats me why certain 'experts' push one versus the other. Humanity has evolved eating carbohydrates and proteins. I see no reason to demonize carbohydrates now. On the other hand, I don't endorse a 3000 calorie burger & fries diet either.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Written by quacks like Noakes and Phinney? Lol

Associating the "food industry" with the tobacco industry, "This sabotage was achieved using a ‘corporate playbook’ of denial, doubt, confusing the public and even buying the loyalty of bent scientists, at the cost of millions of lives"

And no mention of having competing interests with having written low carb books and getting money from the Atkins foundation?

Also great to see them mention the debunked fat adaptation theory lol

• Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

Dr. Oz and Vani Hari (the Food Babe) are authors and they've proven to be less than legit.

Oh, come on! Do you have NO sense of humor? Perhaps no sense of sarcasm? You obviously didn't read my first post.

These authors are a little more legit than Dr Oz and the Food Babe...

Dr. Stephen D. Phinney is a Professor of Medicine Emeritus at UC-Davis. He is on the editorial board of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. He has twenty-five years of clinical experience as a director of multi-disciplinary weight management programs and has contributed to books and peer reviewed articles and is an expert in low carb nutrition and metabolism, fatty acids, inflammation, and the metabolic syndrome.

Timothy David Noakes is a South African professor of Exercise and Sports Science at the University of Cape Town. He is a founding Member of the International Olympic Committee’s Olympic Science Academy and also President of the South African Sports Medicine Association. He is known for taking part in over 70 marathons and ultra-marathons.

Dr Aseem Malhotra is a cardiologist and the science director of Action on Sugar, a campaign group formed to reduce the amount of sugar added to food and soft drinks in an effort to tackle obesity and diabetes in the UK.
    [*Edit to add: and this is his position on sugar: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/11/sugar-is-enemy-number-one-now]

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

These authors are a little more legit than Dr Oz and the Food Babe...

Dr. Stephen D. Phinney is a Professor of Medicine Emeritus at UC-Davis. He is on the editorial board of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. He has twenty-five years of clinical experience as a director of multi-disciplinary weight management programs and has contributed to books and peer reviewed articles and is an expert in low carb nutrition and metabolism, fatty acids, inflammation, and the metabolic syndrome.

Timothy David Noakes is a South African professor of Exercise and Sports Science at the University of Cape Town. He is a founding Member of the International Olympic Committee’s Olympic Science Academy and also President of the South African Sports Medicine Association. He is known for taking part in over 70 marathons and ultra-marathons.

Dr Aseem Malhotra is a cardiologist and the science director of Action on Sugar, a campaign group formed to reduce the amount of sugar added to food and soft drinks in an effort to tackle obesity and diabetes in the UK.

Phinney is an Atkins funded researcher and historically inaccurate
    https://atkins-hcp.com/bios#1
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2015/04/ancestral-health-dishonesty-phinney.html

Noakes is in hot water
    http://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/noakes-faces-probe-over-banting-tweet-1.1848659#.VTvWRpMYHnR