Question for people who regularly do exercises.Has sweating affected the condition of your hair?

Options
13»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Very fine wavy hair here, and with less time with the added exercise, I shower every other day. I also add Argan oil on non-shower days. My hair is in better condition.

When I was on very low calorie diet, my dietitian warned me to watch my protein intake to avoid hair loss. Also needed for hair and nails are calcium, VitaminD, iron, and the B-vitamins.

Like someone else said, healthy hair starts from the inside. Be warned, it will take a few months for your hair to catch up to your improved diet.

Do you have Vega One where you are? It's a shake, and it comes out in some nice flavours. I like the tropical one.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I only experienced hair issues when I was trying to eat a super low fat diet. I now eat healthy fats regularly (avocado and such) and my hair and nails have not looked better.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    As above said I think this is a medical issue or malnutrition... but I did find when I started yanking my hair back very tight into a bun while working out to keep it out my face it thinned due to being pulled so tight everyday.

Just while we're here though does anyone know a way to prevent so much head sweat? I have massive extentions and I can't wash them everyday.. dry shampoo and talc just aren't cutting it.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Very fine wavy hair here, and with less time with the added exercise, I shower every other day. I also add Argan oil on non-shower days. My hair is in better condition.

When I was on very low calorie diet, my dietitian warned me to watch my protein intake to avoid hair loss. Also needed for hair and nails are calcium, VitaminD, iron, and the B-vitamins.

Like someone else said, healthy hair starts from the inside. Be warned, it will take a few months for your hair to catch up to your improved diet.

Do you have Vega One where you are? It's a shake, and it comes out in some nice flavours. I like the tropical one.

I'm probably going to purchase B vitamins when it's in my budget. I just looked up Vega one , it sounds really awesome. Will probably try that out as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Remember that B-vitamins (your daily requirement) is included in a good all-around multivitamin. I'd hate for you to waste your money on a month's worth of B-vitamins only to find out you are deficient in, say, Calcium.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    As above said I think this is a medical issue or malnutrition... but I did find when I started yanking my hair back very tight into a bun while working out to keep it out my face it thinned due to being pulled so tight everyday.

Just while we're here though does anyone know a way to prevent so much head sweat? I have massive extentions and I can't wash them everyday.. dry shampoo and talc just aren't cutting it.

When I had extensions I had to limit my workout days. I would work out the wed, thur, friday. Get my ext washed and set on Saturday. I would dry in between my tracks as much as I could and apply some dry shampoo on the days I worked out, but like you said that doesn't really cut it. Also, the reason I took them out and decided to work on my weight first... lol. Hope that helps a little.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    Remember that B-vitamins (your daily requirement) is included in a good all-around multivitamin. I'd hate for you to waste your money on a month's worth of B-vitamins only to find out you are deficient in, say, Calcium.
    I eat yogurt everyday. Can i still be deficient in Calcium?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I exercise several days a week but have always showered daily. I find my hair is more on the oily side so I don't have that issue really. But that's why I can't exercise over lunch (too sweaty & no time to shower).

Regarding the calcium, I think you need several servings a day to get enough calcium. I forget the actual guidelines but I think it's like 3-5 servings of dairy/calcium per day.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat? I definitely don't think sweat is a factor.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Are you eating enough fat? I definitely don't think sweat is a factor.

I don't really pay attention to how much fat I consume. Maybe you're right.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I sweat pretty freely for a large chunk of every work day as well as in my workouts. Sweating a lot has never affected the condition of my hair other than to require it to be washed regularly. However the quality of my nutrition has had a huge impact.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Don't forget that dietary fat is an essential macro-nutrient..and unfortunately a lot of people are of the impression that dietary fat = getting fat so it is routinely cut very low when people diet...don't do that...lots of bad stuff comes with insufficient dietary fat intake.

It's not all just about vitamins and minerals from fruits and veg...there's more to nutrition than fruit and veg...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    I eat yogurt everyday. Can i still be deficient in Calcium?

yes lol

go look at your reports and pull up calcium. that will tell you.

id stick to an all around multivitamin for women. i love dairy and eat a lot of it (i think) and am always short on it without my vitamin.