what excuses did you make for not losing weight.

Options

Replies

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    'I'm too tired to cook a healthy meal/workout'

'There's so much junk food in the house and it's just too tempting to resist' - part true at the time (we were living with my parents temporarily and my Mum bought soooooo much crap), but I should've been able to resist.

'I'll do some exercise/eat healthily tomorrow instead'

'I'm not THAT big anyway'.......until I was.
  • sarahwillams0
    sarahwillams0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight a few years ago. I went from a size 16 to a size 10/12, as my jobs changed and ive gone from having a very active job where I was on my feet all the time to now spending a lot of time sitting down ive slowly started to pile the pounds back on.
    My excuse has always been, When the jeans that are to big for me start to get tight is when ill start to do something about it. I put those very jeans on this morning, and guess what, I only just about fit in them.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I took full advantage of vanity sizing. It's ok as long as I'm wearing no bigger than a size 16 (UK). I started shopping only in the more generously sized shops - because those clothes were more flattering (i.e. my fat wasn't squeezing out of / over them) - but that was ok because I was still a size 16.

Then it was these clothes with the lycra in are more comfortable / flattering. Still ok - the label said 16. Then is was basically leggings and baggy tops only. Still ok - size 16.

The difference from my starting point to the leggings point was nearly 3 stone - but that was ok - because I wasn't any bigger!!
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Excuses I've made:

- I was in a relationship then got married, leading to more eating and eating out
    - Various sports injuries stopping me from exercising. Severe plantar fasciitis in both feet, so I could barely walk let alone exercise. 2 years at its worst, 10 years (!) to heal completely
    - Moving up north where it's snowy and bitterly cold 6 months of the year (southerner here!).... More reasons to not exercise. And you can't lose weight without exercise right? But I had a gym membership, never used it. Then I moved back south and gained more
    - Getting a desk job....so moving even less
    - Getting older. Everyone gains when they get older right?
    - Food has gotten more fattening, portion sizes are huge, more sugar....it's harder to lose weight now
    - maybe I have a tumor! That's why my belly is so big....or not. I'm just fat

Finally found MFP and figured out how to control intake. It's not all about exercise after all

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I was getting older and it was unavoidable.

This. That after forty you get frumpy and that's just the way it is. All my friends were over 40 and frumpy and I wasn't as heavy as some of them were so I was doing good.

• CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I lost 104'ish pounds and said to myself, "I got this. I don't need MFP. I don't need to look at a scale or count calories anymore." Well...... I'm baaaaaaccccccckkkkkk!!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    another one i used was ' I still look better than so and so from high school.... '

which may or may not be true but is irrelevant to the situation at hand LOLOLOL (there are plenty others who looked/look far better than i do LOL!)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My entire family was fat, so naturally I was fat (although at close to 250 when I started I was always the smallest)
  • andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'd tell myself You've just had a baby , no need to rush into losing the weight , you deserve a treat , next thing I know he's 18 months old and I'm nearly 200lb!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get on track, I can lose about a million calories in two weeks.
  • victoriam88
    victoriam88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get on track, I can lose about a million calories in two weeks.

love this ! :smiley:
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was ill for three months and fed the multiple colds very well. My clothes all strangely shrunk in the wash..
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    greco16 wrote: »
    I was ill for three months and fed the multiple colds very well. My clothes all strangely shrunk in the wash..

funny how that happens . . .
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    I know tat it is pretty lame but I tried getting away with the old I broke my back, ruptured my colon and my spleen excuse. But once I had the colostomy reversal I really didn't feel like it was a viable excuse any longer.
    Yeah I know "LAME!"

I've seriously heard this excuse at least a hundred times. So lame. Just kidding. :)

You've been through so much. I'm glad that you didn't let your adversity destroy your chance at a healthier life.

For me, I have used the excuse of "my husband lusts me now". I adore this man and he met me at 260+ pounds. He can't keep his hands off me and I have worried that he'll be less attracted to me when I get thinner. I have worried that I will lose my awesome boobs, booty or end up looking like a bag of bones due to excess skin.

The reality is I absolutely have to lose weight if I want to see my golden years. I have to get to 130 due to my heart being a little wonky, overstressed and a serious family history of Congestive Heart Failure. It's not an option to stay fat.

And, I have decided that if my skin is unacceptable or my boobs straight up disappear, I have surgical options for that. When expressing my concerns about the price, my husband says "if your wife wants bigger boobs and you can't afford them, you get a second job! " Lol
  • sweetbamaTLC
    sweetbamaTLC Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No time to exercise. I had to eat out too much because of my hectic schedule. I'd had a rough day and I deserved to enjoy a nice big meal. Events always revolved around food. All excuses.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs before my 30th birthday. I stopped eating healthy and exercising during a really tough semester of college and my husband was working out of town for a month, leaving me to struggle to take care of our 3 kids, house, etc. all on my own. Money was tight & it was easy to say "NO" to myself when I wanted new clothes, especially when the kids needed things too. So I started rewarding myself with pints of ice cream and other goodies for making it through a rough day because it was food and we NEED food.

Almost 2.5 yrs later I have gained everything back, plus 15 extra lbs.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    I know tat it is pretty lame but I tried getting away with the old I broke my back, ruptured my colon and my spleen excuse. But once I had the colostomy reversal I really didn't feel like it was a viable excuse any longer.
    Yeah I know "LAME!"

I've seriously heard this excuse at least a hundred times. So lame. Just kidding. :)

You've been through so much. I'm glad that you didn't let your adversity destroy your chance at a healthier life.

For me, I have used the excuse of "my husband lusts me now". I adore this man and he met me at 260+ pounds. He can't keep his hands off me and I have worried that he'll be less attracted to me when I get thinner. I have worried that I will lose my awesome boobs, booty or end up looking like a bag of bones due to excess skin.

The reality is I absolutely have to lose weight if I want to see my golden years. I have to get to 130 due to my heart being a little wonky, overstressed and a serious family history of Congestive Heart Failure. It's not an option to stay fat.

And, I have decided that if my skin is unacceptable or my boobs straight up disappear, I have surgical options for that. When expressing my concerns about the price, my husband says "if your wife wants bigger boobs and you can't afford them, you get a second job! " Lol

To IamTheGlue: Thank you, I had to fight, for my children. One was 10 and the other was 3, they needed there father, not to just be a live but to be more. I was determined not to just walk again but to do more and be more for both of them.

I am glad that you too are determined to get where you want to be and I wish you the best.

V/r,
    DW.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That my food cravings are worse than "normal people".

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I'm tall. I carry my weight well (I actually do, but look a hell of a lot better being 26 pounds lighter) and also, I'll start on Monday. I told myself that for almost the entire 2014 year...finally started doing something about it this last December.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Yeah I know "LAME!"

To IamTheGlue: Thank you, I had to fight, for my children. One was 10 and the other was 3, they needed there father, not to just be a live but to be more. I was determined not to just walk again but to do more and be more for both of them.

I am glad that you too are determined to get where you want to be and I wish you the best.

V/r,
    DW.

Thanks. I definitely understand the motivation to be there for your children. :)