• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Jif girl here...love it! :blush:
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A good compromise between the runny & boring "pure" peanut butters which are just peanuts and the overly-processed store bought PBs would be a "natural" PB from Skippy or JIF. We love the Skippy natural PB which has peanuts, salt, palm oil, and sugar. So its NOT "purely natural" per se but it does NOT have any hydrogenated oils, too much sugar or whatever else. The sugar count for a serving is just 3 grams which is "peanuts" as far as sugar goes. :smiley:

Peanut butter is a fairly healthy food overall so DO enjoy it when you want it. I dont bother with portions since that just ruins the fun. 2-3 heaping globs on a teaspoon is my "serving" and I aint sweating nuttin about it. Just work it inot your macros & diet.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As opposed to what? Homemade peanut butter? Who does that? Of course store-bought peanut butter is fine to eat, as is pretty much everything else they sell at the grocery store. If it fits into your calorie/macro goals, it's fair game.

I eat peanut butter almost every day. It's delicious, contains healthy fats, and...is delicious - what other reason do you need?

I switch between JIF Natural Peanut Butter and Peanut Butter Co.'s flavored peanut butters (white chocolate wonderful and dark chocolate dreams are my favorites). I put PB on toast, bananas, Quest bars, in oatmeal, or right off the spoon.

BUT, what is a "spoonful" of peanut butter? A serving is 32-33 g (depending on the brand). If you're just eyeballing it or even using measuring spoons, you're likely overestimating what a serving really is. Invest in a food scale so you know what you're eating.

PB2 is fine if you like it and can't fit real peanut butter into your calories, but I really just use it when I want peanut butter flavoring in oatmeal, a protein shake, or mixed in with pancake syrup. I'm all for saving calories, but PB2 just isn't as good as the real thing.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    BUT, what is a "spoonful" of peanut butter? A serving is 32-33 g (depending on the brand). If you're just eyeballing it or even using measuring spoons, you're likely overestimating what a serving really is. Invest in a food scale so you know what you're eating.

so much this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Love my peanut butter. I manage to get it in most days.
    • All the vitamins are in the fat. Two tablespoons contains your daily allowance, 14% Vitamin E, 21% Niacin, and 9% of B6.
    • Even though fat free PB2 is tempting because of the lower calorie count, it also has all the vitamins removed. (12 g of PB2 is 45 calories, compared to 188 calories for two tablespoons of full fat peanut butter. )
    • Most store bought peanut butter is hydrogenated, which is handy as the oil won't float to the top.
    • Non-hydrogenated (most "natural" peanut butters) needs to be stirred before use and be stored in the refrigerator.
    • Because of the big calorie hit (which is also highly satiating by the way), measure carefully.
    • I hate the fat-reduced commercial peanut butters as they compensated by adding sugar. Yuck.
    • I see Kraft has just come out with a "no salt added", "no sugar added" peanut butter, hydrogenated. I had my first taste this morning and it's pretty good!
  • sharlaaisha
    sharlaaisha Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    After underestimating my PB intake I now only use a TB measuring spoo to keep me accurate. It's a pain but worth it to my end game.
    I read some great advice here in the forums a couple days ago.

Weigh the jar before you take out your peanut butter and then weigh it afterward. That will tell you how many grams of peanut butter you removed. That way, you can just get it out of the jar with a knife and still know exactly how much you got.

Fantastic tip, thank you.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Meijer's grocery store sells their own natural peanut butter, although I don't know if the grocery chain is nationwide. Ingredients? Just peanuts! I love their crunchy. Yes, you do have to stir it to incorporate the oil that is on top, but once stirred, it stays stirred. AND, as a little bonus, before I stir mine, I pour off a little of the oil. Once stirred, it separates a little but still tastes delicious! 2 TBLS = 200 cal (without pouring off some of the oil).

But I also use PB2 for my smoothies and in oatmeal, etc. Tastes the same to me and 85% less fat and lower in calories.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am a peanut butter nut (no pun intended) life long love affair with it. The brand that fits best in this scheme of things, for me anyway is Peter Pan Whipped Creamy. It's got 2/3 less sugar than regular. It has fewer grams of fat than regular, no cholesterol, low in sodium. That and some reduced sugar grape jelly (tried sugar free jelly, that is just nasty!) still makes a pretty good PBJ sandwich. As with everything else you should try to stick to serving sizes.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    vigs98 wrote: »
    There is a powder peanut butter 2 TBS to 1TBS of water. They sell it walmart.... OMG just like real peanut butter[/center]
    Is it really just like real peanut butter?
    chatnel wrote: »
    I do this for most things, put the jar on the scales and scoop out weight required.

It is absolutely NOT just like real peanut butter. If you love peanut butter, it's a sad waste of calories.

Wholeheartedly agree with everyone on weighing the peanut butter. If you absolutely cannot weigh, then a leveled measuring spoon is next best. I've learned that I can pretty easily fit 3+ tablespoons of peanut butter on one of my regular "teaspoons". I like peanut butter.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Well, I hear the sugars in store bought peanut butters are more sugary than the sugars in fresh crushed peanut butters.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All food is okay.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories for the day, yes! And make sure you weigh it, dense high calorie foods like this can easily rack up if not measured properly. Enjoy, I love peanut butter
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    There is a powder peanut butter 2 TBS to 1TBS of water. They sell it walmart.... OMG just like real peanut butter[/center]

What is the benefit to buying powdered peanut butter?
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    After underestimating my PB intake I now only use a TB measuring spoo to keep me accurate. It's a pain but worth it to my end game.

Um, if you are measuring your peanut butter with a tablespoon I can pretty much guarantee you are eating much more than a tablespoon. Weigh it.
  • MrsMeans2015
    MrsMeans2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make my own in my vitamix, it takes 2 minutes, I don't add any oils and it looks nothing like the "natural" PB at the store with an inch of oil at the top. It has no separation and is great on apples (or anything else).
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

The powdering process removes most/all of the fat, leaving all of the protein and fiber.
  • kmsoucy457
    edited April 2015
    Options
    CM9178 wrote: »

Um, if you are measuring your peanut butter with a tablespoon I can pretty much guarantee you are eating much more than a tablespoon. Weigh it.

a tablespoon measuring spoon is not a silverware tablespoon. As long as it's a level measuring spoon's worth they're fine!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »

The powdering process removes most/all of the fat, leaving all of the protein and fiber.

Why would you want to remove lovely tasty healthy dietary fats?
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »

Why would you want to remove lovely tasty healthy dietary fats?

Oh I sure wouldn't! Just answering the nice lady's question. I do hear great things, both on this thread and through friends, about flavoring smoothies etc with it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Man, I love PB2. Not understanding why so many ppl dislike it? meh whatever, more for me. XD