Is this Protein World ad body shaming?

Options

Replies

• fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps the real problem with protein world is that they claim to sell 'health' and being fit. Are meal replacements and 'fat melters' really the correct way to go about this? I don't find the advert sexist because they also have one with a man as the 'aspirational' figure with an equally airbrushed physique, but I find it concerning that this company is preying on the insecurities of others whilst selling muck (I actually have tried their protein powder, thought it was disgusting).
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Of course, protein shakes and the like aren't "the" right way to get fit. As we all know, it's a combination of diet and exercise. The protein shakes are simply one of the various tools that one can use.

They don't claim that their products alone would be sufficient, or even absolutely necessary, so I don't have a problem with that.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't have a problem with the advert in that respect - and realistically if you are trying to sell a weight loss aid, you will use a slim model to advertise it; all companies do this! I think it is better than some of the photoshopped images you get of thin individuals in jeans 10 sizes too big for them to be like 'look how much weight I have lost!'. I think they are a small fry in larger issue - as a woman, I am sick of being told through advertising that I should look a specific way to be considered attractive, and I expect alot of men feel the same way (seriously, the in the protein world advert is more kill-king-kong-with-my-bare-hands ready than beach ready). It is a shame that protein world couldn't have engaed with concerns - could have created an interesting discussion between advertiser, customer, and non-customers.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If the dumbasses protesting the "body shaming" would put half as much thought into what they cram into their body they wouldn't have to bother looking for new ways to be creatively thin-skinned.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This honestly looks no different to me than any other ad selling any fitness or weight loss product, whether that product is aimed at men or women. Regardless of what many people seem to believe, the mere fact that a thin woman has the effrontery to exist and be visible is not "body shaming."
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I do not have a problem with the add itself. I have a problem with what Katie said and that the company was happy she agreed with them, which to me says that they agree with what she said. I do not think people should me messing up the advertisement, but insulting the people who signed the petition is not making me look favorably on the company.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The guerilla response is more interesting than the original generic and boring ad. Not sure who their target market is either--she doesn't appear to be a fitness model--it is a "protein" product right? Well they got their name out there--let us know how this story ends.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at all.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    People are complaining about the model instead of the money-stealing useless supplements she's being used to sell?

Never change, humanity....
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's body shaming at all ... it's a picture of a healthy looking model!! She doesn't have bones jutting out nor does she have excess fat hanging out!! What's the difference between this and say Calvin Klein underwear ads?! Are they saying that to wear their underwear you have to have the body of Kendall Jenner or Justin Beiber?! NO! People need to get a grip complaining about a poster, it's pathetic! And the worst part is, most of the people complaining are probably unhealthy and unfit!! It all boils down to jealousy and bitterness with something like this. She looks amazing in a bikini, those moaning probably don't. End of!
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is body shaming, but it doesn't really inspire me, either. I am short and broadly built and I've had two kids and I work a very demanding job - I can get into better shape, but I will never look like that (nor do I really aspire to). And it looks to me like she has had breast implants, in addition to the Photoshopping, but that is neither here nor there, really.

At my age (41), I don't really give a damn about whether or not anyone is checking me out at the beach. As long as I like myself, feel healthy, and my husband finds me attractive, I am good.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    It's interesting how nobody here on the Fitness and Exercise board considers this ad to be bodyshaming.

I think that's significant. People who are insecure or who don't do much to take care of themselves will be more likely to express outrage. I suspect that people who focus heavily on weight loss as opposed to fitness (yes, there's a fine distinction) will also be more likely to take offense, though to a lesser degree.

In contrast, people who value physical fitness will tend to view these ads as aspirational, representing a goal that they are willing to work hard toward. They are therefore less likely to read superfluous, nonsensical messages into the ad, e.g. "Unless you look like this, you don't belong on the beach."
  • spartan_d
    Options
    I do not have a problem with the add itself. I have a problem with what Katie said and that the company was happy she agreed with them, which to me says that they agree with what she said.

Actually, they said that they welcome the support, but that they don't endorse what she said.
    I do not think people should me messing up the advertisement, but insulting the people who signed the petition is not making me look favorably on the company.
    I wholeheartedly agree that some of their tweeted responses were needlessly insulting. Given the ridiculous objections that their critics raised though, I can't fault them too much for responding in a less than diplomatic fashion. I'm not trying to justify their wording; I'm just saying that I understand why they responded with a bit of snark.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    MarilynTC wrote: »
    I don't think it is body shaming, but it doesn't really inspire me, either. I am short and broadly built and I've had two kids and I work a very demanding job - I can get into better shape, but I will never look like that (nor do I really aspire to). And it looks to me like she has had breast implants, in addition to the Photoshopping, but that is neither here nor there, really.

At my age (41), I don't really give a damn about whether or not anyone is checking me out at the beach. As long as I like myself, feel healthy, and my husband finds me attractive, I am good.

I like this perspective.

I've never felt shamed or "less than" due to advertisements or the media in general. I might see a woman and think she has great legs or arms and wonder what exercise she does or how long she's been doing it, but it doesn't make me feel bad about myself. And it wouldn't even if it there was a caption stating "you are a cow compared to this woman" under her picture. I just try to be the best me I can be and don't worry about how others look.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think one of the things that annoys people about it is it's everywhere...I feel I can't escape it. It's at every exit at the tube stations I use the most. It's in the trains. It stares at me when I go about my day, when I go to the gym, or spinning class, or to dinner. To say it's jealousy/bitterness/PC-gone-wild ignores that there's tremendous pressure on women to look physically perfect with very little leeway. Sure, I'm an adult woman and I can almost ignore it, but I can't say that images like these don't influence what people expect of an average woman. Just like we all have access to the internet and aren't at the mercy of Murdoch corp. but I can't say that traditional news media doesn't influence our perspective on the world.

Saying 'are you beach body ready' also suggests that there's a point at which your body is not ready. That your body isn't beach okay. Sure it's not explicitly stated that you have to look like her. But come on.

I think many of us have already bought into the beauty myth -- and the health myth. That healthy women look a certain way and that way conforms to what we think of as physically attractive. Me included -- hey, that's why I'm here. I hate seeing that poster every time I take the train but some part of me thinks: surely, this is why I go spinning 5x a week and run and yoga...and...and...

To fall into the narrow space where my body is considered visually acceptable. I hate and resent that fitness and food aren't solely about health and what your body can do, but also about attractiveness. I hate feeling like I have to be beautiful, that to go to the beach my body has to be 'ready'. Not ready to enjoy the beach, but ready to be viewed.

Honestly sometimes I think the line between what is acceptable and what is disordered is beginning to blur a bit. Is avoiding carbs for the rest of your life okay? What about constantly double-booking spinning classes? What about doing yoga, barre and hardcore cardio classes 5x a week? At what point can we say that we're expecting too much, that there is an unreasonable pressure on adult women to, yes, be 'beach body ready', or is it always verboten, under the guise of good health and the obesity epidemic.

Again, to be honest, I doubt that this ad is gonna appeal to anyone who's actually, truly obese and inspire them to be all healthy and *kitten*. Part of the reason I find the ad just about palatable is I'm about 10 lbs and a few deadlifts away from being almost 'beach body ready' -- though not quite at photoshop level. But. I mean. This is an ad for whey protein and nutritional supplements, not a 'healthy lifestyle'.

That said, there's lots of other, women's rights related protests happening in London soon that I'd like to see more people show up to than this.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    nekoface wrote: »
    Saying 'are you beach body ready' also suggests that there's a point at which your body is not ready. That your body isn't beach okay. Sure it's not explicitly stated that you have to look like her. But come on.
    I don't agree with that. The ad didn't ask, "Is your body beach-ready?" Rather, it asked, "Are YOU beach ready?" (Emphasis added.)

I think this distinction is critical. The ad doesn't say that everyone must be slender if they want to hit the beach. Rather, it's an implicit acknowledgement that a lot of us would prefer to look fit before wearing swimwear in public -- or at least, better than we currently are. If they're not quite ready to don a bathing suit, then this vendor is offering a means toward an end.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @spartan_d: I don't agree with your interpretation of it. To me are you beach ready, with the helpful image of the model definitely suggests that there's a certain type of body that is beach ready. You're right that we already implicitly acknowledge and accept what that type of body is. There should be no reason why any of us should be uneasy about going to the beach and that suggests an issue we already have about what type of body is acceptable.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    @nekoface said, "can't escape it" --Yeah that would be annoying--seeing a non-fitness model in an ad for a protein product over and over and...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I can see everyone's point of view. Here's mine. When I saw that poster I felt the usual emotions. Jealousy, wistfulness, interest, excitement about summer. But this is how it works with me, as I'm a perfectionist, it has got me even more motivated to lose the 3/4 comfort eating pounds I've gained by being weak and lazy the last two or three months. Does that sound hard? I had my heart broken and I started analysis again. It's friggin hard. But I know I can look as good as that if I try. I have spent the last 3 years of my life on beaches, in a bikini, feeling proud and excited about my body. I'm 44. My body is amazing because I'm tough on myself and I have no time for self pity.
    Interested to hear your replies!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    nekoface wrote: »
    Honestly sometimes I think the line between what is acceptable and what is disordered is beginning to blur a bit. Is avoiding carbs for the rest of your life okay? What about constantly double-booking spinning classes? What about doing yoga, barre and hardcore cardio classes 5x a week? At what point can we say that we're expecting too much, that there is an unreasonable pressure on adult women to, yes, be 'beach body ready', or is it always verboten, under the guise of good health and the obesity epidemic.
    No one has to avoid carbs, cutting out a macronutrient does not sound like a healthy idea...
    Exercising 5 times a week doesn't sound like expecting too much in my book. I'm sure most of us did it in high school and it didn't seem like too much back then. Why is it any different now? Sure it's a bit harder to carve out the time with increased responsibilities of being an adult but if you prioritize then it's very doable.