What Are Some Things You Wish You Had Known Before You Started?

Options
Just wondering what tips "Veteran" users have for beginners.

Thanks!

Replies

• 2sweet4sugar34
    2sweet4sugar34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Logging everything with perfect accuracy is nearly impossible and having a treat here and there won't ruin my progress.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That I don't need to do hours of cardio!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That carbs are not the enemy. Eating too much is :lol:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    How one day of excess sodium can affect the scale very dramatically.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    That weight loss is not linear and occasionally makes no sense. Eat over your calories for the week? Two pound loss. Everything perfect for a week? No loss.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That I wouldnt see results straight away and that it would take time and patience!
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    How one day of excess sodium can affect the scale very dramatically.

To add to this: after eating one meal, after going to the bathroom, weighing in the afternoon vs. first thing in the morning, etc. It's crazy. And I notice if I have a large amount of carbs, 200 g +, I'm usually a couple of pounds heavier for a few days.

As long as you're logging accurately, don't get hung up on what the scale is showing.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    How many local farms are food producers are actually available.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    How easy it actually was
  • DressedInDreams
    DressedInDreams Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How valuable a food scale is, and that CICO simply works.
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    How easy it actually was
    Yesssss!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The only things really is that it's ok if I go over occasionally, it only takes a few days to make up for it, and that weight loss is not linear and water weight is a b****. And to trust the math. Always trust the math. Log as accurately as possible, so you'll KNOW that you can't have gained fat and won't freak out if you gain a couple pounds.

But really, I knew I didn't have to cut foods etc... that's why I actually started in the first place.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    How difficult and emotional it would be to adjust to my new body. I was totally unprepared for that.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I've basically been eating nothing but candy since Christmas and am maintaining a 15 pound weight loss.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It is not (all) about your exercises...
    It is about how much you eat.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect; you don't have to be perfect when you start, you'll figure out what works for you as you go along, assuming you stick with it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not before I started, but I wish id realised how straightforward it is several years ago and then i'd have dealt with it.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Patience is the key, do not expect to lose it all in a few weeks or months. It really is all about tracking your intake. Buy a food scale immediately and use it for everything. Do not trust the user added foods on the MFP database to be accurate. Double check foods on the USDA website for calorie counts. Low carb works well for some people not all.... Same goes for calories in calories out... It is personal preference. Calories really do count. Eat less than you burn. Never eat back exercise calories. Do not trust the calorie burns listed on MFP they are generally way too high.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd been better prepared for the impact of extreme weight loss on my identity.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    I wish I'd been better prepared for the impact of extreme weight loss on my identity.

Do you feel comfortable elaborating on this? I've lost 54 pounds (more than a quarter of my start weight) and I am really struggling to see it at all most days.