Are women really so fragile?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'll write a shortened version of what didnt post originally -

I've been reading up a lot about how to lose weight the healthiest way and it seems like there's so much info out there about women's fertility being affected by calorie restriction, carb restriction, eating less frequently... Which are the ways to lose weight. :\

It kind of freaked me out a bit because I want to lose around 15kg. I know the way my body loses weight easily is by eating light during the day (fruit, nuts) and then having a larger meal in the evening. I googled it and it just came up with a load of PEO
    Le talking about how their bodies had been damaged by calorie restriction, one woman even said that by skipping breakfast and eating light during the day her body went into menopause at 35!

Can anyone restore my faith in a woman's body to be strong and beautiful, and not self distruct at the slightest stress like a lot of people seem to think? :\
    Visit your doctor if you're that concerned

Sometimes when you dump massive quantities of fat from your body, things get messed up for a while as far as your cycle but it's usually temporary and quite normal. Again, talk to your doc if you're concerned. The health benefits of losing weight should far outweigh what I unfortunately do see as paranoia, here.

Meal timing has no effect on weight loss, though it could affect your satiety and therefore your ability to consume less calories than your body burns over the duration it will take you to lose weight. Calories in, calories out ;) Only do the meal and small snacks whatever thing if that's what you really want
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Long time lurker, first time poster here

What?
    For some reason the whole long post doesn't seem to have posted grrr x_x lol

Ohhh, I see.

No jumping, just was expecting more. Then saw the explanation. I would consult your doctor on that.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I've been reading up a lot about how to lose weight the healthiest way and it seems like there's so much info out there about women's fertility being affected by calorie restriction, carb restriction, eating less frequently... Which are the ways to lose weight. :\

It kind of freaked me out a bit because I want to lose around 15kg. I know the way my body loses weight easily is by eating light during the day (fruit, nuts) and then having a larger meal in the evening. I googled it and it just came up with a load of PEO
    Le talking about how their bodies had been damaged by calorie restriction, one woman even said that by skipping breakfast and eating light during the day her body went into menopause at 35!

Can anyone restore my faith in a woman's body to be strong and beautiful, and not self distruct at the slightest stress like a lot of people seem to think? :\

ok
    - we need a certain amount of body fat for all systems to be go
    - there's some stuff about how we might be more sensitive to fluctuations in blood sugar than men, re intermittent fasting, but that's not true for everyone and it doesn't preclude just a normal dietary deficit. imo going with a slow and steady loss is more sustainable anyway.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Um, no... at least I haven't had any changes in my periods or negative health effects.
    If by "eating lightly" you mean eating less than 1200 consistently then that could have a negative impact on anyone's health.
  • RoseWhiteBrooke
    RoseWhiteBrooke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

My fertility actually got better with weight loss. So much so that I had a baby in January. Just sayin'.

Congratulations! And thanks. I have had a bit of trouble with irregular cycles and was hoping being healthier might help

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Over restricting calories can lead to fertility problems. For some women with hormonal problems like PCOS, losing weight AND restricting their carbs actually restores their fertility.

Excess weight can have an estrogenic effect on your hormone balance even in the absence of a condition of PCOS and eating at a reasonable caloric restriction on a diet of balanced macros could have a positive outcome on fertility if this is the case as well.

With 30 pounds to lose, just set your goal for a reasonable deficit to lose 1 pound a week, and your fertility should be fine.
  • RoseWhiteBrooke
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Anyone can write something on the internet, there's no IQ test or credentials required. You don't even need training to call yourself a nutritionist. I know women who've lost weight a lot of ways, some healthy, some unhealthy, some more successful than others. There's no rampant infertility spreading among them for their efforts. To the contrary, one of the main other sites I use re: weight loss is teeming with women who have PCOS and are suddenly popping up pregnant after being able to finally lose weight.

That's reassuring to hear!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    what I've read is mostly that women who restrict overmuch (I don't remember an exact amount, but in guessing it's below 1200) and women who have low body fat percentages seem to be the ones that have fertility issues. I think that it would be safe to say that if you're attempting a moderate deficit, and a moderate eating style (ie. Not extremely low carb or any other macro) you should be able to lose weight without damaging your reproductive hormones.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I think that you should never believe anything you read on the internet with out scientific proof, case studies, etc.. just because it is there on your screen..

Do your research on woman's issues that are important to you and even speak to your doctor...

I am not sure the meaning or what you are looking for in this post. sorry just saying...
  • RoseWhiteBrooke
    Options
    Over restricting calories can lead to fertility problems. For some women with hormonal problems like PCOS, losing weight AND restricting their carbs actually restores their fertility.

Excess weight can have an estrogenic effect on your hormone balance even in the absence of a condition of PCOS and eating at a reasonable caloric restriction on a diet of balanced macros could have a positive outcome on fertility if this is the case as well.

With 30 pounds to lose, just set your goal for a reasonable deficit to lose 1 pound a week, and your fertility should be fine.

Yeah, I used to naturally eat light during the day and have my main meal in the evening because I felt better like that - started following guidelines of 3 square meals and I put on quite a lot of weight and since then I've had spots on my face which I never ever had previously :\
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I guess if someone yo yo' s from crap miracle diet to the next and doesn't provide their body with a healthy and nutritional diet then it could happen. I'm thinking its a real extreme though and probably fairly uncommon imo
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I know all those words individually, but in that order, they are just gibberish. Talk to one of those guys, the guys with the things, you know who I mean . . . doctors! Man, that was going to bug me all day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I'm just gonna wave my arm around in a circle and say "All of this!"
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

My fertility actually got better with weight loss. So much so that I had a baby in January. Just sayin'.

Congratulations! And thanks. I have had a bit of trouble with irregular cycles and was hoping being healthier might help

I had irregular periods (but not PCOS), and once I started losing weight they started becoming more regular the more I lost.
  • RoseWhiteBrooke
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I think that you should never believe anything you read on the internet with out scientific proof, case studies, etc.. just because it is there on your screen..

Do your research on woman's issues that are important to you and even speak to your doctor...

I am not sure the meaning or what you are looking for in this post. sorry just saying...

I suppose I'm looking for the same as anyone else who posts on such forums, to hear other peoples views. :)

In terms of studies, a lot of the blogs I read back up their claims with some study or another - I think that with a topic like health and weight loss, there are so many different opinions from "professionals" who would show different studies to support their viewpoint that it can be a minefield trying to decipher what is best for you. And it took my doctor 18 months to diagnose severe anaemia, to the point my hair fell out etc, so I try and learn more about my body now too

• RoseWhiteBrooke
    Options

I had irregular periods (but not PCOS), and once I started losing weight they started becoming more regular the more I lost.

That's really great! Can I ask how many calories you ate per day to lose? :)
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who had their period stop for years because they were too underweight, and once they reached a healthy weight and their cycle returned, they had kids, though I don't know how long it took them to get pregnant. As others have said, I'd consult with your doctor but I'd say you'd probably be fine if you don't have any other conditions that could affect fertility.

To quote the Kimmy Schmidt theme song: "females are strong as hell."
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I suppose I'm looking for the same as anyone else who posts on such forums, to hear other peoples views. :)

In terms of studies, a lot of the blogs I read back up their claims with some study or another - I think that with a topic like health and weight loss, there are so many different opinions from "professionals" who would show different studies to support their viewpoint that it can be a minefield trying to decipher what is best for you. And it took my doctor 18 months to diagnose severe anaemia, to the point my hair fell out etc, so I try and learn more about my body now too

At the risk of being a prying snoopy buttinsky, what, if anything, were you doing with your diet to result in severe anemia?
  • RoseWhiteBrooke
    Options

I know all those words individually, but in that order, they are just gibberish. Talk to one of those guys, the guys with the things, you know who I mean . . . doctors! Man, that was going to bug me all day.

Hahah I'm really confused, was that an insult or a joke or what?