Looking for a good protein powder!

Options

Replies

• dannybuagsallday
    dannybuagsallday Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've tried many, currently have syntha6 cookies and cream flavor. Mixes well with both milk(s) and with water. Tastes great, is smooth.
  • WSOX37
    WSOX37 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Isopure
  • katerz86
    katerz86 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    TuraCasey wrote: »
    I'm partial to Muscle Milk...although you may have to look around for flavors other than chocolate and vanilla, possibly online. it tastes good and has a decent amount of protein per serving. My 14 year old loves it, so that should tell you something. =0

I feel like giving a 14yr old protein powder may not be a good idea, is that safe?

• melissgo
    melissgo Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like Muscle Milk. The vanilla creme reminds me a bit of cake batter. I look forward to it after a workout. Also, it goes great in smoothies.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use Muscle Feast 100% Whey Protein Isolate (Unflavoured) - no regrets.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I really like two: Allmax Hexapro "Decadent Chocolate Milkshake" for a guilt-free chocolate shake. use the scoop & some ice cubes, whip it up in the Vitamix & its just like a choc shake. I can't tell you how many of these I'll down on a hot summer day after doing a boatload of heavy yard work!

Trutein Cinnabun: excellent to make pancakes with.
    Trutein Mango Peach: ^^ another version.
    (okay, so 3 flavors, 2 brands. :) )

Timely thread. I've only relatively recently started incorporating powders into my daily routine. I'm (basically) PSMF-ing, and finding a lot of the time I'd rather just have a shake than so much as look at another piece of chicken breast. :smiley:

Trutein has limited distribution in Canada, and the place I tried ordering from had no Cinnebun in stock. In fact they didn't have most of the flavours in stock. So I popped over to SVN and ordered a couple of tubs of Hexapro (Choco Peanut Butter and Cookies & Cream).

Haven't tried casein powder before, looking forward to seeing if there's a gut-feel difference between that and the whey isolate i've been using until now.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Question - can you cook with protein powders? Like, put a scoop of chocolatey flavour one into a sauce and make it molé-like?
  • JayWillisBBA_AATCIS_BA_AAMath
    Options
    Kroger Whey Protein Powder. A canister for $9.99 on the bottom shelf. Two scoops. in water, are cheap and do the job, without coughing or gagging. Chugs easily.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,199 Member
    Options
    Isopure - Toasted Coconut Protein Powder Is awesome.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,199 Member
    Options
    seaykelli wrote: »
    Have you tried isagenix? Ive been using the products for a week. I do 2 meal replacements and eat 3 clean meals. The chocolate is so delicious, its like chocolate pudding. The strawberry cream is my fav. They're loaded with nutrients, they have 18 different aminos, and full of vitamins and minerals. You can check out the products on my page. kelliseay.isagenix.com and yes im a real person who has real weight loss goals.

I've used this too and it's also fabulous.

• Determined_Missy
    Determined_Missy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use Andrew Lessman Ultimate Whey Powder. It mixes easily, no taste and really is filling. You can buy it on HSN with a 30 day guarantee. This is not something I sell and I don't own any stock in the company. :)

Missy
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    PeterRz wrote: »
    Optimum Nutrition NATURAL-- 100% Whey Protein. I use the chocolate. It's not overly sweet like many others. There's been lots of controversy about whether or not protein powders actually have what they claim. Many don't. Check labdoor to make sure.

Agree! ON Chocolate and Vanilla taste great. I mostly use supplemental protein in either mango or chocolate/peanut butter smoothies. I'm always looking for products with fewer ingredients and ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (no artificial flavors or sweetners) is pretty good. Price has increased quite a bit though :o .

• LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. Any flavor that suits you really. We use the vanilla creme to make flavored shakes or when I just want something basic. And the rocky road to cure sweet tooth. Really good mixed w/ almond vanilla milk or vanilla soy milk (light or regular), pb2 (peanut butter), and even add in a banana if you want. (Depending of course on the nutrients you need.) They even taste amazing just mixed with plain water. No gritty texture or residue as long as you mix with a shaker bottle or blender of course. And no horrible after taste. They haven't given me any digestion issues (which lower quality brands such as six star nutrition usually give digestion problems for most people).

There's also one by Fitmiss Delight-- Vanilla Chai which was alright but very weak and watery when mixed with even the minimal amount of water (4oz). If you try this one I would STRONGLY recommend mixing it with milk of some sort to thicken the shake or help the flavor retain.

Try some out, find what works for you. :smile:
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Question - can you cook with protein powders? Like, put a scoop of chocolatey flavour one into a sauce and make it molé-like?

Not sure about in sauces to make them like mole....but I have mixed some in to make pancake recipes, brownie recipes, used them as a replacement ingredient, etc. Test it out maybe?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I really like two: Allmax Hexapro "Decadent Chocolate Milkshake" for a guilt-free chocolate shake. use the scoop & some ice cubes, whip it up in the Vitamix & its just like a choc shake. I can't tell you how many of these I'll down on a hot summer day after doing a boatload of heavy yard work!

Trutein Cinnabun: excellent to make pancakes with.
    Trutein Mango Peach: ^^ another version.
    (okay, so 3 flavors, 2 brands. :) )

Timely thread. I've only relatively recently started incorporating powders into my daily routine. I'm (basically) PSMF-ing, and finding a lot of the time I'd rather just have a shake than so much as look at another piece of chicken breast. :smiley:

Trutein has limited distribution in Canada, and the place I tried ordering from had no Cinnebun in stock. In fact they didn't have most of the flavours in stock. So I popped over to SVN and ordered a couple of tubs of Hexapro (Choco Peanut Butter and Cookies & Cream).

Haven't tried casein powder before, looking forward to seeing if there's a gut-feel difference between that and the whey isolate i've been using until now.

We ordered the Trutein cinnabun flavour to Canada from that bb com site, you probably know what I'm referring to, but if not I can spell it out ;) just last month, and it is delicious!! Yum! We also ordered some samples directly from trutein and they were hit and miss, I will have to get the notes off my son's phone in the morning. I remember the red velvet was good (but not quite as good).

At the same time, we ordered two flavours of Muscle Milk, and they are nasty! We got the Graham Cracker and the Banana Cream... never again. What a waste of protein powder. Just so I'm not knocking all cytosport products, we also bought CytoCarb at the same time, and it mixes well and is flavourless. Please note, this is NOT a protein powder, just for people who need extra carbs (my kids) and calories. My son blends it in with his protein powder for a cheaper recovery drink.

If they ever put it on sale, we are also going to try the Jym Pro Jym, but it's pretty pricey.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I've used mine in banana bread, muffins, and to make my own protein bars. I haven't tried a sauce though.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    katerz86 wrote: »
    TuraCasey wrote: »
    I'm partial to Muscle Milk...although you may have to look around for flavors other than chocolate and vanilla, possibly online. it tastes good and has a decent amount of protein per serving. My 14 year old loves it, so that should tell you something. =0

I feel like giving a 14yr old protein powder may not be a good idea, is that safe?

Oh boy. Allowing a 14 year old to drink soda on the daily is far worse lol. Did you drink soda growing up? Yeah? It has caffeine. Caffeine can be pretty bad for you yet a lot of people have their morning coffee, soda, energy drink, etc. Protein Powder is far safer and if anything, benefits him if he plays any sports. It can be simply thought of as having a meal such as chicken which whaddaya know, has protein in it? Mind blowing stuff.

But to add onto the topic.

Cutler total protein is pretty good. S'mores flavor is really good.
  • PoeticGem
    PoeticGem Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like the VEGA protein & greens vanilla flavour 760ml was $34.99 at Costco - really good! I like that it tastes great with water.
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I really like MusclePharm Combat Protein. They have a pretty good variety of flavors and it mixes well in water. Tastes really good too!!! I order mine from massnutrition. They have some really good prices.
  • AmyCKay
    AmyCKay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dyna whey protein powder is great! Several flavors, mixes easily, 30g protein, 1g carb.
    But I also love the already pre made chocolate premium protein shakes on the go 30g protein and few g carbs I believe.