Replies

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    it is the weight i was before i got pregnant the last time. it's "me"
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I went online and googled it. According to a couple different sources (can't remember which ones), at 5'6" and with a small frame (again, I googled how to figure out my frame size), I should be between 120-133. I'm going for around 135 but it'll all depend on how I feel. I might be perfectly happy with how I feel/look at 140 or more or less so I'll see how it goes :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight because it seemed like a good weight the last time I was that weight. It is near the top end of Normal BMI but it also happens to be in the middle of Normal when using Nick Trefethen's "New BMI" calculation.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight, I got to around 168 and plateaued. I was a hair's breadth from being a size 6. So this time around, I chose 157 - where I'll hopefully be a size 6, and have figured out what was stopping me before. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight because it seemed like a good weight the last time I was that weight. It is near the top end of Normal BMI but it also happens to be in the middle of Normal when using Nick Trefethen's "New BMI" calculation.
    I'm a big fan.

"Normal" BMI = 24.80
    "New" BMI = 22.47

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be 10 stone because it's a nice round number. When I get there I suspect I will want to go lower. I'll be happy when I have a low enough bfp to see some abs!
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    From high school through my mid 30s I was relatively skinny and within a range of 155-160lbs. Then I slowly gained weight over the past 5 or so years with an acceleration the past couple and I was at 180lbs. That round number, and the fact that I had gained a shirt size and 3 inches at my waist triggered me to lose 15lbs or so. But once I hit that target (after about 5 months), I realized that I may as well keep going b/c I really don't find this too difficult as I've figured out how/what/when to eat so that I feel healthy and satisfied. So I reset my target as 159, because it's a weight I probably haven't been since my wedding.
  • kailadriel
    kailadriel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I picked the original goal based on the high end of "normal" BMI. Now, as I am about halfway to that goal, I'm looking at my (estimated) body fat% and basing it off that. Goal stayed pretty much the same (155-160 lbs at 5'6.5), but I'm feeling much more confident in my decision!
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I didn't pick a weight. I was chubby/overweight my whole adult life so I had no idea how I would look at a particular goal weight. Plus I wanted muscles and keep curves and I quickly learned how that can play tricks on the scale.

I would be doing great with my eating and exercising, clothes would be getting looser and I lost inches but the scale would stay the same. Grrrrrr. So frustrating!

I chose to go by a "dream" measurement range and a dress size and see how I looked/felt. I ended up liked the way I looked at one dress size above my goal size so I stuck with it and moved to maintenance.

Worked well for my goals because the scale drove me loco. LOL!

This is my method as well! I can't really tell what an ideal weight would be because I don't know what that would look like on my body. I'm just hoping as I lose, I'll get an idea of what would be best! I honestly don't care about a number on the scale so much as I do what my body measurements are/size clothes I am.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I choose multiple stages for my goals.

My ultimate goal is 175# because that is 10# over my teen weight when I was very active in sports.

However my first goal is to lose 60# by my sixtieth birthday. Two pounds and two weeks to go.

I plan to maintain over the summer and then reevaluate the additional 23# weight loss.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mine was BMI based. I didn't really have a specific weight in mind but MFP wanted me to put something so I chose a weight near, but not at, the highest healthy BMI for my height.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Less 'what' and more 'who': My doctor.

I know there's a rage of bmi numbers that can be healthy, and bmi isn't really all that amazing an indicator of health according to some, but the doctor measured my height and plopped down a goal number a touch over the middle of the healthy bmi range for my height and said 'go there'.

It didn't seem unreasonable for me since I have a medium frame. I'm going to get close to that and see how I look/feel/bodyfat % and then fine tune if needed. I have a WHILE before I get to that point though....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan.

"Normal" BMI = 24.80
    "New" BMI = 22.47

I'd never heard of this "new BMI" so I googled it. My new BMI was higher. :/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is visually based rather than numeric. I'm another one who started with a bmi based goal to get into a good range. Now I'm just focused on continuing to lose fat in the slow-to-go area. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get there this year. I'm 5'6" and 147 right now. I've seen a big improvement in my stomach this year after a tiny bulk and going back to cutting (just put a picture of the 3 lb difference in my profile) so I think I can get there around 140.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan.

"Normal" BMI = 24.80
    "New" BMI = 22.47

I'd never heard of this "new BMI" so I googled it. My new BMI was higher. :/
    It bumps down for taller people, and up for shorter people, while those in the middle are relatively unchanged.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", I was around 140 before I got pregnant and felt pretty good there.

But my goal weight for now is 149 - that's the highest weight in the normal BMI range. I started at 232 pounds, so my main goal has always been to be "normal" :) . I'm 5.8 pounds away, and I'm pretty sure I'll keep going a bit longer and base my new goal on how I look/feel, rather than the scale.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    UFC Fighters, that guy looks like that at that weight, I'm in!
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Apparently it's the "healthy" weight for someone my size. Honestly if I could get to within 5 pounds of my goal weight I think I could be happy/healthy.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I was there before as an adult and it was where I was happy. 150, 5'11, 36 years old. Little less than a 21 BMI. And after an 18 lbs loss I'm a bit south of that at 148.4. Maintenance range of 147-153.