Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I usually do but not on purpose, lol.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I aim to keep my deficit at 500 calories. This means that I have to eat more when I exercise because my total daily calorie burn increases for the day.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I don't, and just started this a few weeks ago because I was eating all of my exercise calories back. I eat about 1800-1900 calories a day and exercise 4 or 5 times a week, some days are less active than others.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, all of them.
  • diemos9
    diemos9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, all of them.

Lol!!!!

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back some of my exercise calories. But usually less than half.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    yes i eat my calories burned off
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I usually do but not on purpose, lol.

Haha me too!

My intention was not to eat them back. I was good for the first week because I wasn't hungry...
    Now, a month later, I try and eat as few back as possible. Some days I succeed, other days not so much :flushed:

• sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No not really. Especially since I have no idea how accurate those "calories burned" on the tredmil and other machines actually are. I use exercise as a metabolism booster and to keep myself active/in-shape but all my calorie deficient is based on my diet alone.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat at my TDEE and therefore don't even record the number of calories that I burn during my daily exercise sessions.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    diemos9 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, all of them.

Lol!!!!

I'm serious! I'm not being a smart aleck :)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    hells yes!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    No not really. Especially since I have no idea how accurate those "calories burned" on the tredmil and other machines actually are. I use exercise as a metabolism booster and to keep myself active/in-shape but all my calorie deficient is based on my diet alone.

I agree with this. I don't eat them back, as there is no way to know exactly how much I burned.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    no
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yep B)
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    No, I eat at my TDEE so i dont have to worry about eating back cause i get to eat enough to begin with. I am training for a marathon though and on really long runs 2+ hours i usually eat back those days since i can burn well around 1500+ calories
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    sometimes. only if im really hungry that day/
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Depends on what my burn is and what kind of exercise I'm doing. I try not to eat any of them back but I usually eat some, a minuscule amount, back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The inherent flaw in this is that you are not accounting for exercise activity then...so essentially your deficit is bigger than intended. Not a huge issue if most of your exercise activity is light and of relatively short duration...the more rigorous your exercise is, the more important it is to properly account for and thus fuel that activity.

Exercise is really good for you...moderate to vigorous exercise is also a big time stress on the body...energy (calories) and nutrients are required for proper recovery as well as fitness gains and performance. One of the reasons MFP utilizes this particular method (as flawed as it is) is to teach people how to properly fuel fitness activities and rather than using those activities to lose weight, use diet for weight control and exercise for the sake of fitness.

But yes, you're correct...it can be difficult to estimate burn and many people do overestimate that burn and also underestimate their intake. You will never get and exact burn...it's all an estimate...but there are ways to estimate your burn pretty closely. Also, this is one of the numerous reasons why people who exercise with regularity and consistency ultimately transition to the TDEE method.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    today i did..... complete with chocolate pie and beer. LOLOLOL