Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    diemos9 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, all of them.

Lol!!!!

Why LOL?
    Don't you understand how this tool is supposed to work?

BTW - in case you don't understand TDEE either, people following the TDEE method have included exercise in their calculations.

You might notice a correlation between people who have been successful and eat back their exercise calories - just a thought.
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    I eat about half of them back.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No not really. Especially since I have no idea how accurate those "calories burned" on the tredmil and other machines actually are. I use exercise as a metabolism booster and to keep myself active/in-shape but all my calorie deficient is based on my diet alone.

The inherent flaw in this is that you are not accounting for exercise activity then...so essentially your deficit is bigger than intended. Not a huge issue if most of your exercise activity is light and of relatively short duration...the more rigorous your exercise is, the more important it is to properly account for and thus fuel that activity.

Exercise is really good for you...moderate to vigorous exercise is also a big time stress on the body...energy (calories) and nutrients are required for proper recovery as well as fitness gains and performance. One of the reasons MFP utilizes this particular method (as flawed as it is) is to teach people how to properly fuel fitness activities and rather than using those activities to lose weight, use diet for weight control and exercise for the sake of fitness.

But yes, you're correct...it can be difficult to estimate burn and many people do overestimate that burn and also underestimate their intake. You will never get and exact burn...it's all an estimate...but there are ways to estimate your burn pretty closely. Also, this is one of the numerous reasons why people who exercise with regularity and consistency ultimately transition to the TDEE method.

Very true. Considering the fact that I have finals coming up and an MCAT test, I have had no time for regular vigorous exercise. I do indulge myself more in calories when I work out a lot and more regularly if that's of any consideration!
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    I try not to but sometimes if I know I'm gonna drink alcohol that day, I'll workout extra hard so I can at least drink back the calories haha
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Some of them. my exercise calories are my insurance. I automatically eat some beforehand to fuel my workout and then I will eat additional calories depending if im hungry and if i want to kin of supersize/ upgrade my meal. It also creates a chocolate and chips allowance for me.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I eat a portion of them back. Especially if I'm truly hungry.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Almost always eat all of them back. I've been doing this a year, and have lost 50+ pounds eating back what MFP estimates my burns at
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.
  • smariba
    smariba Posts: 10 Member
    I try not to but sometimes if I know I'm gonna drink alcohol that day, I'll workout extra hard so I can at least drink back the calories haha

So I essentially do the same thing. On days I know I'll be eating more I exercise just so I can eat the calories burned...... or in this case drink them if needed.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I prelog my food every morning. This makes it easier to know how much exercise I need to do. I "try" and leave 300-500 calories in the piggy bank. Which is easier said than done :bawling:
  • UnknownAX0
    UnknownAX0 Posts: 24 Member
    i try not to and i used to do cardio for 2 hour/day but if was feeling too hungry then i would eat half my exercise calories back
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'm finding I do not eat them all back but tend to leave a couple hundred calories in the green on significant exercise days. I seem to have sufficient energy for exercise and I figure I probably make calorie in estimation mistakes from time to time. I plan on continuing this approach as long as the appears to be tracking my 1kg/week loss objective.
  • leslieanneupton
    leslieanneupton Posts: 6 Member
    I will sometimes if I'm feeling snacky. Mostly I try not to because I'm always anxious I'm not burning as many calories as my fitbit/MFP says I am. That being said if I worked out, got some calories in the bank and I want a little late night snack, I go for it.
  • Ciler_80
    Ciler_80 Posts: 106 Member
    This.
    No not really. Especially since I have no idea how accurate those "calories burned" on the tredmil and other machines actually are. I use exercise as a metabolism booster and to keep myself active/in-shape but all my calorie deficient is based on my diet alone.

• pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    I do, but not all of them, usually. Looking back, I am usually about 1000 calories per week under my MFP target, and I am losing weight at the target rate. This suggests that either my counting calories is not exact enough or MFP overestimates calories burned in exercise. All told I am probably eating back 50% - 66% of my exercise.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I eat a portion of them back. My personal rule is to make sure that I net at least 1200 calories a day (my daily goal is 1460).