Fasting days

Options
2»

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Outside of religious/spiritual beliefs, I don't see the point. Your system does not need resetting. I always like the "our ancestors did X, Y, and Z" stuff too...as if they had a choice in the matter.

I'll kill a mo-fo if I don't have food for 24 hours...

There's some research showing that fasting can increase autophagy and may be related to longer life span.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against fasting. It helps us to see how dependent we are on God. But I don't see it as a way to reset your metabolism.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Outside of religious/spiritual beliefs, I don't see the point. Your system does not need resetting. I always like the "our ancestors did X, Y, and Z" stuff too...as if they had a choice in the matter.

There's some research showing that fasting can increase autophagy and may be related to longer life span.

cool story...

there's some research showing that eating a well balanced and nutritious diet and getting regular exercise may be related to longer life span...so I'll just stick with that...thanks anyway.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    I'm doing the math and I can't figure out how this can make a meaningful difference. And that's assuming that you don't let the fast day affect your eating immediately before and after (unlikely) or the rest of the month (again unlikely).
    We do full day fasts twice a year for religious reasons, and several other minor fasts (sunup to sundown), and when I look around my synagogue it's not exactly filled with skinny people ;)

Lets assume your maintenance calories are 2400/day. If you lose a day of calories and do nothing else, you have created an average 350 cal/day deficit .. or about 3/4 of a pound per week loss. That seems like a meaningful difference.

that's if you do it once per week. The OP suggested once a month, so that's less than 1/4 lb. And again, that's assuming no change to your eating habits as a result of it, which I find unlikely.
  • Kaylinerst3663
    Kaylinerst3663 Posts: 33 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Obviously, eating or not eating effects people very differently. Some people aren't bothered by it and some struggle with headaches and low energy. Some people can do cardio and strength training on their fasting day, and some people would pass out if they tried.

If you can handle life effectively, and are safe about things, there there should be no issues with how you choose to eat or not eat. The idea sounds good to me, I know I do it on occasion. Also when i do it, I try to stick to my MFP calories for the rest of the week, and if I do go over a bit the next day or enjoy an extra snack that weekend, I made the wiggle room for myself.

You can miss a day of food and not change your eating habits as a result. Yes, you may WANT to eat because you didn't the day before, but that's not because you HAVE to. It's no different than the first couple days of any diet change, you WANT something because its what you are used to, not because you NEED it. That can be overcome. That's what we are doing on here, right? We are learning why we overeat and learning to listen to our bodies and figure out what we really need.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

cool story...

there's some research showing that eating a well balanced and nutritious diet and getting regular exercise may be related to longer life span...so I'll just stick with that...thanks anyway.

I bet if you do both, it actually reverses aging.
  • RolandPHX
    RolandPHX Posts: 13 Member
    Options

cool story...

I bet if you do both, it actually reverses aging.

Cwolfman13, I completely agree that balanced/nutritious diet is an absolute must. However, I also agree with Sullus, I think there is concrete data showing that fasting once in a while to be a good process (for healthy individuals).
  • Coachconni
    Coachconni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There is good info on the net about the great benefits of fasting. I've done 3 day fasts and I turn to it very often. But, I would only recommend it if you are receptive to it. If going without food makes you feel like you are dying, you are not open to it and should never attempt it because it will most likely destabilize any balance you have achieved by dieting. It helped me become comfortable going without food again like i used to as a teenager. The idea is not to practice starving but fasting helped me get rid of food obsession. Now a days when I haven't eaten I can calmly wait till I can have something low calorie.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Coachconni wrote: »
    There is good info on the net about the great benefits of fasting.

55922259.jpg
  • PostExamsHealthBinge
    PostExamsHealthBinge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've gone around 10 days without food and have found fasting as quite therapeutic, I wouldn't say I feel the benefits of a day fast but I could regularly do 2 day fasts and really feel the benefits
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I've gone around 10 days without food and have found fasting as quite therapeutic, I wouldn't say I feel the benefits of a day fast but I could regularly do 2 day fasts and really feel the benefits

Wait, you didn’t eat for 10 days? And what benefits? :open_mouth: