I need help I don't eat meat or any dairy

Options
12Ace12
12Ace12 Posts: 30 Member
I just stop eating meat 4/25 and dariy on the 4/28 I need to know what food to eat. Help Help Pleaseeeee!

Replies

• Monikaj4
    Monikaj4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Meat is good source of protein though. But if u wanna cut it all out then I recommend salmon, tuna, lots of vegetables.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Why did you cut them out?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why did you stop eating meat and dairy? Medical reasons? Ethical reasons? Another reason?

What do you like to eat? Do you have any other special dietary or medical needs? Are you in the US (to make food suggestions more helpful)? Are you restricting calories right now?
  • 12Ace12
    Options
    Salmon and tuna I never like them so I will go with vegetables. Thanks
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    12Ace12 wrote: »

Vegetables are good, but if you were using meat and dairy to meet your protein needs you will want to consider foods with a higher protein count: tofu, beans, tempeh, seitan, grains -- these foods will help you meet your protein needs.
  • 12Ace12
    Options
    Ok
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I just stop eating meat 4/25 and dariy on the 4/28 I need to know what food to eat. Help Help Pleaseeeee!

Wut?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that you are planning to just eat vegetables?
  • tiu_amy75
    tiu_amy75 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi 12Ace12 - I've not eaten meat or dairy for the last 3 years. I highly recommend that you take a look at one of the 21-day or 30-day challenges, like the PCRM 21-day challenge or Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's 30 day vegan challenge. They'll have lots of daily menus for you to get started with.

A basic meal plan you might consider starting with (so you don't starve while you figure out what you want to eat):
    - Smoothie or oatmeal for breakfast (consider trying a tofu scramble, they are delicious)
    - Leftovers or salad with lentils, baked tofu, veggies, sunflower or pumpkin seeds
    - Veggies & hummus or apple slices & almond butter for snack
    - Tofu stir-fry or a quinoa bowl for dinner (quinoa/rice bowls - add a serving of your favorite beans, a serving of greens, and your favorite sauce, I like a peanut sauce - yum). I also highly recommend Angela Liddon's Lentil-Walnut taco meat mix - you can find the recipe for free at her blog Oh She Glows.
    - Frozen banana ice cream for dessert

You'll be fine - and you certainly won't starve. Good luck to you!
  • 12Ace12
    Options

Going Vegetarian
  • crazygrandma1963
    crazygrandma1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Salmon and tuna are both meat.
  • crazygrandma1963
    crazygrandma1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Read the books by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He advocates a vegan diet and has some pretty good and well-balanced recipes. He also explains the nutrition behind veganism, although he calls it nutritarianism. Good luck!
  • 12Ace12
    Options
    Why did you stop eating meat and dairy? Medical reasons? Ethical reasons? Another reason?

What do you like to eat? Do you have any other special dietary or medical needs? Are you in the US (to make food suggestions more helpful)? Are you restricting calories right now?

Yes I live in US
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good sources of vegetarian-friendly protein are veggie burgers (trust me, some brands, like Boca or Morning Star, taste like burgers), and veggie chicken patties. They also make killer other stuff, like veggie BBQ ribs, veggie chicken nuggets, veggie buffalo wings... They're all so tasty! You can also eat tofu-- some don't like the texture, but it basically tastes like whatever you cook it with. Nuts and seeds are good sources of protein as well.

Might want to take a calcium supplement, but almond and soy milk are DELICIOUS! You can buy the vanilla flavor and they don't even taste like milk.
  • 12Ace12
    Options
    Thanks I was feeling bad about the replys but thanks you so much

• khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I recommend the calcium supplement if you don't want to look for milk alternatives, especially if you are female. Your body needs calcium to help with bone density, and women are particularly prone to osteoporosis.
  • 12Ace12
    Options
    Ok
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you should have had the foresight to figure this out.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great source of protein and fiber. Ideas:

Stuffed peppers - bell pepper stuff with brown rice, tomatoes, onions, etc.

Black bean burgers

Wonton cups - press wonton wrapper in muffin tin, fill with beans, tomatoes, corn, etc. Bake. This is versatile enough to fill with different ingredients.

Zucchini boats - scoop out zucchini, fill with marinara, veggie, etc. Bake in oven.

Whole grain pasta or high fiber pasta. You can cook 1/2 portion then toss in roasted veggies.

Vegetable lasagna.

Idk if you eat eggs but omelets with vegetables are great.

Vegetarian chili. I used different types of beans - pinto, kidney, black beans, diced tomatoes and season with chili seasonings.

Bean burritos.

Vegetable stir fried rice.

Portabella mushroom burgers. Yummmmy! Season and grill then put on a whole grain 100 calorie sandwich round with favorite toppings.

Vegetable fajitas. Peppers, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes seasoned with fajita seasoning and serve with tortilla.

Then remember you can take leftovers and transform into other things like chili would be good over a baked potato. Also, great with brown rice.

Snack idea is to take garbanzo beans, drain, season with spices and bake for a great spiced chickpea.

I'm not vegetarian but I tried eating vegetarian once and I adore vegetables. Hope these help.

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Fruits
    Vegetables
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Beans
    Brown Rice
    Nissin Oriental Ramen Noodles (those are vegan)
    Hummus and/or Tahini
    Certain Breads are vegan
    ALdi's has seasoned french fries that are vegan and delicious
    Tofu
    Gardein Products are vegan and they taste like meat, You can find them in the frozen food section at Publix or Whole Foods
    Some dark chocolates are vegan
    iherbs,com sells vegan chocolates made with rice milk
    You can also bake your own foods but use Ener G egg replacer since it contains no dairy