Drop calories or do cardio? Which would you prefer?

Options

Replies

• mtvstaff
    mtvstaff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    mtvstaff wrote: »

I understand what calculator you used, can you explain what is in the calculation of 1983 calories ?

That's what I burn sedentary based on no movement. Doing nothing this is what my body burns.

What does not eating for 3 or 5 hours have to do with anything? = Based on your BMR you could burn equivalent calories per hour instead of jogging or doing cardio. :D

Basal Metabolic Rate is measured under the following conditions:
    The person is lying at rest.
    The person has just awoken from a normal overnight sleep.
    Ten to 12 hours have elapsed since the person's last meal
    No physical activity has taken place - usually for 12-18 hours.

Your calculator does not represent the basic physiological functions such as breathing and blood circulation.
    BMR cannot be measured correctly with an on-line calculator.

BMR and RMR are often used interchangeably, but differ slightly, RMR is measured three to four hours after a person eats or does significant physical work. RMR tends to be somewhat higher than BMR and is more practical for measuring.

RMR is tipically 60-75% of your energy expenditure. 10% thermic effect of food and 15-30% Physical activity.

Things that can increase RMR are: higher total body weight, gender, ambient temperature, caffeine, smoking, increased lean body mass, pregnancy, hyperthyroidism, some medications, genetics.

Things that can decrease RMR are: aging, gender, fasting / starvation, hypothyroidism, sleep, some medications, and genetics.

Which brings me to my problem with your statement, " Based on your BMR you could burn equivalent calories per hour instead of jogging or doing cardio. :D " An average 80 KG (175 lb) person burns approximately 95 calories per hour sleeping or doing absolutely nothing. The same person burns 1273 calories per hour running @ 10 miles per hour.

Lets use your Quote:

My BMR being Sedentary is 1983 Calories per day. So if you divide that by 24 hours (1 Day) 1983 divided by 24 = 82.625 Calories per hour being burnt over a 24hour period (And use I know we sleep and metab etc but keeping things simple) So lets say if I don't eat 3 hours i would burn 3x 82.625 = 247.875 Calories. Or say I don't eat for 5 hours thats 413 Calories! Now how long would i have to walk or jog on the treadmill to gain the same calorie loss?

To answer your question. Your 5 hours is equivalent to, "about 20 Minutes of my running" @ 1273 per hour / 60 minutes X 20 minutes = 424 calories which leaves me with 11 more calories. PLUS the next 4 hours and 40 minutes of calories being burned, which is higher than your RMR because of, " EPOC, " Excess, Post-Exercise, Oxygen, Consumption: a state where the body is burning more calories following exercise than BEFORE the exercise was initiated: Following exercise, the body must utilize increased amounts of oxygen to replenish energy supplies, lower tissue temperature, and return the body to a resting state, all of which requires calories to do.

I'm sorry it had to end this way, I hope I entertained you but your statement is incorrect. I'm glad to here that what ever it is, its working for you, but it would never work for me and I commend you for defending it all day. Well done !

Meanwhile...

Please go Find a Sharp tip of an object and touch it............... Because you are missing the point.

The Basic reason for the post was to give a perspective/approach on how one might be thinking.. to aid in their mission to achieve a desired goal. IF thinking this way helps then take it on board and utilise it. like it did for me. you can argue my concept but not my results and my results are from my concept. :)

I see others have grasped the idea and my perspective by you lack somewhat.

You said the following:*

Your calculator does not represent the basic physiological functions such as breathing and blood circulation.

BMR and RMR are often used interchangeably, but differ slightly, RMR is measured three to four hours after a person eats or does significant physical work. RMR tends to be somewhat higher than BMR and is more practical for measuring.

RMR is tipically 60-75% of your energy expenditure. 10% thermic effect of food and 15-30% Physical activity.

ANSWER:

"OK, Thank you for sharing?" lol? Did I ask for a technical break down. No, as its not needed to achieve the result in my example. As I understand what I am saying, But I do see that you asked for one in pretence. That I may be misinforming people. No. This says more about you than me. Please RE- read posts from myself and other members to aid in understanding my stance/Opinions on the INTENTION of this post/Subject.

Secondly:

You said the following:*

(Your calculator does not represent the basic physiological functions such as breathing and blood circulation.
    BMR cannot be measured correctly with an on-line calculator)

ANSWER:

"Oh really you don't say lol?" Its an online calculator, That's a no BRAINER??? There to give basics to aid people in the right direction.. Getting a basic example of where your BMR sit's is not a problem or a dissolution to stop you from forming an idea/understanding* about your BMR - Never did I say anything other wise

Once again I'm confused about the aspect of "you providing this information" at this point.

Moving ahead...

Thirdly:

You Said:

(To answer your question. Your 5 hours is equivalent to, "about 20 Minutes of my running" @ 1273 per hour / 60 minutes X 20 minutes = 424 calories which leaves me with 11 more calories. PLUS the next 4 hours and 40 minutes of calories being burned, which is higher than your RMR because of, " EPOC, " Excess, Post-Exercise, Oxygen, Consumption: a state where the body is burning more calories following exercise than BEFORE the exercise was initiated: Following exercise, the body must utilize increased amounts of oxygen to replenish energy supplies, lower tissue temperature, and return the body to a resting state, all of which requires calories to do)

ANSWER:

"Thanks for the general basic knowledge and I am aware that your metabolic rate is raised somewhat after Exercise. What I say still stands however. :) and is very efficient" This does not negate the basis of my example in its simplest form.

You run. 424. (Raising of metabolic rate)
    I don't. 413.

This does not change the fact of asking people to view the perspective.

Moving on...

You Said the following:

(Things that can decrease RMR are: aging, gender, fasting / starvation, hypothyroidism, sleep, some medications, and genetics)

For some reason more information you feel the need to expend? lol :) I wont even start on the Fasting Subject here.

Lastly:

You finished with the following:

I'm sorry it had to end this way, I hope I entertained you but your statement is incorrect. I'm glad to here that what ever it is, its working for you, but it would never work for me and I commend you for defending it all day. Well done !

Answer:

"I'm sorry it had to end this way?"

Yes, That you failed to understand the basic and fundamental position of this post, and spend time unessarily justifying yourself. I am sorry also.

And....by the way? As you have ALOT of KNOWLEDGE to SHARE and Hope to ENTERTAIN. :)

What advice/perspective do you have for me wanting to maintain single digit body fat year round with minimal effort, without worrying too much about food, but holding muscle mass and not losing strength. While doing little to no Cardio :)

I'm Eager to learn more from you please share.
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Cardio.

I lost 22kg without counting calories, without significantly changing my diet, and without a single scale check other than the first last summer and then again ten days ago when I finally bought a scale for the house.

I've dropped four belt notches, two+ pant sizes, my resting heart rate is 50, I've got more energy, more drive, sleep better, and I'm super motivated.

I knew that I could drop weight, and improve fitness, with running. Fitness is as important to me as weight or how I look and feel in my skin.

Could i have arrived at this point faster by counting calories in as well as cardio calories out? Yes, absolutely, but early on I doubt I was ready to take on both. With success in hand, it's easy(er). :smile: 18kg to go.

That's Awesome keep it up :D
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    @mtvstaff i still don't know what your "concept" is.
  • mtvstaff
    Options

Then move on. :)

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :):p;)

Simple - both!!!

Cardio releases those exercise endorphins like clockwork which is some of the best BUZZ you can get. And it's free. And it lasts longer than a glass or two of liquid buzz. And there is no hangover. And you get to adjust your eating (take in more).

Who doesn't love to eat?

Seriously...

Adjust the calorie amount easily based on goal of gaining, losing, or maintaining. But don't take away my cardio BUZZ. B)
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    :):p;)

Simple - both!!!

Cardio releases those exercise endorphins like clockwork which is some of the best BUZZ you can get. And it's free. And it lasts longer than a glass or two of liquid buzz. And there is no hangover. And you get to adjust your eating (take in more).

Who doesn't love to eat?

Seriously...

Adjust the calorie amount easily based on goal of gaining, losing, or maintaing. But don't take away my cardio BUZZ. B)

Agree! do what works for you :)
  • shirinasadi
    shirinasadi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat when ever hungry but make right choices meaning food high in nutrient density.....BUT control portions.....for example 1/2 cup ice cream is enough for snackinstead of 1 cup.....
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Then move on. :)

Or you could try explaining it?
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Cardio...Being short, loving food and only being able to eat 1450 to maintain when sedentary is hard enough.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio whether I'm losing or gaining to maintain aerobic conditioning. I do tend to up it if I want lose weight, and then cut calories slowly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I noticed one bad assumption in here used in the math.

Your body keeps up the basic metabolism WHILE you exercise.

So you burn those 83 cal per hr plus whatever the exercise would give you on top of it. Of course, when you get calorie burn estimates from exercise, it includes that 83 in it already.

And yes - it would be a VERY slow pace to only burn 83 calories from walking on top of the basal metabolism - meaning burning 166 cal/hr.

If your basal is that high, you'll burn more walking at decent clip.

But yet - ultimately it is about the calorie deficit. But your example would imply sleep all day and eat less than that.
    Sadly your BMR will will change as muscle atrophies and you burn less, metabolic organs as main calorie burners have much less work to do and burn less, ect.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Cardio, HANDS DOWN
    - feels great
    - mood booster
    - can eat more food

only problem is repetitive stress on joints, gotta mix it up
  • swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This is so painful to read.. But I can't stop..

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6d5833414d64642e6a7067
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I understand what calculator you used, can you explain what is in the calculation of 1983 calories ?

That's what I burn sedentary based on no movement. Doing nothing this is what my body burns.

What does not eating for 3 or 5 hours have to do with anything? = Based on your BMR you could burn equivalent calories per hour instead of jogging or doing cardio. :D

Things that can increase RMR are: higher total body weight, gender, ambient temperature, caffeine, smoking, increased lean body mass, pregnancy, hyperthyroidism, some medications, genetics.

Things that can decrease RMR are: aging, gender, fasting / starvation, hypothyroidism, sleep, some medications, and genetics.

Which brings me to my problem with your statement, " Based on your BMR you could burn equivalent calories per hour instead of jogging or doing cardio. :D " An average 80 KG (175 lb) person burns approximately 95 calories per hour sleeping or doing absolutely nothing. The same person burns 1273 calories per hour running @ 10 miles per hour.

Lets use your Quote:

My BMR being Sedentary is 1983 Calories per day. So if you divide that by 24 hours (1 Day) 1983 divided by 24 = 82.625 Calories per hour being burnt over a 24hour period (And use I know we sleep and metab etc but keeping things simple) So lets say if I don't eat 3 hours i would burn 3x 82.625 = 247.875 Calories. Or say I don't eat for 5 hours thats 413 Calories! Now how long would i have to walk or jog on the treadmill to gain the same calorie loss?

To answer your question. Your 5 hours is equivalent to, "about 20 Minutes of my running" @ 1273 per hour / 60 minutes X 20 minutes = 424 calories which leaves me with 11 more calories. PLUS the next 4 hours and 40 minutes of calories being burned, which is higher than your RMR because of, " EPOC, " Excess, Post-Exercise, Oxygen, Consumption: a state where the body is burning more calories following exercise than BEFORE the exercise was initiated: Following exercise, the body must utilize increased amounts of oxygen to replenish energy supplies, lower tissue temperature, and return the body to a resting state, all of which requires calories to do.

No no no! You are doing it all wrong. You have math in there! And science. This is awful, you are just asking for a reply with lots of sarcasm and smilies. And you are really cruel. You are not only telling people to spend an entire 30 minutes doing awful things for their health and goals like running, but you are also asking them to hurt their brains to understand basic math and reply?
  • gabylewis22
    gabylewis22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Put it this way. Which is longer, a minute in the microwave, or a minute on the treadmill. To me, I can wait for food if I have to. But every single time I do cardio I'm counting down the seconds until I can stop....
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Do "cardio" to strengthen your heart and lungs. IMO, it's a lousy idea to exercise so that you "can eat more."
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do "cardio" to strengthen your heart and lungs. IMO, it's a lousy idea to exercise so that you "can eat more."

This is why I exercise :wink: I'm miserable on the calories mfp gives me to lose weight!!

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't prefer either... But if I have to choose, give me x amount of cardio workouts... Or give me a pro bono personal chef who will provide me the necessary meals to lose/maintain weight.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    the endorphin rush from good cardio is great, it doesnt happen all the time for me, but when it does then its a joyful thing.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

you got already a high metabolism for that kind of formula. Personally i add some more minutes of cardio to reply the main question.