Thinking about Alli.. Any success stories out there?

jhs4bama79
jhs4bama79 Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been thinking about purchasing Alli since they've put it back on the market again. Any success stories out there? I've lost approx 36 lbs since the 5th of January, but feel like I'm plateauing...

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Stay far away from that stuff. I doubt you'll find any support for it or any other similar products on this forum.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    You've lost 36 pounds in 16 weeks, that is 2.25 pounds per week. That is a pretty decent rate of loss!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    WebMD.com has some success stories, but also horror stories in the drug review. webmd.com/drugs/drugreview-148551-Alli+oral.aspx?drugid=148551&drugname=Alli+oral
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    You've lost 36 pounds in 16 weeks, that is 2.25 pounds per week. That is a pretty decent rate of loss!

Whoa, I answered before the edit. OP - you absolutely do NOT need to be considering diet pills!! You're doing ridiculously well. Have some patience, you didn't gain the weight in a couple months, it's not going to disappear in a couple. You need to have some patience and be realistic.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    I forget who posted this web page on the forums not too long ago, and I wish I could give them credit, but I found it to be very informative as well. thewvsr.com/alli.htm
  • jhs4bama79
    I have seen some horror stories on similar blogs, and yikes!! It is scary. But the only allure for me is its the only FDA appd weight loss drug out there. But the unfortunate "side effect" is the only thing that has kept me from purchasing it. Just wanted to see if anyone had real life stories that have actually taken it to see if it is or isn't as bad as I've heard. TIA!!
  • Alatariel75
    Seriously losing over 2lbs a week since the start of the year, why the hell would you even risk that??
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    I don't understand. You've lost a great amount of weight in that time. Why on earth would you want something like this?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Wait, so none of that is news to you and you're still willing to pay $$$ for a drug that makes people shadoobie themselves even though you already know you can lose??? And what do you mean by "plateauing"? Weight loss slows down. Weight loss always slows down. And it isn't always linear.
  • jhs4bama79
    The majority of my weight was lost in the first 10-12 weeks as I figured it would, but unfortunately it's slowing down... Thus what I meant by plateauing. Seems like the last couple of weeks, the harder I try, the less it's coming off, only about 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks. :/
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Wait, so none of that is news to you and you're still willing to pay $$$ for a drug that makes people shadoobie themselves even though you already know you can lose??? And what do you mean by "plateauing"? Weight loss slows down. Weight loss always slows down. And it isn't always linear.

I'm also confused...

• Alatariel75
    edited April 2015
    That's a perfectly NORMAL and HEALTHY rate of loss. You aren't always going to lose 2lbs a week, that's just fact. It starts out fast, then slows to a moderate rate. There is nothing wrong with 2lbs in 2 weeks, in fact that's on the awesome side of losses. Forget diet pills, and try to adopt some reasonable expectations. 2lbs a week isn't worth popping yourself over.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I would kill to lose over 2lbs a week. You're doing exceptionally well @jhs4bama79 . You don't need a pants pooping pill! :smiley:
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    jhs4bama79 wrote: »
    The majority of my weight was lost in the first 10-12 weeks as I figured it would, but unfortunately it's slowing down... Thus what I meant by plateauing. Seems like the last couple of weeks, the harder I try, the less it's coming off, only about 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks. :/

You just need to have some patience. The weight will come off if you eat at a deficit. Thousands of people can vouche for that. There is no reason to risk takeing dangerous drugs to try to accelerate the process. Give it time and it will be much more rewarding when you finally get there.
  • blankiefinder
    That is still a great rate of loss.

Look at your deficits, see if you are losing at the rate you expect based on that. If not, figure out where you are going wrong with your logging. You need to learn all of this now, as your daily calorie allotment will continue to drop as you lose weight.

My thoughts are that if you need to resort to taking Alli to lose the weight then you will not be able to maintain the loss when you get there, as you won't be able to eat at that calorie level without the drugs. (In other words, if you need drugs to make stuff shoot out your butt to not absorb the calories because you can't eat at a deficit, you won't be able to eat at maintenance later).

This is the time to learn about serving sizes, good food choices and moderation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Ok sorry. Good luck :)
  • blankiefinder
    If all of us telling you that you are losing at a great rate is negative, you're in for a rough ride here. Good luck with your journey.
  • jhs4bama79
    But thanks for the positive comments, that's why I came here for to seek out positive reinforment , new at the community side of MyFitnessPal! :)