Diet coke

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I love when people use scare tactics like that's the same as pumping embalming fluid in your body or scary chemical names to convince someone to give something up, ala the Food Babe.

My other favorite is when someone posts on Facebook every few years that they use diet coke to hose out the coke trucks because it's basically a cleaning fluid. Yeah. Ok.

I love Diet Coke and have been drinking it for 20+ years. If you don't enjoy it, then by all means, switch to something else. But it makes me sad when people enjoy something that is not harmful to them, and a random non scientific source read something online and convinces you with fear mongering tactics that you should give it up.
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    that's why i stopped talking to my stepfather, but it's not the only reason. some people will believe anything they hear. for a long time he tried to tell me coke was full of paint thinner etc. the fact is the FDA would never approve of something so large in amount it would kill us. the amounts of these chemicals, present are not, are so trace they can do no harm.

i like coke zero.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    With the increasing number of people such as food babe, dr is, and the banana diet girl, we're all going to die from overconsumption of lettuce, since it seems that's the only healthy thing for us.
  • gs273
    gs273 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is my 2 cents....
    As almost all of you know, diet colas are quite safe for most people and a great refreshment!

I will only point out the few exceptions.
    1) If you have kidney disease you should be aware that cola is a bit harder on the kidneys.
    2) For some diabetics and those with insulin resistance, the non-calorie sweeteners can still cause an insulin reaction and therefore those people will do well to consider that in their daily choices.
    3) Some people need to pay attention to the amount and time of day they consume caffeine. Again, doesn't mean you can't have diet cola, just means you are aware of how it affects you individually.

For me personally, during the work-a-holic years of my business life, I consumed coffee and Diet Pepsi from the time I got up to the middle of the night... often 2 to 3am. I was consuming a 12pack of Diet Pepsi a day at least. I now have adrenal insufficiency, which is hard to live with, and years of excessive caffeine was one of the contributing factors. Diet Pepsi in and of itself does NOT cause illness. But my lesson is MODERATION.

MODERATION in many aspects of life is the way to go.

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, absolutely. If a medical condition tells you stay away from something, do it.

I can't drink caffeine too much in the evening because of RLS. I forgot and had a sugar free red bull about 1800 hrs last night. I ran marathons in my sleep-hey, can I log that as exercise!? LOL
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I have a diet soda everyday.

OP - as long as you aren't having diet soda morning, noon, and night....I don't see the harm. All things in moderation.

Same here. My Diet Coke "time" is about 2 or 3 pm, every day at work. I take a break, get my Diet Coke, and back to work. I usually drink about half of a 20 Oz bottle.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I seriously love Diet Coke, and have ever since it hit the market in 1982- mainly because it was such a vast improvement over its predecessor- Tab.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have drank diet colas ( and regular ones before that ) all my life. In High School, when I weighed like maybe 110- or so, all I had for breakfast was Dr. Pepper then another at lunch. Now... I'd rather NOT have Aspertame. Nowadays..I mostly choose Diet Rite Cola. Diet Drinks have saved me many many calories over the years. Yes,I'd like to cut down. I am sure water is better and Diet Colas can get expensive if you drink a lot, like I always have. I am truly a 'Dietcoke-a-holic' Drinking one now. Yum!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Diet Coke will absolutely kill you because it doesn't taste as good as Coke Zero. Also, every person who has ever drank water will die.

LMAO! Co-signed !!!

And Coke Zero with a twist of lime, even better!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE diet coke, and then my husband's uncle explained to me all I was doing was pumping embalming fluid into my body slowing poisoning myself. So whenever you want that coke just picture a morgue with a body being pumped full of diet coke. That ended my relationship with ALL Soda. I just can't look at them the same anymore. Hopefully I ruined it for you too..
    Your husband's uncle is wrong. Yes there is formaldehyde formation, but the dosage is so minute. If you really believe it's that bad, make sure to stop eating citrus fruits and certain other vegetables that cause formaldehyde formation to.
    It pays to actually research what's being told to you rather than just believe it because someone close to you told you it was true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Y'all can drink aspartame all you want but the stuff is crap. Period. I don't understand how people think it's okay. I don't know. I was there, I loved my diet dew and no one could take it from me without experiencing my wrath. I wouldn't touch the stuff ever again, but that's just me.
    With no actual evidence that it causes issues with the general population (PKU sufferers of course can't drink it), what's there to understand?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I used to have a big diet coke habit. I'm a dental nurse and decided to give it up because it's acidic and terrible for your teeth. I'll still have one every now and then but it's not something people should be drinking daily.
    It's terrible for teeth IF one's oral hygiene is terrible. I've drank it daily for 25+ years. Strong enamel, no cavities, and teeth are strong. I also floss everyday, brush a least 2 times a day and rinse my mouth after eating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    In my experience, although I love Diet Coke, it makes my joints sore, makes me bloated and slows my weight loss. It actually makes me crave sweets...you know all that research they talk about the sweeteners confusing the body...all that jazz. Aspartame actually does have elements that convert to formaldehyde-type substances and have been shown to cause tumors...people, do homework!
  • runnin_wyiles
    runnin_wyiles Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The nutrition list is not near as important as the ingredient list. Everyone who says that it is good for you let me ask.. Is it better to fill your body full of chemicals, or put in natural ingredients that our ancestors used to live off of. I don't think that all these unnatural chemicals are the best choice to be putting into our bodies.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The nutrition list is not near as important as the ingredient list. Everyone who says that it is good for you let me ask.. Is it better to fill your body full of chemicals, or put in natural ingredients that our ancestors used to live off of. I don't think that all these unnatural chemicals are the best choice to be putting into our bodies.
    Lol, "unnatural" chemicals? You do know that aspartic acid and phenylalaine are amino acids? And BTW, everything on Earth we consume is chemically bonded. The body can't tell the difference when it comes to a grass fed steak and hamburger meat from McDonald's. It just breaks it down to it's simplest form (amino acids for both) and absorbs it.
    Also our ancestors from long ago drank dirty water. I'd rather have "chemically" cleaned water.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• smallcoder
    smallcoder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Having given up drinking beer and alcohol in general (except for special occasions) I have to say that Diet Coke or Pepsi (I am not affiliated either way lol) provides the perfect tonic to keep me going through the day. I sure do drink a lot of it but then i cannot stand regular sweetened sodas anymore. Now I'm just starting my diet I'll be relying on this old friend to see me through to the end. Can;t beat a nice ice cold diet cola mmm.
  • Lizaq2167
    Lizaq2167 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a diet coke or soda in 6 months. I found some amazing products that have helped me with my sugar cravings, lose 46 lbs, help me get off my nightly sleeping pills, got rid of my plantar fasciitis, no more depression and anxiety. There are supplements out there that can help with so many health problems. I'm so glad I have found my answer finally after all these years.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    JenD1066 wrote: »
    I seriously love Diet Coke, and have ever since it hit the market in 1982- mainly because it was such a vast improvement over its predecessor- Tab.

This reminds me of Back To the Future which probably few in this thread are old enough to remember...

Marty: "I'll take a Tab"
    Soda Jerk: "son I can't give you a tab until you order something"
    Marty: "I'll take a Pepsi Free"
    Soda Jerk: "you wanna Pepsi you're gonna pay for it"

• WinoGelato
    Options

The ancestors that had a life expectancy of their 20s, 30s, 40s?

Yeah I'm good with consuming chemicals that they didn't. I also take advantage of advances in medicine and vaccinate my kids...