Anyone ever lose a very close pet?

Options

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Pets are such loyal family members, it is so hard to let go. They love so unconditionally. A friend of mine lost her dog a few months ago, I went home and snuggled mine a little more. I have no idea how I will deal with the inevitable day that I lose my baby. He is 9 right now and acts like a puppy most days.

hugs to you.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    tri_bob wrote: »
    People who haven't experienced this often don't understand how wrenching and painful this can be. I swear, I'm having difficulty maintaining my composure at my desk, remembering when we had to put down Maxie, our fat old (13 years old? 14?) that we adopted when she was maybe 10, and who to her last days still acted like a puppy.

The pain eventually becomes less acute, but never quite goes away, and the hole in your heart never quite fills in. But in time, the happy memories crowd out the pain you're feeling right now. Here's hoping you heal soon.

Thank you ;…( now Im crying again. Im sorry for your loss and glad to know I'm not alone :….(
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    YES. It's a horrible experience. I find I rarely even talk about it because even just typing this, I automatically tear up. Pets are such a huge part of us. I always like to think they will be around forever, but, sadly, not the case. Losing my dogs (two Dalmatians who made it to ages 13 and 15) helped me become a more gracious person. I make every effort to find the good in things and be thankful for all the good things. I am soooo glad I had the time I had with them and would not trade it for the world.

I have two kitties now (easier to travel with than the dogs) and one of them is just like one of the dogs (personality-wise). He just reads me and makes these cute little noises when he comes up to me or just sees me down the hall. Love those little furballs.

So very sorry for your loss. I can really say it gets better with time, I think you have to make a conscious effort to make yourself feel better. Best wishes - my heart definitely goes out to you.
    Yeessss, this!! :..(

• rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I lost my big furbaby a year ago. He was an 18 year old big black cat that had been through more with me than most people I know, and was always there. (Many nights he went to sleep with me with tear stained, wet fur). He was put to sleep in our home after a tumor that got so big he couldn't eat. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do (I'm actually losing a little composure here at my desk thinking about it). It gets better, but it takes time. It's absolutely okay to grieve a pet like a loved one, sometimes they are just as big a part of our family and grieving is grieving. Here's hoping you find peace and know that even though you weren't there, he knew you loved him. Animals are like that.
  • RedArizona5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rhonderoo wrote: »
    I lost my big furbaby a year ago. He was an 18 year old big black cat that had been through more with me than most people I know, and was always there. (Many nights he went to sleep with me with tear stained, wet fur). He was put to sleep in our home after a tumor that got so big he couldn't eat. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do (I'm actually losing a little composure here at my desk thinking about it). It gets better, but it takes time. It's absolutely okay to grieve a pet like a loved one, sometimes they are just as big a part of our family and grieving is grieving. Here's hoping you find peace and know that even though you weren't there, he knew you loved him. Animals are like that.
    He died from cancer, and was true he was strong after a tennis ball tumor from his right thigh and a popcorn tumor from his near his tear duct on his right *eye was removed and he healed not a moth later from his eye healing-he was dying-he left us. Cancer favored his right half.
    I wonder if the cancer that spread and eventually to his lungs which stopped his breathing (in hindsight we saw why he was breathing hard at the vets) if the cancer clogged his right side of the lung or both-will have to ask today if i decide to get the courage to talk to vet with out bawling. Or will ask when we pic his ashes up monday. The vet is proving a very nice cherry wood box free for his ashes. I won't be able to contain myself.

• RedArizona5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I read EACH n EVERY response. I relate to all of you who mentioned any relation to pets you love or had loved. I could personally hug everyone who has and will reply. I will read these again for comfort when i need too-i will def. need too. I have 3 candles going in his room with his picture. I usually put a votive where i last saw him when before i left for ever that day and i start sobbing when i think of getting his decent sized tarp like pen out of his room-his somewhat dirty bedding is there , his pet toy/friend/comapnion/lover was put by his side and the toy * not moved since the day and and i just don't want to know that i have to rid of it. I don't want to see how the room looks with pen gone-i don't want* that aaaaaack. I don't want anymore pets, i won't. He stole my heart and now broke my heart. I pretend he is still in his pen lots. When we gone for our first walk-my hubby and i we saw extra more rabbits and one so close-closest ever. I lost it then and there saying he is with us in spirit and can feel him ;_________( I want him back so badly.
    Hugs-all of you Hugs
    I visit his pen and move his bedding around-analizing and think and wishing but also understanding he couldn't be with us forever and we have lots of memories. Just never wanted to let go.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. *hug* Losing a pet is traumatic. My cat and dog are my children. They were the only thing that kept me going when my Husband passed suddenly. They say time heals all wounds. That's not true. The pain will never go away, but when you are ready your heart will start to remember the moments filled with love, snuggles and silly antics more than the sadness and heartbreak. Someone above suggested adopting a rescue in his memory. Maybe one day you will find yourself ready to love a new pet.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    Whats worst is its finals week. My buddy couldn't wait a week longer.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Last October I had to witness my 10 month old puppy get hit by a car. It was the worst thing I've ever had to experience, I'm just grateful I was with her in her final moments. Losing her was awful and I'm still struggling with it. She was my best friend, we did everything together, she even went to work with me every day. Even though it has been months, it hasn't gotten easier. I cry less, but I still feel the emptiness without her. All I can recommend is to try to take care of yourself and let yourself grieve.
  • RedArizona5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you notnikkiissixx.
    Yikes Im sorry you had to witness such a tragedy. Must have been awful. I will def. feel the way you do. I def. feel empty gr8 I'm crying again jeez. I feel very empty. I said, a couple of times, how maybe it would have been better i never got marshmallow. I got him for free at a farm in august of '07. He was the one that was in the back cuddling and being cuddled by other bunnies. Not sure if it was his family but either blood or not he his personality def created himself a pack. His personality was just a magnet. I would take him out when he was younger at my apartments before i married and moved in with my hubby and people would think it was a puppy. One person said as they approached him "oh wow i thought you had dog" to their surprise. I just don't think we will have any pets.
    Hubby reminds me to not think regretfully and that marshmallow loved us and we gave a life someone could never have given-a life with attention, cuddles, respect, food, treats, warmth, sanitation. Many animals go very neglected today-of all times today. You'd think humanity would have learned by now?
    My heart is aching hard.
    I cannot handle it anymore. and to replace the sadness for marshmallow with sadness for a new pet to me would be betrayal. He was that special to me. My 1 and only Marmellow. lil buddy, buddy-uddy.
    Pets have so much love when its the right one. Truly magical how an animal can capture our soul, amazes me truly.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yikes Im sorry you had to witness such a tragedy. Must have been awful. I will def. feel the way you do. I def. feel empty gr8 I'm crying again jeez. I feel very empty. I said, a couple of times, how maybe it would have been better i never got marshmallow. I got him for free at a farm in august of '07. He was the one that was in the back cuddling and being cuddled by other bunnies. Not sure if it was his family but either blood or not he his personality def created himself a pack. His personality was just a magnet. I would take him out when he was younger at my apartments before i married and moved in with my hubby and people would think it was a puppy. On e person said as they approached him "oh wow i thought you had dog" to their surprise. I just don't think we will have any pets.
    My heart is aching hard.
    I cannot handle it anymore. and to replace the sadness for marshmallow with sadness for a new pet to me would be betrayal. He was that special to me. My 1 and only Marmellow. lil buddy, buddy-uddy.
    Pets have so much love when its the right one. Truly magical how an animal can capture our soul, amazes me truly.

The best you can do now is think about all those great years you had with your buddy! Even though it hurts, look at old pictures of him and let yourself just cry it out, it seriously helps! The grieving process is weird and it seems endless, but let yourself feel everything.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a cat last year and I don't think I'll ever get over it.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    Yikes Im sorry you had to witness such a tragedy. Must have been awful. I will def. feel the way you do. I def. feel empty gr8 I'm crying again jeez. I feel very empty. I said, a couple of times, how maybe it would have been better i never got marshmallow. I got him for free at a farm in august of '07. He was the one that was in the back cuddling and being cuddled by other bunnies. Not sure if it was his family but either blood or not he his personality def created himself a pack. His personality was just a magnet. I would take him out when he was younger at my apartments before i married and moved in with my hubby and people would think it was a puppy. On e person said as they approached him "oh wow i thought you had dog" to their surprise. I just don't think we will have any pets.
    My heart is aching hard.

The best you can do now is think about all those great years you had with your buddy! Even though it hurts, look at old pictures of him and let yourself just cry it out, it seriously helps! The grieving process is weird and it seems endless, but let yourself feel everything.
    I have and will continue thank you. I was watching videos that i need to back up before they are gone, of marshmallow eating post surgery and drinking his water and being loved and petted by me so i watched them last night on the couch and tears fell.
    I have been doing a lot of it. sucks, sucks, sucks
  • RedArizona5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yesterday it happened once and today too and just now even i felt anger! Rage. At him. Like how dare he leave me to be this train wreck. Its a new phase thats coming in and i think i read somewhere that anger is the next step up? Idk Idc either. Im just glad that all you guys support me.

In turn I guess I know how you all felt and well still feel. I never felt pain for a loss like this is why its so hard. I went through the loss of relatives but i was just never as close. Making the statement that we choose who are family is all the more true.

I don't want children so marshmallow was kind of like the son i will never have. I been through a lot in my life. You may find a book about it on the shelf one day I would like to write one. If i did my rabbit would be a whole chapter and possibly the longest chapter in my book. I

Kinda feel guilty grieving because as I have had a rough life, I have a good life now. I'm married to the sweetest guy ever and we are soul mates um i feel like why am i grieving over a rabbit when my husband is the one i should be loving because what if i was to lose him or him me to whatever and then what-time lost for yes a sweet aminamal or animamal<--not typos- and yes! i talk like this to my bunny just add a baby voice to my lil aminamal and its how i sometimes address my creature. Idk I sometimes feel like God has blessed me these days and i shouldn't grieve over stuff when i could lose more stuff if that makes sense.

I will still grieve. Its just a good example of compassion and love speaking out and it should be embraced by anyone in contact.

When my bear cub like rabbit was around I too would tear up just thinking of his presence gone and tried to have an out of body experiance even to prepare myself and would have crying moments and then hang out with him and cherish him but now he IS gone and I'm just an emotional wreck. My rationality is out of place. I just really didn't feel like i needed to get out of bed because i knew i didn't need to check in on him as i do every morning…wait….weeks before his passing i would wait to open his door so i wouldn't find him on his side. I would always wait a second before opening it and then would open the door and he is just grooming himself for me (aw)
    i didn't want to keep his door closed but had to because my hubby gets i mean got woken up by him several times and he has to be up early….anyways. Thank you guys I do feel a tiny tiny improvement from the day of. I hated seeing his dead body and the tiny pool of blood by his mouth. The spot is there and took a picture so i will never forget that day
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been there. January 28th, I put my dog Snoop to sleep. She was my rock for 14 years. We went through obedience training together, she often accompanied me on walks or runs. You name it, she was right there on my left-side. Every day I still look between the shelves in the garage where her bed was. She was invited into the house, but always went back to the garage to sleep. It was as if that was her station to watch over.

I think I cry once a week over her loss. I don't know when this gets any easier, but you're not alone hon :smile:
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    Laura732 wrote: »
    Yes, I have been there. January 28th, I put my dog Snoop to sleep. She was my rock for 14 years. We went through obedience training together, she often accompanied me on walks or runs. You name it, she was right there on my left-side. Every day I still look between the shelves in the garage where her bed was. She was invited into the house, but always went back to the garage to sleep. It was as if that was her station to watch over.

I think I cry once a week over her loss. I don't know when this gets any easier, but you're not alone hon :smile:

I will be like this. I think i will have a moment every so often where i just let it go to remember the love he brought to us.

I did have a childhood beagle named snoopy-Another poster had mentioned it earlier and that puppy was awesome he died sooner than he should have. he was an outside dog. I cannot mention his death-it was unusual and extremely personal and tragic. I have to block it out even but i just wasn't close to him like rrrrrrabbit.
    I think beagles are awesome my hubby has one who is with the sis in law in colorado. Her name is Aries. And is ancient. She has great energy and stamina for her old age but heard she is going def (naturally) my hubby took good care of her until sis took her-she will be missed. beagles are good temperaments.
    We miss our pets and i miss my rabbit. Silly old rabbit thief. breaking my heart. rest in peace buddies of the world rest in sweet peace over the other side of the rainbow bridge
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

I know it hurts. When I lost the dog who'd seen me through the tempest that was my teenage years, college, and cancer, it was a heavy blow. I tried to go the whole "stiff upper lip" route and wound up making myself physically ill trying to bottle it all up.

Things will get better in time. It wont' be fast, and it won't simply leave. You'll still have that feeling of loss. I sure do, even though it's been four years and I've got another dog to take care of. I still miss Max and his personal idiosyncrasies.

But life does move on, and you eventually develop a new life where the loved one / pet now resides in your memories.
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Time will be your best friend here. No it won't make you care less, but it will change the hurt that comes with the memories. I recently lost my favorite dog to cancer just a week after I lost my mom. The grief of both combined can find me at the strangest of times. If possible I allow it to wash over me, give myself a set time in the grief and then recognize this is not how either would want me to be. So I try to think of all the happy memories and allow them to drag me out of the grief. I have lost several close pets over the years and I will be the first to tell you, you will always think about them and remember them. It does get easier, but there may be a touch of sadness each time you think of your beloved pet. I have 5 other dogs (One was my mom's that I took ownership of when she passed) They do not make the process easier but they do show me that grief is natural for all living beings who have pack tendencies. They also show me joy and gratefulness are the way to celebrate the life that has past. I send you hugs.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    I have grieved hard when pets have died before. You loved your pet. They were a special part of your life. It takes time just like if a person you loved died.
    Someday you will probably have another pet in your life. Don't rush it. I got another cat before I was ready and never really bonded with her because she wasn't my beloved cat. When I waited a few years to get another dog it was easier.
  • RedArizona5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Taking hugs CindyRIP^^^^^^Thank you and you said what i needed to hear. I feel it will make me care less. So it won't, i will have to tell my self as it won't be easy.
    So true and know exactly what you mean how i will always think of him and remember him. He was attached to everything i did. I did my nails with him and he being the curious lil thang would come right up and bump with his nose my nail polish. ugh i miss his nose bumps-they mean* different things at different times but when he did them to tell me hi whats up. good times. I usually don't go to bed without him and don't wake without him and i def. can't leave the house before checking in on him at least if i don't have time to waste and pet and love on him. i miss picking him up-oh man i loved that. he didn't though. he would be patient enough just for me and just for a minute and then his eyes get big and he makes whimpers to be to put back down. he was a vocal rabbit. he whimpered to get my attention and whimpered in his sleep.
    Every single thing i do he is there. Imiss him watching me.
    there a meme out there where a dogs eyes are peering above the couch and it says i am always watching u in all caps. Thats my buddy.
    He would follow me s far as he could in the pen. He used to be a free roamer but we moved (which was hard on him) and he was going outside his cage more often we didn't want our carpets ruined and he liked to chew the black rubber sealant on the patio sliding door frame on the bottom he chewed all that off and we didn't want that so we decided to give a lot of space to walk and stretch out in front of his home. Pation glass door was THE spot for him. He knew our new apartment had one and i think he resented me for not letting him near it as it could have been home away from home but new because there was more rubber sealant to chew off and lick while he stretches his rabbit legs out. Ah i miss his legs being stretched out in total comfort. I think a scrap book/journal is going to be needed when the semester ends here the next week. I can't wait till I'm out. I hate having to go without him at home. It helps though to be around people. I just don't wear makeup because it comes right off. like yesterday i cried in the bathroom stall and it wasn't enough to cry. All i wanted to do was cry at home but couldn't THAT was bad for me