What food has shocked you?

Options

Replies

• Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Tortilla wraps are quite a popular choice! The Mission Deli wraps are the worst that I've seen.
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    White mochas. I knew off the top of my head the calories in a hot chocolate and a frappuccinio but it never occurred to me that the white mochas would be SO much more.
  • shannonichole
    shannonichole Posts: 126
    Options
    Avacados and Medjool Dates! 276kcal and 66kcal EACH!!! :noway:
  • cloudcontrol
    Options
    White rice. Which is a problem, because I eat a lot of it. I'm making the switch to brown, though. I'm actually finding I like the taste of it, too. :)
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I had a small slice of a frozen pizza and the sodium was at 1,000 mg! for just ONE slice! Unbelievable. It did have hot sauce on it already, though, so I think that contributed a lot.
  • lshart
    lshart Posts: 5
    Options
    Blue Cheese!
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    Options
    Granola! I freakin' love granola! YIKES!!!!!!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Oh and just plain sodium lol. Everything has freakin sodium!

^This! I'm like a fiend now hunting down alternatives to all the sodium rich foods.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hm.

Milk? Does that count? I didn't realise it'd be so high in calories (even though in retrospect it should of been obvious). I was a huge milk drinker and I used to pile my cereals with it. *bemoans its lost*

I also was quite surprised with salad dressing and pasta/noodles. I figured they would be high in carbs but not so much calories.

Also BANANAS - 110 calories for a medium sized banana. WAAA. I eat bananas ripe like candy. NOM. but ever since I learnt they where so high, they are strictly a pre-workout snack now.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    One from tonight- Pearl Barley. Low in fat but 100g cooked...390kcal.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing 140 calories for 2tbs of Ranch! Really?
    Right??/ And who eats 2 tbs?? I use like 4-5!!! lol.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm in the wrong or not, mind you the database t old me this, but I was almost positive that egg drop soup had waaaaayyyy more calories that the database told me.. Weird.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Also, when you consider that vegetables are pretty low in calories, corn is surprisingly high for a vegetable.

This one shocked me!!
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    I had a shock tonight regarding grilled pork chops!! :noway:
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Fat free salad dressing and salad dressings in genera.. LOADED WITH SODIUM.. so much for a healthy salad with loaded salt added to it!! i use to drown my salad in it.

The fact that EVERYTHING has so much sodium drives me bonkers!! Healthy fruit like a banana or apple is loaded w/sugar. Frozen meals and junk like chocolate never surprised me much though. Even wheat bread is eye opening at 100 calories a PIECE and also plenty of sodium. Who would have thought a plum tomato has sugar in it?? I certainly didn't think so.

I used to eat 2 jumbo hot dogs though things are one of the WORSE foods for you along with pork sausage. Oh and the saturated fat for my lovely yummy lidnt chocolate balls that i used to eat a bag of was a horribly staggering 77% saturated fat.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Pasta was quite eye opening for me as well.. no i eat 1/2 cup uncooked WHEAT where i used to eat 2-3 full bowls loading with sauce, sausage, and meatballs i made mixed with whole eggs, parm cheese, bread crumbs, and more parm cheese on top.. plus it was white pasta no wonder i got so fat uhg
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    FRUIT.... I would eat fruit every morning and log it on here and never understood why my sugar intake was so high I was over every day on sugar even though I was watching so close to what I was eating... weird... also there are CARBS in EVERYTHING!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I nearly fell out of my chair when I plugged in the recipe for my famous Chocolate Mousse Pie.
    One slice = 1,060 calories.
    ONE slice! One THOUSAND sixty calories!!!!!

Um... looks like I won't be making this EVER AGAIN.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Chicken Express Sweet Tea===390 cals for one glass---oops I can down 3 or more at one sitting.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i can't eat bread anymore. the empty calories just aren't worth it!!!!!!
    I still can't believe a pint of beer has 200 calories... 4 beers on a friday is pretty standard!...that's 2/3 of my calories for the day!!!