How much $ is your gym?

Options

Replies

• myturn15
    myturn15 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    I pay $70/mo, but I spend so much time there it is worth it. Lots of amenities like two lap pools, outdoor pools, rock climbing walls, basketball courts, track, a cafe etc. plus they have 6 Oly racks an absolute ton of other lifting equipment, which means I spend less time waiting for people to finish their workouts. You get what you pay for usually.

This is very similar to the more expensive option for me.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I've said this before on threads discussing gym prices, but have never received a response or feedback, but I'll throw it out there again:
    Check with your health insurance for gym membership deals and discounts! Via a plan through my health insurance I pay $25.00 per month and I can go to ANY gym I want. Not just in my city. Nationwide. Super cheap and handy. Yes, you have to sign up at each gym, but that's a small price to pay, IMHO. (yes, I'm sure there are a few gyms that don't participate in this plan, but whatever; I don't travel much)

Also, check with your employer. Here in Virginia, state employees can get discounts on health club memberships.

I don't need a discount because I use the local rec center which is free, free, free. (Read: paid for by my town taxes.) It's not the most swanky place, but I really like it and they have everything I need. (Except air dryers in the locker room. I've requested those.)

ETA: I do wish I had access to a sauna/steam room.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I was paying $24.99 a month for my Anytime Fitness membership. I recently cancelled it though because I started working out at home and it's getting nicer out so I'll be able to go outside for runs and bike rides. $77 a month seems like a ridiculous price, I would never pay that, even if I could afford it!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've said this before on threads discussing gym prices, but have never received a response or feedback, but I'll throw it out there again:
    Check with your health insurance for gym membership deals and discounts! Via a plan through my health insurance I pay $25.00 per month and I can go to ANY gym I want. Not just in my city. Nationwide. Super cheap and handy. Yes, you have to sign up at each gym, but that's a small price to pay, IMHO. (yes, I'm sure there are a few gyms that don't participate in this plan, but whatever; I don't travel much)

We have Blue Cross and also have the $25/month gym access though it is only with participating gyms. Has a pretty comprehensive list with many locations.

I prefer working out at home though as I keep an ever changing work schedule and prefer lifting with bare feet.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    $30/month for the gym + $30/kid/month for childcare Monday-Saturday at GoodLife (2 kids now +1 more in summer once school is out). I can use any of their locations but would have to drive a bit to get to one with childcare. It was hard to find a gym here that had childcare. I would have liked the Y but could only get childcare there at $5/kid/time.

When I lived in the US, I went to the Y and we had a family membership for $60 and free childcare.
  • oneunfitdad
    oneunfitdad Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    i work out at home saves a lot of money hehe
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    $230 a year at Power house and $80 a year at Berea Rec so $310 a year total
  • tropic80girl
    tropic80girl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I pay 80/yr at my local rec center and get reimbursed by my work 25/mth so I actually profit. I used to use my local YMCA and for family I was charged 30/mth.
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    $20/mo at a local chain. It gives me 24/7 access, to any of their locations.

Really, I am rarely there outside their open hours, and I never go to any location but the one closest to home, but I have the option. The hours are more important to me, as there are times I go on Sunday evenings or other off hours.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I pay $28.50 bi-weekly and metabolic classes are lead by a kinesiologist and cap out at 14 people per class so you can be properly instructed.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    £30 / $45 - lovely gym, squash courts, gym classes etc.
    About average for a UK gym.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    We pay $136/month for me, husband and child for Lifetime Fitness. It's expensive, but it's convenient, nice, clean, has free towels, sauna, steam room, two pools, etc. and it's 24 hr, so I can get there at 5 am. Plus I love the training staff. You don't want to know what I pay for a trainer

I take it as an investment in my health and that's money saved down the road at the dr office. Also I know myself, and I am more likely to show up if i like the place.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    $10/month plus $10/month for unlimited childcare.
  • mitri23
    mitri23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cardinal Fitness is $10/month and a $39 annual fee. Basic gym with all the equipment you need and less than 10 minutes from the house. The commute should be a factor to consider because the farther it the less likely you are to go in my opinion.
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I pay about $70 a month, including sales tax. That's a little high for this area, but it's worth it. And here's why:
    • The club is eight miles from my work and eight miles from my home. I commute by bike a few days a week, and I can ride my bike to the club. Yeah, you get uber-bonus points for riding a bicycle to a club. More importantly, it's an insignificant detour on my driving commute. I can swim before work or after work without having to go too far out of my way.
    • Two pools. The one I primarily use is kept cooler (about 70°F) and is generally only used by adults. There are lap lanes available 85% of the time when the club is open; during the summer, the swim team doesn't practice so there are almost always laps lanes available. I'm a triathlete who struggles with the swim leg, so time spent in the pool is critical. And swimming has slimmed my torso and toned my shoulders in a way I never thought possible.
    • The club is across the street from the court I appear in every Thursday, and I may have to appear there any day of my workweek, right after lunch. I'm able to get a long swim workout on Thursday mornings, and on days when I have to appear at 1:30, I get in brief swim at lunch.
    • The employees are polite, courteous, and professional. Even the people who come through the locker rooms every hour or so to mop & check the locker room for cleanliness greet me. I've received helpful advice and encouragement from these folks.
    • The club is locally-owned, and they treat their employees well. The club is closed on major holidays, and frequently closes early & opens late the days to either side of a holiday. It means there's one less day for me to workout, but I love that they respect their employees.
    • I've never seen a piece of broken equipment in the fitness center & weight rooms.
    • I've never seen a patron make fun of a morbidly obese person working out.
    • Lots of encouragement, no judgment.

What makes a club worth its price depends upon the person paying that price. You're the one who has to decide whether it's worth it to you.
  • autodominio
    autodominio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to pay $40 a month for anytime fitness but my insurance credited me $20 a month if I went at least 3 times a week. Check with your health insurance to see if they have such programs.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

We have Blue Cross and also have the $25/month gym access though it is only with participating gyms. Has a pretty comprehensive list with many locations.

I prefer working out at home though as I keep an ever changing work schedule and prefer lifting with bare feet.

Yep, that's what I have. And I generally lift at home (we have a separate weight room) because I lift with no shoes, too! However, for me, the gym is my haven. I go every day after work to do some cardio, maybe weight machines, maybe the sauna or read a book by the pool, depending on the season. That's why I like to have a variety of gyms to go to.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    $96 or so per month at Lifetime Fitness. It is open 24 hours a day and has a lot of amenities. My masters swim team is there and costs an extra $34 per month for 2x/wk training (great value). I would get rid of a lot of other things before I got rid of my gym membership. lol
  • aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    $70 per month for 3 people.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    OP...I think the overall whole point is not to spend too much on a gym membership. Try to find something affordable and doable around your area. If all you need is a basic workout then go to a regular, less-expensive gym. Or like people said...if you got enough room, you can make your own gym at home.