Mother shamed for sending her child to school with oreos

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/preschooler-gets-note-about-cookies-in-her-lunch

Who says a small snack of Oreo's is so unhealthy as part of a balanced lunch that included a sandwich and string cheese. Are we taking nutrition in schools too far?

Send Oreo's for every kid in the class. Problem solved.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    shmulyeng wrote: »
    So many things wrong with this article. First of all, the mother wasn't "shamed". The note was respectful and simply stated that the cookies were against the school's policy. The cookies were returned to the mother and the kid could have eaten them at home.
    That being said, what in heaven's name is wrong with a couple of cookies? Granted, I don't eat them and most of us here probably don't, but that's because of a choice we made to lose weight. Nowhere does it mention that this kid was overweight. The lunch was a healthy lunch and there should be nothing wrong with a desert.
    Oh, and what's the deal with the potato and bread?

Except that according to other articles the director of the school said it was not the school's policy to tell parents what kids could and could not eat. (See my previous post up thread for a link)

It looks like a case of an overzealous teacher who thought he /she had more power then they actually did. As a parent I'd be mad too, but going to the media seems like over kill.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Whilst no one should shame a parent we should as a society start to see the growing problem of children's health.
    For me an Oreo or cake or chocolate bar should be a treat for a child not an everyday normal part of lunch.
    If all schools agreed to the same there should be no issues. Children will do what the grown ups tell them to. If the teacher says no sweet things and all the parents abide by it children will eat the sandwich or whatever they are given.
    I actually wish only water was drunk at school not fruit juices.
    We have to get tougher for the sake of our children.
    As a parent we should not run out of a piece of fruit or a carrot.
    The parents who put Oreos etc into their children's lunch packs are making it hard for every other parent to try and make healthy lunches as children will always complain they haven't got it. That's why I wish schools would ban sugary foods completely.

Wow...
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Whilst no one should shame a parent we should as a society start to see the growing problem of children's health.
    For me an Oreo or cake or chocolate bar should be a treat for a child not an everyday normal part of lunch.
    If all schools agreed to the same there should be no issues. Children will do what the grown ups tell them to. If the teacher says no sweet things and all the parents abide by it children will eat the sandwich or whatever they are given.
    I have to get tougher for the sake of my children.
    The parents who put Oreos etc into their children's lunch packs are making it hard for every other parent to try and make healthy lunches as children will always complain they haven't got it. That's why I wish schools would ban sugary foods completely.

^fixed

and what is your definition of healthy?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The only thing that annoys me about this is that it's "news" to begin with. Who gives a crap? My 15 year old daughter gets 2 oreo cookies every single day for lunch, because I believe in dessert. Come at me, bro.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    @3bambi3 It's the ingredients. Check 'em out sometime. You'd be surprised what is in it that are chemicals, additives, dyes, whatever. I'm talking about the things your body can't use or doesn't easily break down. To clarify, just because you can eat it, does not make it food. I hope this cleared up what I meant by that. There is a book you can check out that can explain this in depth! "If It's Not Food...Don't Eat It!" Check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/its-Food-Dont-Eating-Health/dp/097656680X

SUGAR, UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA AND/OR PALM AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN--AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE

So, nothing too surprising in there. What exactly makes it not food?

I'm going to guess it's the Riboflavin.
    I've never trusted Riboflavin. It's a weird word. Say it a few times. RI-bo-FLAY-vin. See? Something's not right there.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've never trusted Riboflavin. It's a weird word. Say it a few times. RI-bo-FLAY-vin. See? Something's not right there.

vitamin b2!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

My 14 year old takes a sandwich, fruit and/or cheese with water every day for lunch. She also takes a couple (2) cookies if she wants sometimes she does sometimes she does not. If that makes your job as a parent harder then you have more problems. My daughter's friends wear $100 jeans and $100 shoes, mine does not. I don't allow those parenting choices to make mine harder or affect our household. We simply do not spent that type of money on jeans or shoes. Mine will also not drive a Lexus or brand new car when she turns 16, others parents give those types of cars to their kids, again mine knows she will get a good affordable used car to drive until she can buy herself the car of her dreams. Why do you allow what goes on in my house to influence your kids so much. Also when you live in my single parent household working full time and raising my kids you get to tell me what I should and should not run out of...how's the view from your perfect parent pedestal? BTW her friends are all "dating" and she is not, don't care what goes on in the neighbors house has no affect on what goes on in ours.

^^Yep thank you for saying what I was thinking! What other people do with their kids should in no way affect how you raise your children. I am also a single mother raising 3 kids working full time and yes there are times I run out of certain foods in my house right before my next paycheck, does not in anyway shape or form make me a bad parent.

• smittybuilt19
    Options
    Those A-holes that try to raise everyone else's children should really start sending some financial support to us despicable lowlife parents. Those little rugrats are expensive...cuttin' in to my drankin' money.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    @3bambi3 It's the ingredients. Check 'em out sometime. You'd be surprised what is in it that are chemicals, additives, dyes, whatever. I'm talking about the things your body can't use or doesn't easily break down. To clarify, just because you can eat it, does not make it food. I hope this cleared up what I meant by that. There is a book you can check out that can explain this in depth! "If It's Not Food...Don't Eat It!" Check it out!

SUGAR, UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA AND/OR PALM AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN--AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE

So, nothing too surprising in there. What exactly makes it not food?

Lol!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I'm ambivalent about this topic. While I think it's nice to have a treat and that parents should not be berated for allowing their child to have a treat, and that a child having a treat is fun to watch because they get so super excited about deliciouses; I honestly would not provide that kind of treat to my child because I knew it was unhealthy. So, other people can do what they want with their kids and I won't judge, but I wouldn't give my kids something I knew wasn't "food", strictly speaking.
    P.S I really don't want to have kids so my opinion almost seriously doesn't even matter. Kind of.

How are Oreos not "food"?

^^This, And I always love the "I don't have kids, and don't want kids, but I'll tell you what I'd totally do with my kids" responses.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    didn't sound like there were any vegetables or fruit and no no for the oreos.

You better be careful. You'll get bashed the same as the mom did, but those who bash you will be "justified???". It seems many people on this site think there aren't more healthy options. But what amazes me is that most people are on this site due to bad dietary habits learned from childhood.

I agree that it isn't the school's right to "bash" a parent but it isn't anyone else's right to bash you for yours. And assuming this child "might" have had fruits and vegetables at another meal is just silly. Considering mom's physical condition, it's highly unlikely.

They imply that the dietary rules were in place at the school. As another poster said, if you don't like it, talk about it or go to another school.

Can you pull a few quotes where people have said that? Don't worry, I'll wait.

I tend to see, and do the same with my kids, the little word called "moderation" and "it's fine as the part of a healthy diet".
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    andycool22 wrote: »

vitamin b2!

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO VITAMIN B1? Nobody ever talks about B1. I think Riboflavin arranged for an "accident" so it could be the first one among the Bs. "Nice place you've got here, Thiamine. Be a shame if anything HAPPENED TO IT."

Farking Riboflavin.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am surprised by this. This is the town I live in. I understand asking parents to send healthy lunches to school. I think the situation could have been handled better by the school.
    It's not like the mother sent only cookies for lunch.
    The child's diet should be between her parent and her pediatrician.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

My 14 year old takes a sandwich, fruit and/or cheese with water every day for lunch. She also takes a couple (2) cookies if she wants sometimes she does sometimes she does not. If that makes your job as a parent harder then you have more problems. My daughter's friends wear $100 jeans and $100 shoes, mine does not. I don't allow those parenting choices to make mine harder or affect our household. We simply do not spent that type of money on jeans or shoes. Mine will also not drive a Lexus or brand new car when she turns 16, others parents give those types of cars to their kids, again mine knows she will get a good affordable used car to drive until she can buy herself the car of her dreams. Why do you allow what goes on in my house to influence your kids so much. Also when you live in my single parent household working full time and raising my kids you get to tell me what I should and should not run out of...how's the view from your perfect parent pedestal? BTW her friends are all "dating" and she is not, don't care what goes on in the neighbors house has no affect on what goes on in ours.

Totally agree with you that what goes on in a neighbours house is totally their own business and not ours. That's sort of my point. The children aren't at home they are at school in a community group. The more lenient the school is the more some parents push those limits. I'm from the UK and some parents literally pile junk into their kids lunches. It truly makes it difficult for other parents to try and make up a reasonable meal. That's why a lot of schools over here are starting to have stricter rules. Some are banning the sweet things as well as fruit juices.
    I apologise for my comment about not running out of things we've all done it. What I really meant was when a parent does run out I wish the child would just go with the sandwich and not have a bag of crisps or Oreo thrown in to compensate on the lack of fruit or yoghurt etc .a child won't starve having one smaller meal. I truly think it's the schools that have to set the rules and then we can abide by them. One of my friends is a primary age teacher and says some of her kids are absolutely crazy in the afternoon. She believes this is due to their lunch as her school does not have any policies regarding lunch. This obviously has an impact on the whole class being taught.
    I'm very far from a perfect parent but do wish the schools would start with at least stronger guidelines. We can then give our kids the treats etc when they get home.
    Luckily we don't have the school clothes issue as all our schools wear uniform. It saves loads of money.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    didn't sound like there were any vegetables or fruit and no no for the oreos.

You better be careful. You'll get bashed the same as the mom did, but those who bash you will be "justified???". It seems many people on this site think there aren't more healthy options. But what amazes me is that most people are on this site due to bad dietary habits learned from childhood.

I agree that it isn't the school's right to "bash" a parent but it isn't anyone else's right to bash you for yours. And assuming this child "might" have had fruits and vegetables at another meal is just silly. Considering mom's physical condition, it's highly unlikely.

They imply that the dietary rules were in place at the school. As another poster said, if you don't like it, talk about it or go to another school.

Can you pull a few quotes where people have said that? Don't worry, I'll wait.

I tend to see, and do the same with my kids, the little word called "moderation" and "it's fine as the part of a healthy diet".

LOL...
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    On the other end of the spectrum, our preschool once sent a note home telling me to include a fruit juice in my child's lunch. Um, no thanks. She actually likes water and it's good for her. The preschool was providing a morning and afternoon snack which wasn't necessarily the healthiest food, so I wanted her lunch to have the best quality possible to balance that out.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    On the other end of the spectrum, our preschool once sent a note home telling me to include a fruit juice in my child's lunch. Um, no thanks. She actually likes water and it's good for her. The preschool was providing a morning and afternoon snack which wasn't necessarily the healthiest food, so I wanted her lunch to have the best quality possible to balance that out.

My daughter's pre-school got after us for my daughter bringing in water and not milk for the mandatory snack time. At that time we already knew milk was causing her issues but we hadn't nailed down the problem yet (later diagnosed with being lactose intolerant by an allergist). Even though I talked to the teacher about not wanting my daughter to have milk, she kept forcing the issue. So we changed schools, problem solved :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Okay, now I'm in.