How often do you weigh yourself ?

Options
We have a saying in England 'Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves' It basically means if you are careful with the smallest amounts then the large amounts will automatically be taken care of.
I was thinking the same about the sampling rate of taking weight measurements. I think daily is the most appropriate sampling rate. It helps me take into account fluctuations in my weight versus calorie deficit whether that is positive or negative. Over several weeks, a sampling rate of daily helps you see overall trend of a decrease in weight but also how your body changes. A sampling rate of once a week is just too long. There is a danger you could take a weight one week on a daily low and the next week on a daily high. You will not see the trend and it can lead to dissapointment.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday, had a loss every week except one for 6 months now.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Once a month.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Mondays too. No need for daily weigh ins because its not accurate since your weight fluctuates daily.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    How often do we have these threads?
  • MLLeFever
    MLLeFever Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's a personal choice. Personally I weigh myself 2x a day. I skip here and there, but I like seeing the trend. I'm a bit obsessive though, and I pronanly weigh more than most people. . .
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i weigh and log once a week - on friday mornings.

sometimes ill step on the scale throughout the week, but its getting more and more rare for me to do that. When i first started i weighed every day LOL
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Daily.

ncboiler89 wrote: »

Daily.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Daily.

Daily.

hourly
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    29.5 times per lunar cycle
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've been a daily weigher for 3 years now and I keep track of the data on a phone app :)
  • jcrav77
    jcrav77 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I was part of a group at work that required us to weigh daily and now it is a habit. I am not sure if it is a good one.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    A sampling rate of once a week is just too long. There is a danger you could take a weight one week on a daily low and the next week on a daily high. You will not see the trend and it can lead to dissapointment.

I find weighing at the same time of day once a week to be perfect for me. I don't get upset over it anymore than a daily weigher gets upset over daily fluctuations. It is not dangerous to my weight loss or mental health. I stick to my calorie goal regardless of how often I weigh myself and my weight goes down.
    When I tried weighing daily I obsessed too much over the scale number and it was a negative experience for me. You have to find what works for you personally. A lot of people enjoy weighing daily but that doesn't mean it is best for everyone to do.

I take measurements and a photo once a month. I try on my test jeans once a month. Those are also good measures of progress.

• LMS120yesIcan
    LMS120yesIcan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Once a day, first thing in the morning, without clothes. This is the best way for me to get the most accurate reading. Plus I weigh less in the morning.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Love the humour in this thread.

I weigh daily, but in my defence I've only owned a scale for 15 days. The novelty will wear off in time I'm sure.

Or maybe it won't; I like charts/graphs, so the more data points the merrier.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Every Monday.
  • namarc0
    namarc0 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Every three or four days, but I use a weight tracking app (happyscale)that tracks trends instead of actual weight. This way, the occasional off day doesn't effect the overall outlook. I find it much more accurate and I stay much more accountable to myself.
  • zap5
    zap5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    3 times a day, 1 time a day, 1 time a week, doesn't matter how many times you check it. just gotta remember that the number is what it is, and the only thing you can do is continue trying to do what you were doing before. nothing you did before can be undone, so dreading the changes or being scared of the scale is pointless.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of the scale last fall... but with months of solid progress behind me there's no way a blip up here and there would trouble me. I'm up a few hundred grams this morning, but it's no big deal. Zig zags look cool on charts.

The trend is your friend...
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options

often
  • cjam134
    cjam134 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like weighing everyday. I know it fluctuates. I like predicting what it will be based on what I ate the day before, whether it was salty, whether I exercised, whether I pooped. But the fluctuations don't bother me. I can see how it may mess with someone else's head.