Giving up

since I was 12yrs I was overweight.i have try all the diets and attended slimming group with out sucess. Now I am unwell wighting 16st 7lbs. I feels so depressed. and at times I question my existence. Please help?????

Replies

• tracer1808
    tracer1808 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2015
    Depression is one of the main reasons to gain weight. Most people get in the magic circle with it (they eat when they are depressed, and then - they are depressed because they eat). But probably the main reason for you not to lose weight is that you did not make hard decision to really do it!

In the begging I also attended all sorts of motivation seminars, doctors, using dozens of different diets, pills etc.. But then I realized - all I was really doing was trying to ease my conscience when I eat the next day...

Make the decision! That is really the hardest part. After that, losing weight will be just a technical problem for which there are so many solutions.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    tracer1808 wrote: »
    Depression is one of the main reasons to gain weight. Most people get in the magic circle with it (they eat when they are depressed, and then - they are depressed because they eat). But probably the main reason for you not to lose weight is that you did not make hard decision to really do it!

In the begging I also attended all sorts of motivation seminars, doctors, using dozens of different diets, pills etc.. But then I realized - all I was really doing was trying to ease my conscience when I eat the next day...

Make the decision! That is really the hardest part. After that, losing weight will be just a technical problem for which there are so many solutions.

^ this. There is no easy way to do it, otherwise nobody would be fat. It's supposed to suck and it's going to be hard and difficult. But... Worth it. Every single drop of sweat and every time you make a healthy choice, you're doing it for you. No one is going to do it for you. Why give up? What is giving up doing for you? Never stop trying and in the end you'll succeed.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    I have given up many times. I started working out, lost a good amount of weight, gave up for a year, now I regret giving up because by now, I woulda been done had I continued.

Keep persistent!
  • sweetandsassyred
    sweetandsassyred Posts: 1,607 Member
    Giving up will just keep you depressed. The best thing to do is stick with and make progress giving up makes matters worse. You can do this and so many people with help but you have to remember you're so much more than your size or image you are a person that I am sure is loved for who you are. So get what ever help you need but don't give up that just makes the problem bigger. Stick with it and take one pound at a time you can do this and if you want an extra friend you can add me.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited April 2015
    First thing, you must have objective in mind. Think in long term. Then make decision to lose weight. And follow it. People tend to work toward clear objective easily. But if they just try to lose weight just because someone is telling them, that not gonna work. Having objecitves make us strong willed. Buy yourself a kitchen scale and start weigh-in your food. Log into myfitness pal - profit! At first i was getting hungry - but i kept eating slowly - then i am not that hungry anymore all the time. Your mind and body got too used to overeating. Change that step by step.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    All of the above. Also what tracer1808 said is really true. I did pretty much the same thing then I decided to really commit to not only losing weight, but a healthier lifestyle too. That made the big difference - I started to see watching what I ate and taking regular exercise as part of a new life I had chosen for myself.

If you’re depressed it’s difficult to see a positive, get some help with that - I did and it was one of the first steps i took to feeling good about myself then after that I slowly started to turn it around. You can do it but you will hit snags - we all do - but just get up and keep going you WILL get there in the end.
  • laurellawson462
    laurellawson462 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you
  • NJbabe
    NJbabe Posts: 113 Member
    231 lbs. - that's it? There are people on this website who weigh twice as much... and drop down to a healthy weight. It sounds like you need to find motivations. ;) Make a list of all the reasons why you should lose the weight. Find some inspiration. Set some mini goals and rewards for reaching them.

Then make a plan about your eating habits and stick to it.

And start exercising if you could.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Why do you wnat to give up> Do you really want to lose weight, do you wnat it enough just to moderate your food by eating a little less? If you cna do that, then you will lose weight. Ill agree with what njbabe said. just make a plan and follow it, its not hard, just requires you to put some work in, but the results are worth it.

Being depressed is a bit dull and rubbish, its much better to do something about it and change.
    Exercise is great for depression. You can 100% do it if you wnat it enough. Treat it as a challenge but dont make it more duanting than it is. One day at a time.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Being overweight is hard.
    Losing weight is hard.
    Choose your hard.
  • happyhenglers
    happyhenglers Posts: 17 Member
    Love it, peter56765! What a great mantra to keep front of mind when faced with each challenge.
  • LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Being overweight is hard.
    Losing weight is hard.
    Choose your hard.

Wow, love this ^^^^^

• tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    since I was 12yrs I was overweight.i have try all the diets and attended slimming group with out sucess. Now I am unwell wighting 16st 7lbs. I feels so depressed. and at times I question my existence. Please help?????

If you feel really bad, talk to your doctor. There's so much that they can do. As a kid I was teased and beaten up for being gay even though I wasn't gay. (I was a polite kid in a very rough school.) I felt that there was no one I could talk to. I'm sure you got the same for being fat or God forbid for being black. Remember that it was their problem that they bullied you, not yours. And it is ok to feel bad about not having a good childhood. I used to feel bad and nothing was worse than people who didn't understand saying "snap out of it" or "school was a long time ago, get over it". But remember that your future is in front of you and it's yours to control. Ask your doc for help, but the feeling you will get if you aim for just two lbs and achieve it will make you feel great.

Aim to lose 2 pounds, just 2. Set the scales right tonight and strip off and take today as your start point. Throw the junk out of the fridge. I'm talking chocolate, cake, crisps, ....throw that *kitten* out. Set yourself a task of making a homemade pizza. Buy the base and buy some passata sauce, mushrooms and whatever you faancy, even some small amounts of bacon. Also there's nothing on TV tonight, so go out for a 10-15 minute walk around your block. You don't have to beat Usain Bolt, just get out there, with a rain jacket if necessary. Don't aim for a 2 hr walk as it will rain, your IPhone will lose battery, you will twitch your ankle....just do 15 mins. Set yourself the aim of losing 2 punds next week. You can do it.