I want to run but it hurts...

Options
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. A few weeks ago when I was on a fitness binge (unfortunately it's fizzled away now...) I was running, and I felt really good! But I had to stop because it was hurting my feet and my knees too much! I was making sure that I stretched before and after but still, the pain in my knees and feet was unbearable. I'm very flat footed- i wonder if this could be why? I know buying some expensive shoes would probably help, but unfortunately I'm a poor nursing student and can't really afford anything too expensive. I really want to start again so any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, yes, you need proper shoes. Not necessarily expensive ones. But shoes that properly fit.
    Second, you need to start slowly. Start with walking and slowly add running intervals. Increase running to walking ratio a bit every week, so if e.g. you start with 3 min walk 1 min run intervals, next week try 2.5 min walk 1.5 min run and so on. And start slowly, do not aim for fast running at first, but remember the basic goal thes first weeks is to get your body to adjust to running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I know buying some expensive shoes would probably help, but unfortunately I'm a poor nursing student and can't really afford anything too expensive.

The right shoes needn't be expensive, but they will pay dividends. Certainly lower cost than physio consultations.

There are other potential causes; doing too much too soon, running form, trying to go too fast before you're ready.

As a new runner I'd suggest some form of structured plan that'll help you avoid overuse. The NHS podcasts for the Couch to 5K plan do give some coaching guidance; http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes, proper shoes are a must. Get a fitting and find something that fits within your budget. Also running may not be the best for you, at this time. I so badly wanted to run too, but an old back injury and bad knees made it too painful for me. I found weight lifting and hiit much easier on my body and I still reached the same goals weight wise.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I would go to a good running store, have them assess your running form. They can recommend the proper footware and maybe assist you on improving the way you run (beyond flat feet, you may have muscle imbalances that need to be addressed).

Start slow (enthusiasm is great, but you have to reign in that ego and be safe).
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would stick to speed walking and save up to have some well fitted running shoes made.

I'm the opposite and have very high arches in my feet. My podiatrist make me some special insoles moulded to my feet that gave proper support and I noticed it was so much better. Luckily she only charged me £40 for these.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I agree, shoes will make a world of difference. I have a wide foot and ended up with foot pain, did some reading and it was because my sneakers were too tight, they didn't feel that tight. I loosened them up and started buying Wide width. So much better now.

The good news is once you find the right sneaker for you, mine is Nike in wide width, if you don't care about color, you can catch the sales. I just bought new sneakers on sale and they weren't very expensive. They are black with HOT pink. So you don't need to spend a fortune.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The best shoes in the world aren't going to prevent you for injuring yourself if you overdo it. Start with an 8-week Couch to 5K program and walk when it says to walk. If you can't complete every run segment in a workout without an "unplanned" walk break, then repeat that entire week. You don't have to, but that's what I did and I found that I could always complete all the runs the second time around. Also, slow down! Just relax and enjoy the process of progressing mindfully toward your goal. It may take a few more weeks than the official plan, but you'll get their with less pain and potential injury. Your mind and muscles are stronger than your ligaments and connective tissue. You have to give them time to adjust and get stronger.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    My podiatrist make me some special insoles moulded to my feet that gave proper support and I noticed it was so much better. Luckily she only charged me £40 for these.

When you could have gone out and bought cushioned running shoes with arch support for not much more than that...

• WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Expect to pay about $70-100 on a good pair of running shoes. There are plenty of cheaper shoes, but they don't last as long and don't offer the same support for your feet. Think of it as an investment! The beautiful thing is that this can be the only thing you buy for this particular exercise routine. No monthly fees, no other expensive equipment...this is it. Relatively cheap, really. The only other thing you might need to think about are inserts for additional arch or heel support, but that depends on your feet and running style. A fitting at a quality running store will tell you if you might need those. Those can cost about $40.

So go easy on your legs and feet by walking or something until you save up enough for good shoes. Then, when you do have them, build up yours legs to running slowly with interval training. It is really worth it!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist make me some special insoles moulded to my feet that gave proper support and I noticed it was so much better. Luckily she only charged me £40 for these.

When you could have gone out and bought cushioned running shoes with arch support for not much more than that...

I think you’re missing out on the value of having a professional assessment and fit for what you’re getting. While not perfect, I’d rather have professional help than just wing it with cushion. When I first started running distance, I thought I needed cushion (I’m heavier than most marathoners). After working with a running coach, I learned I actually needed stabilization and fit, which lead me to a specific shoe that was perfect for me. Professionals/coaches can save you from injury and pain if you approach them the right way.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    The shoes dont really have to be ultra high end expensive, you can find something on sale or clearance possibly. But yes, its important to have the right pair of shoes.
    When I began , I was wearing just my regular sneakers to the gym. I would ache and cry ,the pain was terrible. Finally when I found a pair that worked for me ( comfort and price ) then I wasn't in pain anymore. Don't get me wrong , I was still sore at times but nothing like the pain I had before
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Expect to pay about $70-100 on a good pair of running shoes.

Or in the UK; £40 upwards. I generally pay about £60 for mine by keeping a very close eye on the market.

• ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In addition to proper shoes and stretching...
    Try switching to the elliptical for a while. It will be much easier on your joints, so you can still get your cardio in while your joints play catch up and get used to the exercise.
    Also, think about supplements. I take glucosamine for joints and fish oil for ligaments.
  • scratchdesk
    scratchdesk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can find some outstanding deals on running shoes online. Joes's New Balance Outlet has some good deals sometimes and you can check slickdeals.net as well for all sorts of inexpensive brands once you determine your fit.

That being said I was in a similar situation. I started the Couch to 5k and wound up hurting my knee. Basically the muscles were contracting on one side of my leg and causing a lot of pressure and pain in and around the knee joint. I look forward to re-starting the program again in a few weeks though.

Does anyone have a set of stretches they recommend to help? Both pre and post run/jog.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

I think you’re missing out on the value of having a professional assessment and fit for what you’re getting.

Not particularly. Physios seem to default to adding something to a shoe, rather than identifying a shoe in the market that's suitable. So worst of both worlds since the insert affects the shoe dynamics and the shoe selected to put the insert in may not be the right one.

High arch, with the need for arch support indicates supination, so a cushioned shoe is more likely to be the answer. Regardless of whether my assessment of cushioned shoe or motion control shoe is right, it still needn't be much more expensive than £40 to go and just get the right shoe.
  • WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I should also add - being flat footed, you should talk to a podiatrist about inserts. I was having arch issues and got good custom inserts (better than the $40 ones that were offered at running stores) that my health insurance helped pay for....those made a HUGE difference in my comfort while running. If you can work it so that you can get something like that, you can even manage on cheaper shoes. Best of luck!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    IMHO, nothing takes the place of a proper fitting. A good shoe store should be willing to spend the better part of an hour with you to find out not only what fits on your feet, but also what feels right when you run. The store I go to encourages you to go for a short run around the parking lot in each shoe, since that's how you're going to be using them. You can't get this experience online or at some big warehouse.

Yes, you'll pay more this way but the way I see it, running is a pretty cheap activity overall. You don't need any fancy machines, equipment or even a gym membership. You need exercise clothes and running shoes and that's it. The clothes you have to buy anyway no matter what kind of exercise you do and they'll last. Invest in good shoes and expect to replace them periodically. Your legs, knees, feet and muscles will thank you.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says to get the right shoes. Even if they are expensive it is so worth it. Plus a good pair will last you 300 miles. Running on the treadmill at a running store is great not only for shoes, but to have your gait assessed. If you pronate they can recommend a shoe that can help correct that. If you are striking the ground on your heel or toes that's a mechanics issue and being aware of it can help you correct it. I kept wanting to buy the minimalist shoes that are out (mostly for aesthetic reasons) but the running store set me straight. I have high arches and need more support. Who knew?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    walk work your way up to running. Good shoes are key. Good luck on your Journey

29509743.png
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    proper shoes. you also probably started way too fast and going way too long, and way too often.