Mother shamed for sending her child to school with oreos

adamitri
adamitri Posts: 614 Member
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/preschooler-gets-note-about-cookies-in-her-lunch

Who says a small snack of Oreo's is so unhealthy as part of a balanced lunch that included a sandwich and string cheese. Are we taking nutrition in schools too far?

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Ugh. Seriously, this makes me question whether I even want to have kids. If this happened to me, I would flip my shiz, and probably pull my kid from the school, to be honest. This nanny state crap has gone way too far.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Hear about this in the UK all the time. I get that schools should encourage healthy choices but what about teaching moderation?
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Some days we run out of carrots or apples and I haven't been to the store yet. Sending my kid with SOME food is better than letting her go hungry.
    This was not a regular thing for this mom, so a note was completely unnecessary. If it was ONLY cookies day after day, perhaps a kind note from the school nurse would be better received. Other wise, the school should butt out.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    This is ridiculous. Aside from the Oreo issue, since when is peanut butter not a healthy snack? And wtf is the "If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it." How does that make any sort of sense?

If I ever have kids, I wouldn't take kindly to a school telling me what is healthy for my child.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    People are so dramatic. It would make me so mad if I had a child and they came back home with this note. Mind your effin business, let me the parent worry about what my child eats.
  • adamitri
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Aside from the Oreo issue, since when is peanut butter not a healthy snack? And wtf is the "If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it." How does that make any sort of sense?

If I ever have kids, I wouldn't take kindly to a school telling me what is healthy for my child.

I quirked my head at the potatoes and bread together, why do they have to go together.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    I would of let the kid have the cookies and maybe talk to the mom (by phone or in person) at a later date and explain that the school is trying to promote healthier eating habits and would appreciate it if she would stop packing cookies and instead pack fruit or something....

Not take the cookie away from the kid and give her a note...the kid did nothing wrong....neither did the mom....it's the school's fault for handling the situation so poorly
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Well I'm going to be judgy here and agree that it wasn't a healthy lunch, especially for a toddler. Not instilling good nutrition habits (and mom is obviously overweight) and dealing with toddlers after sugar rush ....not fun. But is it for the school to scold the parent...no.
  • 3bambi3
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Well I'm going to be judgy here and agree that it wasn't a healthy lunch, especially for a toddler. Not instilling good nutrition habits (and mom is obviously overweight) and dealing with toddlers after sugar rush ....not fun. But is it for the school to scold the parent...no.

A sandwich, cheese and a few cookies isn't healthy? Care to explain why?
  • adamitri

Other than the oreos what part of the lunch was unhealthy?
  • 3bambi3
    adamitri wrote: »

Even the Oreos aren't unhealthy if the rest of the child's diet fulfills her nutritional needs.
  • badgermama220
    badgermama220 Posts: 22 Member
    I would flip out. I do not agree with the school's policies at all. As another commenter said - we should be teaching kids moderation.
    Personally, I feel that my dad's restriction on certain junk foods as a child made me have an unhealthy relationship with them. The high sugar content, lack of nutritional value, or whatever he viewed as "unhealthy" in the food was never explained to me... it was simply that we couldn't ever have it.
  • adamitri
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »

Even the Oreos aren't unhealthy if the rest of the child's diet fulfills her nutritional needs.

I agree, it's just that the oreos are up to debate so I wanted to put them to the side.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    didn't sound like there were any vegetables or fruit and no no for the oreos.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    "If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it."

Uhm double starch is a healthier option is it?
  • 3bambi3
    didn't sound like there were any vegetables or fruit and no no for the oreos.

So what? Maybe the child gets her fruit and vegetables for snacks, breakfast and dinner. And, in the context of an overall healthy diet, oreos aren't a "no no."
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    I send a treat in my kids' lunches every day. Usually chocolate chip cookies, a pudding cup or Hershey's kisses (because mommy kisses!). I send a sandwich, chips, and cottage cheese or yogurt, too. I would be ticked if they weren't able to eat their treat.

And peanut butter isn't "healthy" but they should have bread if they are going to have a potato? How does that even make sense?
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    I send a treat in my kids' lunches every day. Usually chocolate chip cookies, a pudding cup or Hershey's kisses (because mommy kisses!). I send a sandwich, chips, and cottage cheese or yogurt, too. I would be ticked if they weren't able to eat their treat.

And peanut butter isn't "healthy" but they should have bread if they are going to have a potato? How does that even make sense?

With peanut butter, they may have a "peanut free" classroom due to allergies in the class. The entire note is phrased poorly.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    I work in a public school and see what gets deemed "healthy." Like the days when the options for breakfast are a Chocolate Chocolate Chip mufgin, or a selection of cereal - Lucky Charms, Trix, or Coco Puffs. But I guess all that sugar is OK, as long as it's the school that is pushing it. SMH.