Diet coke

Options

Replies

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I went out to eat with friends and they ordered margaritas. I ordered a diet soda. As far as I"m concerned, we all ordered something delicious, that we felt like enjoying at that time. But why am I the only one who is frowned upon for my beverage of choice? I don't guzzle it all day any more than they guzzle margaritas all day. I really get tired of the disapproving looks when I pop the top of my can of soda. I drink approximately 1 a day. Sometimes more, but it's usually just the one.
    I don't look disapprovingly at people who have a beer or two every day.
    Soda is not evil. I would think common sense would prevail and people would realize that you shouldn't drink it all day, every day, and have it be your only beverage. But that same common sense should help people realize that drinking it every day, or only occasionally is just fine. Just like EVERYTHING.
    Sorry -- just so sick and tired of the 'soda ruins everything' attitude so many seem to have. Not saying soda is a great nutritional choice, but I'm sick of hearing how horrible it supposedly is.

I'm with you sister! I drink a diet soda at my 5 o'clock break (I work nights) it's a treat that I look forward to and a nice little caffeine bump. I don't guzzle the stuff all day, but if I did, who cares? Never Diet Coke though can't stand the stuff, but Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero? Oh yeah
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It is scientifically proven that everybody who ever drank diet coke died or will die sooner or later!

lolzzz

• mbbseb
    mbbseb Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm a diet coke ahollic, it might not be like pumping embalming fluid into your body but it's definitely not good for you. No nutritional value. I drank at least 4 or 5 cans a day. She is just quoting what someone has said to her and if that's what it took to get her to stop drinking diet coke than that is awesome I wish someone would scare me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is not good for you. Diet Dr. Pepper/Coke Zero FTW.

Seriously, I drink a can with dinner or a glass when I'm out to eat, and I have a bottle chilling in the refrigerator to drink when I go to work at 3 in the morning (I don't do coffee, so that's how I wake up, and whether I'm finished with it or not I buy a 1-liter bottle of water on my lunch break at 7:30).
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If you want to stop drinking it for whatever personal reason, it helps to figure out why you might be addicted to it. For me, it was about the carbonation. So I switched to carbonated water (la croix) and I've only had very occasional cravings for diet soda..and I just drink it when I get the craving.
  • zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a person on diet coke and lived forever :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Y'all can drink aspartame all you want but the stuff is crap. Period. I don't understand how people think it's okay. I don't know. I was there, I loved my diet dew and no one could take it from me without experiencing my wrath. I wouldn't touch the stuff ever again, but that's just me.

Yes it's just you.

I think it is okay ( in sensible moderation like everything else) so I will continue drinking a few cans a week, like I always have.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    waldronsix wrote: »
    same here. I am addicted. I drink it everyday. When I try to stop I get a headache... I have cut down quite a bit tho. One step at a time.

That is probably the caffeine if you are drinking a cola version, most of them do have caffeine.

Sudden withdrawal of caffeine is known to bring on temporary headaches in people who consumed it regularly.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I lived on Diet Coke and Crystal Light Iced Tea for 3/4 of my life. It was all I ever drank. Through trial and error I realized the aspartame in both were severely aggravating my fibromyalgia. I still need a D Coke on occasion because nothing else can replace the taste for me, but since I (mostly) removed aspartame my fibro flares have significantly lowered in amount and intensity.
  • csb66
    csb66 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well Im not addicted to Diet Coke, but once in a while i love filling a glass with lots of ice, and Diet Coke, it takes the sweet edge off. Mmm…wish I had one now. hahahaa. Oh it does have salt, so you have to watch out for that, but as long as you're not drinking it morning, noon and night, you're okay.
  • Jimsterintexas
    Jimsterintexas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There are many negative side effects. I used to drink two 44oz Diet Cokes a day, but one day I just stopped cold turkey in January 2012, and haven't had any since. Here is a list of reasons not to drink diet soda: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a person on diet coke and lived forever :)

lolzz indeed

btw water is bad too. All people who drink or drank water, died or will die also sooner or later.
    bad..bad..bad!!1

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Y'all can drink aspartame all you want but the stuff is crap. Period. I don't understand how people think it's okay. I don't know. I was there, I loved my diet dew and no one could take it from me without experiencing my wrath. I wouldn't touch the stuff ever again, but that's just me.

LOL. That anti-aspartame psyche-out conspiracy crap is still doing the rounds isn't it?

It's beautifully crafted, eminently believable and just not scientifically valid

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17828671&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

An easier read that actually links to the article above https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use diet coke as a treat when I'm really going strong, it's one of those things I'll have when I've eaten and I need a sweet kick without resorting to chocolate.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

LOL. That anti-aspartame psyche-out conspiracy crap is still doing the rounds isn't it?

It's beautifully crafted, eminently believable and just not scientifically valid

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17828671&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

An easier read that actually links to the article above https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

Its kinda like that "class action suit" about yaz birth control being linked to gallbladder disease. Some women (probably overweight, smokers, and in their thirties, which is when birth control can become iffy in regards to dangers) had an attack. I was on that pill and had an attack. I was overweight, ate a ton of greasy food, I smoke and have a family history. But hey let's blame that pill!

That was a good read. Glad to see that everyone doesn't believe an email that starts with FWD:FWD:fw. Or as someone mentioned, her random uncle lol
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Geez...I would hate to see the day Diet Coke disappears....it would be WWIII
    I'll stick with Stevia. Thank you.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke will absolutely kill you because it doesn't taste as good as Coke Zero. Also, every person who has ever drank water will die.

No not true only people who drink dihydrogen minoxide die...
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    Diet Coke will absolutely kill you because it doesn't taste as good as Coke Zero. Also, every person who has ever drank water will die.

Coke zero for the win!!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE diet coke, and then my husband's uncle explained to me all I was doing was pumping embalming fluid into my body slowing poisoning myself.

I woke up with a horrific headache. As it started to abate, I thought I'd check in and see what was going on over here. I read the words "embalming fluid" and laughed so loudly my head felt like it was going to split open. So thanks for that.

All the alarmist bs about diet soda....I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    To all the diet coke diehard lovers...
    You are my people.
    Feel free to add me. I'm relatively new and I log daily.