Exercise 'not key to obesity fight' Doctors say

Options

Replies

• APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what the real issue is in the MFP community regarding this topic - Weight gain and weight loss work differently for everyone and I would think that factors like exercise, individual metabolism, and nutrients ingested all contribute to someone's success. I'm a believer that there are no absolutes when it comes to science, but that doesn't mean that all theories that don't work for everyone are hogwash.

There have been many studies done (do your own research, I've done mine) that propose that it's not just the number of calories that you take in, but the type of calories you take in, that can make a difference between being a healthy weight or overweight, based on their effect on resting calorie burn. A calorie is not just a calorie, and if you're wanting to get the most bang for your buck for your calorie intake, you need to look at what nutritional value those calories have, based on your individual needs.

As far as sugar goes, from personal experience, and this is based on my body chemistry and my metabolism, avoiding processed sugar has amazing positive effects. I have more energy, less inflammation, less water retention, clearer thinking, and a more positive outlook on life. Would everyone? I doubt it, but before you start arguing against something (unless you're arguing just for the sake of arguing), try it and then form your opinions based on your own individual experience.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what the real issue is in the MFP community regarding this topic - Weight gain and weight loss work differently for everyone and I would think that factors like exercise, individual metabolism, and nutrients ingested all contribute to someone's success. I'm a believer that there are no absolutes when it comes to science...
    What's your view on the speed of light in a vacuum?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    While I appreciate this is not the best written article... Not everyone knows abs are made in the kitchen... People largely think that if they exercise it doesn't matter what they eat. Also if they're not informed about calories they may assume that a 30 minute run means that they have 'earned' a bottle of red and an entire pizza

I saw a news piece this week that was talking about the use of cloth reusable grocery bags. People who use them tend to buy more junk food. The theory is that people see it as earning brownie points. Because they're doing their part for the environment they have earned the right to eat junk food. The same goes for exercise. People see exercise as giving them brownie points to eat more than they should.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what the real issue is in the MFP community regarding this topic - Weight gain and weight loss work differently for everyone and I would think that factors like exercise, individual metabolism, and nutrients ingested all contribute to someone's success. I'm a believer that there are no absolutes when it comes to science, but that doesn't mean that all theories that don't work for everyone are hogwash.

There have been many studies done (do your own research, I've done mine) that propose that it's not just the number of calories that you take in, but the type of calories you take in, that can make a difference between being a healthy weight or overweight, based on their effect on resting calorie burn. A calorie is not just a calorie, and if you're wanting to get the most bang for your buck for your calorie intake, you need to look at what nutritional value those calories have, based on your individual needs.

As far as sugar goes, from personal experience, and this is based on my body chemistry and my metabolism, avoiding processed sugar has amazing positive effects. I have more energy, less inflammation, less water retention, clearer thinking, and a more positive outlook on life. Would everyone? I doubt it, but before you start arguing against something (unless you're arguing just for the sake of arguing), try it and then form your opinions based on your own individual experience.

Sorry but CICO applies to everyone on MFP, so yes, it is the same for all of us.

And yes, from an energy standpoint, a calorie is just a calorie. So 100 calories of carrots = 100 calories of ice cream; however, they are not the same nutritionally.

I eat processed sugar and have no issues with inflammation, energy levels, and my blood work comes back perfect every year. There is nothing wrong with sugar and there is no reason to avoid it, unless one has a medical condition. If you want to then that is fine, just don't try to convince the rest of us that it is "poison."
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Completely agree with everything you've said. Avoiding added sugars even just for the past couple of weeks has made me feel so much better. Some people can clearly tolerate them; well I can't. So I've decided not to have any.

About the 'CICO philosophy' of MFP, I find it amusing that the founder of this site admitted in an interview last week that this was only ever intended as a starting point – a simplification – for those that don't understand anything about nutrition. Yet so many here are convinced this is the be-all-and-end all of dietary reform. :smile:
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have more energy, less inflammation,

How did you measure this? Was there before and after measurements? If it's just personal opinion/evaluation I'm afraid that proves nothing
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

You know what? I had issues with inflammation when I didn't eat sugar. Not eating sugar did nothing to relieve my medical condition. In fact, I had a new inflammatory autoimmune disease start while I was abstaining from sugar. What inflammatory issues did you have that giving up processed sugar cleared up?

I eat sugar now. I find that exercise is the best thing for dealing with inflammation. If something keeps me from exercising for too long (and sometimes, one of my medical conditions will do just that), the inflammatory condition will act up. Has nothing to do with sugar. Has to do with missing out on working out.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    About the 'CICO philosophy' of MFP, I find it amusing that the founder of this site admitted in an interview last week that this was only ever intended as a starting point – a simplification – for those that don't understand anything about nutrition. Yet so many here are convinced this is the be-all-and-end all of dietary reform. :smile:

The founder is also an Eliminationist:

One of the first things I did was log a sandwich, and I had no idea that mayo had so many calories — 90 calories per tablespoon vs. only 5 per tablespoon for mustard. Basically, since that day, I haven’t eaten mayo.

Personally I haven't eliminated sugars, but I sure do avoid foods with meaningful amounts of added sugars and I'm careful about foods with lots of natural sugars. I don't have a choice - IIFYM requires me to.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I have more energy, less inflammation,

How did you measure this? Was there before and after measurements? If it's just personal opinion/evaluation I'm afraid that proves nothing

Sorry, but there's no requirement for anyone to 'prove' anything. Some of us have made a personal decision to reduce our sugar intake and we feel better for it. Some of us choose to share that experience on forums such as this one. End of story.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is basically stating what I always state...diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

I've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight all while exercising regularly...the difference between the three was my consumption. That's all this article is saying, and I agree.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Oh god the comments on this article are so much fat logic. I'm glad I belong here and not there

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32417699?ocid=socialflow_facebook

And, it is true that you don't have to exercise to lose weight, all you have to eat less calories than you burn. That's it. If you choose to exercise, it helps create a bigger calorie deficit, that's all. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness at the gym.

As for the rest of the article, it's all opinion.
  • SLLRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just wish when an article is posted people would read it and ideally look at the original article, then use some rational analysis of whats being said and in what context.

Tiger, this is twice you've said that. You don't know that. Why not just allow people to share what they need to share?
  • fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think the study only disproves the myth that if you start working out you can eat however much you want, especially if it is a "healthy" food. Unfortunately the information will be misused as an excuse to not exercise.

Optimal health is achieved by a combination of diet and exercise, period.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    If you choose to exercise, it helps create a bigger calorie deficit, that's all.

This is exactly the kind of misleading over-simplification that gets people in trouble. There are many direct benefits to weight loss from exercise, beyond just creating a bigger deficit (which shouldn't even be done, most of the time).

• SLLRunner
    Options

Completely agree with everything you've said. Avoiding added sugars even just for the past couple of weeks has made me feel so much better. Some people can clearly tolerate them; well I can't. So I've decided not to have any.

So, you avoid fruit too? You have zero sugar in your diet?

Weight loss is calories in/calories out. Anything outside of CICO-diet type, less sugar, more protein, etc.-has to do with personal preference and/or medical issues.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    While I appreciate this is not the best written article... Not everyone knows abs are made in the kitchen... People largely think that if they exercise it doesn't matter what they eat. Also if they're not informed about calories they may assume that a 30 minute run means that they have 'earned' a bottle of red and an entire pizza

I think more people know better than that, even if they are obese. Even when I was obese I knew it was because I hate too much and no amount of exercise was going to outrun a bad diet. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    If you choose to exercise, it helps create a bigger calorie deficit, that's all.

This is exactly the kind of misleading over-simplification that gets people in trouble. There are many direct benefits to weight loss from exercise, beyond just creating a bigger deficit (which shouldn't even be done, most of the time).

Wait, most of the time you say not to eat back exercise calories, so... WHAT?

If you're not creating a bigger deficit what exactly does your exercise burn do?

(For the record, just so you know, I don't eat back exercise calories... okay yesterday I ate back about 17 calories... I walk primarily to help my psoriatic arthritis and strength train to strengthen the muscles that support my messed up joints.)

• Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time, people say not to eat back the calories because we underestimate what we eat and overestimate what we burn.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    A lot of the time, people say not to eat back the calories because we underestimate what we eat and overestimate what we burn.

:drinker:

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you think CICO is just a philosophy, why don't you run an experiment on yourself. Reduce as much added sugar and processed carbs as you like, and eat in a 500 calorie per day surplus for four months, and report back with the results and before and after pictures.

My money is on the fact that you would gain a substantial amount of weight.