364 pounds ..Help x

Options
124»

Replies

• minkeemoo
    minkeemoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are not insulin resistant. You can do this by going to your doctor and getting a blood test.

It's imperative because calories in v calories out may not work for you! I will get shot down by people here but in my experience I cannot eat everything in moderation. A lot of people can but many cant.

My doctor headed me in the direction of little to no carbs or sugar. I don't count calories, I just don't eat sugar or carbs. I have lost 25kg in less than 4 months (with no loss during a 3week Holiday in America).

Low Carb Community:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Hi many thanks for your reply...I have had a recent blood test and thank fully everything was ok ...but well done such a great achievement I'm glad you are feeling better x
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Positive reinforcement! Make small, achievable goals and reward yourself (with something other than food). Whether it's a manicure, a haircut, a trip to the movies, a day trip, some new arts/craft supplies, a pair of shoes you've been wanting, etc. I've found that if you're heavy enough that you don't get the reinforcement of immediately SEEING a 10-pound weight loss (as was the case for me i the beginning), it really helps to give yourself some external reinforcement to keep you on track.

And log EVERYTHING, even if you go 1,000 calories over! Don't pretend you didn't eat those extra calories; log them, even if it sucks. Having that -1,000 count there will make you more mindful the next day.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and pictures. I regret not doing that because 70lbs later and I still don't see my progress because all I've ever paid attention to was the number on the scale. Measurements will help you realize just how far you've come. Make sure you never give up your favorite foods, but that you just eat a lot less of them. Giving them up completely will just drive you insane and make you binge. Don't give up when you have bad days...they will happen and they are normal. Just start over again the next day. And remember that you didn't gain your weight after a bad day, so that one bad day you have won't make you gain it all back. You can do it! :) Good luck!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to MFP! My start weight was 336 pounds so I know how you feel just now. But you're in the perfect place to lose the weight! I will give you a few pieces of advice that I picked up along the way:

1. Buy a food scale and use it. Weigh everything (and measure liquids using measuring spoons)
    2. Log everything! Every lick, nibble and slurp! Even if you know you are going to go over your calorie goal, log it! It feels terrible at first, but being honest means you can analyse the data at a later date and spot patterns (eg carb cravings once a month that get out of control ;) )
    3. Take progress photos. I was mortified at first doing this, but am so glad I did! A picture will help you look at your progress in a much better way than the mirror. It can take a while for your brain to catch up seeing a smaller person in the mirror!
    4. Make friends. A support network is invaluable. Add individuals on here who you feel will be supportive, honest, and perhaps have the same goals as you (this one is personal preference). I added friends quite late in my journey but wish I had earlier!

Best of luck! You can do this! I am 73 pounds down so far and after maintaining pretty much for a short while, am ready to lose the rest now, myself!
  • minkeemoo
    Options
    soidade wrote: »
    Positive reinforcement! Make small, achievable goals and reward yourself (with something other than food). Whether it's a manicure, a haircut, a trip to the movies, a day trip, some new arts/craft supplies, a pair of shoes you've been wanting, etc. I've found that if you're heavy enough that you don't get the reinforcement of immediately SEEING a 10-pound weight loss (as was the case for me i the beginning), it really helps to give yourself some external reinforcement to keep you on track.

And log EVERYTHING, even if you go 1,000 calories over! Don't pretend you didn't eat those extra calories; log them, even if it sucks. Having that -1,000 count there will make you more mindful the next day.

Hi thanks very much .. great advice and I shall follow it x I can feel a nw handbag coming on haha x Hope your having a great week x
  • minkeemoo
    Options
    Take measurements and pictures. I regret not doing that because 70lbs later and I still don't see my progress because all I've ever paid attention to was the number on the scale. Measurements will help you realize just how far you've come. Make sure you never give up your favorite foods, but that you just eat a lot less of them. Giving them up completely will just drive you insane and make you binge. Don't give up when you have bad days...they will happen and they are normal. Just start over again the next day. And remember that you didn't gain your weight after a bad day, so that one bad day you have won't make you gain it all back. You can do it! :) Good luck!

Hiya Aw thanks very much x Well done!!70lbs is amazing xx and I am going to do my measurements today :-) great idea x :-) xx
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Am sue theyve all pointed you to good advice, look at the success part of the forum to see how others have done it and good luck. Toy cna get there if you are consistent, its 100% possible, but rady your mind for it taking some time as being unrealistic can be a diet killer.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    If you're one for visual goals... I love the two glass jars and marbles thing. You get as many marbles you need for the weight you'd like to lose... Have a jar saying "weight lost" and as you lose the pounds you can add the marbles to the weight lost jar. Visual motivations are great if you're a big kid like me!

I use the 1 pound boxes of butter (the ones with 4 quarter sticks in it) as a mental reminder when I feel like things are moving too slowly. 1 box of butter equals 1 pound of fat lost:) Love these visuals! -Nancy
  • minkeemoo
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to MFP! My start weight was 336 pounds so I know how you feel just now. But you're in the perfect place to lose the weight! I will give you a few pieces of advice that I picked up along the way:

1. Buy a food scale and use it. Weigh everything (and measure liquids using measuring spoons)
    2. Log everything! Every lick, nibble and slurp! Even if you know you are going to go over your calorie goal, log it! It feels terrible at first, but being honest means you can analyse the data at a later date and spot patterns (eg carb cravings once a month that get out of control ;) )
    3. Take progress photos. I was mortified at first doing this, but am so glad I did! A picture will help you look at your progress in a much better way than the mirror. It can take a while for your brain to catch up seeing a smaller person in the mirror!
    4. Make friends. A support network is invaluable. Add individuals on here who you feel will be supportive, honest, and perhaps have the same goals as you (this one is personal preference). I added friends quite late in my journey but wish I had earlier!

Best of luck! You can do this! I am 73 pounds down so far and after maintaining pretty much for a short while, am ready to lose the rest now, myself!

Hi thanks for your reply. .. you have done amazing xx great advice ..u hope I can do as well as you x have a great week xx
  • madcat444
    madcat444 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your journey, take each day as it comes and try not to stress out too much over bad days - they happen to all of us :)
  • minkeemoo
    Options
    Thank you :) great advice x hope you have a great week
  • minkeemoo
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Am sue theyve all pointed you to good advice, look at the success part of the forum to see how others have done it and good luck. Toy cna get there if you are consistent, its 100% possible, but rady your mind for it taking some time as being unrealistic can be a diet killer.

Thank you great advice xx