THE TALL LADY STRUG

Options

Replies

• shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and even after losing over 40 pounds (273 to 231), I'm only just now finding myself between sizes. My US size 18's are falling off my butt and waist, but when I try on US size 16's it's like the muffin top from hell. I think my top size changed more than my pant size, but I haven't bothered to try on new shirts.

In dresses, however, it's a huge change. I can't wear a 3X (and tbh, couldn't really at 273) or even a 2X. Some of my "nicer" dresses have real dress sizes, so I'm at a US size 16 with that, which is nice.

I've been told by those who know I'm losing weight that I look slimmer, but never thinner--and that's pretty accurate. On the bright side, if you're tall and have a large frame, wearing the weight is easier than if you're short :P
  • Change1992
    Change1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I really get this! I'm 5'10 and get really annoyed/feel awkward when my (much shorter) friends talk about how horrible it is to be over x lbs when I was WAY over that. It was almost like they didn't realise how much I actually weighed - but why would they? I think we all get a bit too hung on numbers sometimes - same with clothes sizes.

I was a 16/18 at 200lbs and now am a solid 14 at 167lbs but beginning to make the move into a 12. (UK sizes) I think you know personally what you've lost and waiting around for others to notice is demeaning the work you've done. There's only me and my partner that see me naked and even if he couldn't see the difference, I sure as hell can! He only mentioned it after I'd lost about 20lbs or so?

We're all on the right track so even though it can take more lbs before we get to drop a pants size or get people to notice, we're becoming healthier and I bet you're also feeling more confident whether or not other people notice!

Have a great day all!
  • bigb2001
    bigb2001 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 current weight 199 wanting to get to 155 but not sure how that will look with my frame. I have a large frame so we will see lol. I also go never ending names my fav is Amazon Barbie lol
  • Renee2GetFit
    Renee2GetFit Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and been hanging around 240 for awhile now. I think reading this post is why I find myself becoming discouraged and giving up after working my butt off to lose 10 lbs and can't even tell. I guess I just need to accept that it will take longer to see the results.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure why all of us compare ourselves to each other. I usually do to but reading this post made me realize how ludicrous this is. I'm 5'11.5'' and I highly doubt I have the same body type, bone structure, or fat distribution exactly like anyone else on here. Because guess what WE ARE DIFFERENT!

Don't get excited that someone at 149 was a size 6 jean. You could hit 149 and be a 10, and then find yourself majorly disappointed, feel lied to and put yourself back in the tailspin that brings your weight back up. We are all different. Just find what makes you happy, and be happy in your own body and cheer on others for their successes, but stop comparing.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'10, 135lbs size 4-6 ( usually, I am pregnant right now so am wearing maternity clothes!) But I don't look particularly skinny at that weight. I have big boobs and a bit of a tummy but overall I'm happy with my body.
  • Samanthamill0616
    Samanthamill0616 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I'm 5'9 and my awesome idea was that for every 10 pounds lost I'd buy a new outfit as a reward, but at the end of the day, I don't want a bunch of new size 14 or 16 clothes in my closet. So now I put my money in a jar for the shopping spree I'll have when I finally get to where I want to be. Oh and can I just say my size 11 feet are thinning down faster than anything else. Does anyone else have that problem?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Heh, I'm a shorty here, a lowly 5'8" but yes, nearly 30 gone and I'm sorta down one size?
    On the plus side I rock stilettos.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and after going from 222to 192 have only dropped from size 20 to a 16 and still have some 18's that fit OK. My problem is that I lose weight in my face and chest and carry most of my weight across my hips/butt. When I was in size 20 jeans I could pull off a size 16 dress if it was cut right. I want to get 180. Any lower and I start to look older that my 54 years, I'm hoping for a size 14 pants by then. Thanks for this thread, it really helps to hear from the other tall ladies out there
  • brainleakage
    brainleakage Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hey I'm 5'11" and 28 years old. I can relate to the struggle! I was 198lbs at my highest and wearing size 14. I'm currently 168 and hovering between 10-12. I carry all my weight in my thighs and butt, though, so the pant size is always the last to move. I try to focus on measurements in my upper body because those tend to show the progress faster and earlier. My goal weight is 150, I'm curious to see if the comments others have made here is true, with the 'crazy things' finally happening when you get closer to your goal weight.... I'm with you in the struggle!
  • Sam_Tastic_1
    Sam_Tastic_1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    erojoy wrote: »
    I'm not really sure why all of us compare ourselves to each other. I usually do to but reading this post made me realize how ludicrous this is. I'm 5'11.5'' and I highly doubt I have the same body type, bone structure, or fat distribution exactly like anyone else on here. Because guess what WE ARE DIFFERENT!

Don't get excited that someone at 149 was a size 6 jean. You could hit 149 and be a 10, and then find yourself majorly disappointed, feel lied to and put yourself back in the tailspin that brings your weight back up. We are all different. Just find what makes you happy, and be happy in your own body and cheer on others for their successes, but stop comparing.

❤️❤️ I completely agree. I think that every weight loss journey is different and the grass always looks greener when it's not in your garden. I didn't even think about how often I look at different body types and envy them but it is important to not compare because it can become so disheartening. It is definitely something I need to work on as well!
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    ;) Hopefully we'll all love to learn ourselves the right way.
  • beanerschnitzel
    beanerschnitzel Posts: 75 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LOL!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    erojoy wrote: »

❤️❤️ I completely agree. I think that every weight loss journey is different and the grass always looks greener when it's not in your garden. I didn't even think about how often I look at different body types and envy them but it is important to not compare because it can become so disheartening. It is definitely something I need to work on as well!

I think it is because we have a hard time imagining what our future self might look like. That's what it is for me anyway. I know we won't all be the same. But it gives me the general idea. And that is motivating.
  • thefinest416
    thefinest416 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    5`10 here. I understand the struggle! I am weighing my my heaviest ever right now at 209. I fit in some 14's but mostly 16. Seems like when I'm in the 185-200 range I can wear 14. 165-185 is 12. Under 165 is 10's but I can't get much smaller than that because I have wide hips. My waist gets super tiny but the damn hips keep me from going down any further.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and started at 210 lbs fitting into a tight size 14. After 20 lbs I finally fit into a size 12 and after another 20 lbs I fit into a size 10. I then started lifting heavy and things dramatically changed. I lost another 5 pounds, and comfortably fit into a size 8. I went on a bit of bulk this winter, and now (at the same weight I was a size 8), I'm between a size 4 and 6. I'm beginning to learn that its less about weight and more about body composition.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Two things I have noticed alot on MFP is
    1. How hard everyone is on themselves. Maybe that has something to do with why we are here?
    2. For most people this is a slow and frustrating journey.
    My take away is I need to be nicer to myself and have patience :-) You're doing great. Hang in there.

I need this emblazoned on a plaque somewhere in my apartment. So true, and such a great reminder.

I'm 5'10" and started at 170 wearing a size 14. I lost weight through diet alone, down to 160 and wore a size 12. After a bulk cycle (heavy weights, lotsa food) I got up to 167 and still fit into the 12's. When I cut down to 155 I was wearing 8's. After another bulk, I went all the way back up to 169 and was still fitting into my 8's, which is pretty cool. I'm now hanging out around 164-5 after about 4 weeks in weight-loss mode.

I'm trying to cut down again to 155... It's been slow going this time around.

Any tall girls who love weights, feel free to add me. :smile: Also, anyone who think sweet potatoes and peanut butter is one of the best combinations in the world.
  • robyn_Bbobbin
    robyn_Bbobbin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I'm 6'3" I just hit 20 lb. loss today! Very Happy, but not really noticing it, so I'm going to go get my hair done that will make it all better!
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ugh....tall people problems. I know what you mean I'm 6'00''. It is hard to tell at first. I began in October and was losing weight then alot more rapidly but it took time to be able to notice. I guess my first comment came around Christmas after I'd lost prob 30 something pounds and people began to ask if I had lost weight and that I look great. As of monday, I was 60 lbs down (sw 250 cw 190) and I'm now losing about 1 lb a week but people make comments almost daily. It is because the bigger you are, you'd have less of a percentage of weight loss overall losing 4-5 lbs then you would that same loss if you are smaller. Also, I burn less calories during my day, because face it, carrying around 190 lbs is less work than carrying 250 lbs. I can't compare my progress to anyone else's because I know my 60 lb loss will look way different than a 5'2'' loss.
    <----that's what a 60 lb loss looks like at our size.

On a side note, clothes shopping is super hard at 6' :s
  • touchtoshart
    touchtoshart Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I thought I'd post a few sites where you can shop for tall length clothes, and we could share our clothing secrets! I'm currently obsessed with PZI jeans (although they restock literally once a year) for the longest inseams I have ever seen up to a size 20. Also recently I've been living for forever21+ leggings, because again, ACTUALLY long enough. Where do you guys love to shop?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!