What is the best diet advice you have ever gotten?

Options

Replies

• Dalinair
    Dalinair Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To realise just what the portion size is you are putting in your mouth and that its probably too big. You may think you dont eat unhealthily but if what you do eat is huge, thats going to be your downfall. I suppose this is kinda the same advice or at least linked to weighing everything but quite often you cant and becoming aware of portion size helps hugely.

Coming to this site, measuring everything by calories and having a limit then finding oh, it seems my usual dinner is WAY bigger than it should be was a definite eye opener and my hardest downfall, it took a good couple of months to get used to smaller portions but eventually your body will get used to them honest (in most cases)!
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Best advice I have received..."Look at the overall trend over the past week, 2 weeks, month...etc. If you are losing, you are on track" I was focusing too much on the daily fluctuations and needed to look over the past month's trend to see that I was losing consistently.
  • saruuhm
    saruuhm Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What you eat in private will show in public!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The best, most helpful advice I got is a tie between weigh everything, and you don't have to eat a certain way to lose weight - just less than you burn.

^This and a recommendation to use MFP.

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    CICO, you can't out-train a bad diet, and that everyone falls down but what matters is getting back up again.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything for the first few months. That side baguette the Panera employee tore off could be a lot more than the portion size on the website.

Eat like you would for the rest of your life. This is huge for mood and sustainability.

After a few months of successful CICO tracking, use this tool as more of a guideline now that you know how to eat. You don't want to track for the rest of your life, do you? (I'm still working on this.)
  • humble_aBodhi
    humble_aBodhi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    By far the best advice I've ever gotten..."You should try the keto diet" followed by a long-winded explanation why. Down 30lbs so far :)
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Follow a thin person around for a day.

Not sure if I can be considered thin or not, but if you "followed" me around, you'd just standing there watching me in my bed on my computer all day (working from home, then playing video games) chomping on snacks and desserts, then finally getting up for a 40-minute workout, which would be the extent of my daily movement. CICO is the only reason my habits don't stop me from losing weight.
  • paisleygal33
    paisleygal33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Any program will work, but you have to do it.
    Also, it is not a diet. These need to be lifestyle changes if you want to get healthy and stay healthy.

• teegoods38
    teegoods38 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Havea patience, portion control!!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    eat less move more

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with weighing your food! I will say that people with lower stress seem to lose and keep the weight off.
  • ljcolasanto
    ljcolasanto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That I'm not special. The laws of physics apply to me perfectly well, and if I eat less calories than I expend, I *will* lose weight.
  • RememberWhy13
    RememberWhy13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    *Learn to realize when you're actually hungry
    *Don't give up - a step at a time, a day at a time and you'll get there
    *It's not a diet, it's not restrictive, it's about balance
    *Enjoy the little victories
    *Don't use food as a reward
  • shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »
    Don't think that everything is ruined and go on a binge just because you went over your calorie goal one day. Just like you don't go and spend the rest of your money just because you went over your budget on one item.

This is really good! If I overspend on something, I am always adamant about finding ways to save in other areas to get my budget back on track. Why is it so much harder with food? I am definitely going to try to think of it like this from now on.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've never really asked for or received diet "advice", but the one thing that really resonated with me was the basic mathematics that proved one binge shouldn't end my weight loss journey. Once I saw in black and white that I would have to eat an ADDITIONAL 3,500 calories above maintenance in order to gain one, stupid pound, it clicked. It's all just math, and I can handle that.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Someone told me I should check out some app called My Fitness Pal. :D

Good one.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Zara11 wrote: »
    CICO, you can't out-train a bad diet, and that everyone falls down but what matters is getting back up again.

Really good advice.
  • lrenaee
    lrenaee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry enough to make and eat some chicken and vegetables, maybe you're not very hungry!

And no, I don't just eat chicken and veggies, but it really helped me in the beginning to think about if I really was hungry, or just bored, or just wanted to eat something yummy (like donuts yum!).