People can be so unnerving...

My friend is a shorty like me. Okay a little shorter. I'm 5'2 and she's 5'0. Other than that, we are pretty much the same. I eat 1300-1500 a day depending on if I exercise. But she's only eating 1000-1100 a day and it's, a little unnerving for me. She doesn't exercise at all. She sits around most of the day.

I'm not sure if this is healthy for her, but her diet seems okay-ish to me, if a little boring. I've tried convincing her to eat more, but she says she doesn't need more food and she's convinced she's healthy. This is about what she eats EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Breakfast: 1 slice whole wheat toast, half cup cottage cheese with 1 fruit.

AM Snack: 1 rice cake with 1 teaspoon peanut butter

Lunch: 200g chicken breast, boneless skinless flavoured with spices. 250grams mixed vegetables. (She's taken to buying frozen mixed veg like me, the mixes are mostly non-starchy stir fry veg).

PM Snack: Some almonds, not sure how much

Dinner: 200g white fish, pan fried in 1 tablespoon extra light margarine and spices, with 250g mixed vegetables.

This diet kind of seems balanced to me, it's just the quantity that I'm worried about. But I can't convince her to eat more with all the rabbit grub (veggies haha) she's eating because they fill her up. What would you tell her?

Oh, and the quantities above are based on me knowing how many packages of those things she goes through. We buy at the same store, and same brands (we go shopping together).

The devil in me wants to sneak some nutella into her cart sometimes...
«13

Replies

  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Tell her nothing and tend to yourself. Unless you're with her 24/7, you have no idea what she's eating.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    honestly being that short and doing 0 activity she might be a rare case that can get away on that little. though eventually she will probably tire of the lack of variety in her diet. rather than up the calories (unless she starts working out) i would say add some variety. u get different nutrients from different foods
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    The frustrating part is she's two glasses of milk away from eating the same amount as me, but nope. Stubborn.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Let her take care of her self. Unless she is eating absolutely nothing, it's none of your business
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    All you can do is share your knowledge. What she does with it is her business. If you do well and enjoy your diet she may want to copy you. If not, it's up to her.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    True I guess it isn't my business. Just my kind heart wanting to help...if I had one.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Leana088 wrote: »
    True I guess it isn't my business. Just my kind heart wanting to help...if I had one.

    Lead by example woman. You kicking butt should be enough for her to see. You know the saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink".
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    I'm a total cardio bunny, but if she has chosen to forgo exercise and the extra calories, that's her choice. I don't believe in VLCDs but I have had very tiny friends eat around 1100 calories and be healthy with it. If you've already said your piece, don't bring it up again. You're her friend, not her mom.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    All you can do is share your knowledge. What she does with it is her business. If you do well and enjoy your diet she may want to copy you. If not, it's up to her.
    ^^^ That
    Do your own thing, let her worry about herself, if she asks or comments on it, then give her the benefit of your knowledge and advice. Forcing the issues will just cause issues in your friendship.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    I won't say anything. She tried to push it onto me once, and then while looking at her, I ate a cupcake. She looked so disgusted for a while. Lol :trollface:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Why am I impressed with her 200g of chicken breast? That woman is serious about her protein haha. :) Also seems a lot like my 238g of chicken thigh dinner last night. Also does she use any oil etc to prepare her foods? She could indeed be eating more than the 1000-1100 calories you think she is. Hopefully if she gets bored of her meals, she will add gradually rather than go crazy. The diet base doesn't look too too bad for a tiny, sedentary woman, to me
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Why am I impressed with her 200g of chicken breast? That woman is serious about her protein haha. :) Also seems a lot like my 238g of chicken thigh dinner last night. Also does she use any oil etc to prepare her foods? She could indeed be eating more than the 1000-1100 calories you think she is. Hopefully if she gets bored of her meals, she will add gradually rather than go crazy. The diet base doesn't look too too bad for a tiny, sedentary woman, to me

    I actually, for curiosity purposes, entered her diet into my diary, on my macros. She gave me the "blueprint" for it when she wanted me to try it...

    She is actually eating about 1050-1100 a day, and hitting all MY macros, except for fat. Heck she even gets 25g of fibre a day, which I struggle with. And she's getting her 100g of protein a day. She gets about 20g of fat a day. I think...not too sure now. I just remember being impressed with the fibre and protein.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Considering I'm 5 feet tall and MFP has me at 1260 calories a day to lose 0.5lb/week...1100 really isn't too far off depending on what her weight is if she really and truly hardly moves at all.

    I played around with this calculator:

    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

    And at my goal weight of 115, it gives me 1243 calories if I'm pretty much inactive.

    So....not really a stretch for her to eat so little, depending on her current weight.

    I would leave it alone unless you notice she looks unwell. She seems to be eating nutritious enough stuff so she can't be doing too much harm.

    ~Lyssa
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Leana088 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Why am I impressed with her 200g of chicken breast? That woman is serious about her protein haha. :) Also seems a lot like my 238g of chicken thigh dinner last night. Also does she use any oil etc to prepare her foods? She could indeed be eating more than the 1000-1100 calories you think she is. Hopefully if she gets bored of her meals, she will add gradually rather than go crazy. The diet base doesn't look too too bad for a tiny, sedentary woman, to me

    I actually, for curiosity purposes, entered her diet into my diary, on my macros. She gave me the "blueprint" for it when she wanted me to try it...

    She is actually eating about 1050-1100 a day, and hitting all MY macros, except for fat. Heck she even gets 25g of fibre a day, which I struggle with. And she's getting her 100g of protein a day. She gets about 20g of fat a day. I think...not too sure now. I just remember being impressed with the fibre and protein.

    Frankly, since you exercise and she doesn't, and we have no idea what her accurately logged day might look like, she might actually be netting more calories than you...

  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Unfortunately, us short ladies don't need much to get by... I wish I was a bit taller for so many reasons!

    I think she's doing better than most with those calories. Lots of protein in there! Maybe encouraging her to go on a walk would be better. Though, you can't change people ;)
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    As far as minerals and vitamins go, I don't think she'd be too far off. The mixed vegetable packs have a lot of variety. There are different mixes. I use them too, I don't eat as much as she currently does (friggen 500grams of veg a day), I eat about half that a day of those mixes, and my recent blood work came back with no deficiencies.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Unsubscribe...
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Unsubscribe...

    Who?