Why does alcohol HAVE to be involved in so many adult social situations/activities?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
I've never really understood.

I like to fish, I like to golf, I enjoy sporting events, I like to shoot the breeze with friends and relatives; I don't see why I have to alter my mental facilities to enhance the experience of any of these.

Replies

• shainasb310
    shainasb310 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I feel like my friends make things up to do just so they can get together and drink.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Do people try to get you to drink often?

I personally love to drink and wish I could get away with doing it more but alas I can't afford it calorie wise or wallet wise. I'm always in a better mood with a vodka soda in my hand(s)
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    my friends dont drink for the most part, which works well
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

I don't see why I have to alter my mental facilities to enhance the experience of any of these.

You don't! Do what you need to do!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    No one said you had to drink.

If you're having a party, don't serve anything then.

If you go to one where they are, then don't partake.

That simple.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    bc I can't do it at work when I really need it.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    bc I can't do it at work when I really need it.
    Preeeeeeeeach
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Friends don't make it easy for sure. I got really sick 4 years and gave up drinking as a necessity to stay out of the hospital as much as I could while doctors tried to figure out why I was getting dizzy all the time. Even the. It seemed like everything I was invited to was drinking included and that my refusal to drink there was an over reaction. I use to drink a lot and I was always the first to find an excuse to do it, so I feel like my friends all most judges me when I turn down a shot. Which shouldn't matter since we end up having fun anyways. I understand the frustration, I am now finally getting to a place that I hang out with adult and they not drink. They just had to have kids and our outings are more kids included or double dat night getting away from kids for an hour or two. It does get better you just have to either make new friends on top of the ones you have or wait for some to grow up.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    How do you think most of us were conceived? Alcohol, my friend. Without alcohol, there would be no people. Scientific fact. Plus, it's kind of fun.

^^^Nope!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My friends don't drink much. We do sit around playing half-day-long strategy board games and watching sci-fi. We have a great time and don't miss the alcohol at all. I suppose, however, if someone were to ask us to do typical social activities like dancing and talking with strangers, we'd all want a beer or two (except me who can't drink). Kinda like Raj.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    How do you think most of us were conceived? Alcohol, my friend. Without alcohol, there would be no people. Scientific fact. Plus, it's kind of fun.

True story!

I like to have a slight buzz but I don't like to be drunk. My husband usually makes me be the designated driver all the time for him and our friends so it's a rare occasion when I actually get to drink.

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they think their drunk personality is better than their real personality. I don't know.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Cause it's fun.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't get the drinking either. I mean on occasion (2-3 times a year) I might get one, but my lack of alcohol related interests, like beer pong, has cut my local social circle down to just my husband.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    Perhaps they think their drunk personality is better than their real personality. I don't know.
    Wah wah party poooper
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have a great time no matter what I'm doing and rarely do I choose to drink even if others are.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

I like to fish, I like to golf, I enjoy sporting events, I like to shoot the breeze with friends and relatives; I don't see why I have to alter my mental facilities to enhance the experience of any of these.

You don't have to. I drink so I can tolerate people better.

• velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ What she said
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    If you're having a party, don't serve anything then.
    As an added bonus, you'll never have to host another party.
    Ever again.