Cheese

Options

Replies

• bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    bio_fit wrote: »
    Honestly, it's probably just easier if you guys do your own research. Like I said, 'processed cheese' is specific terminology. It doesn't refer to the things you are talking about.

I know exactly what the terminology refers to. You didn't explain it correctly, and then you started wildly moving goal posts.

I'm sorry, I was unaware I moved any goalposts. Can you please show me where I went wrong or where I contradicted myself? I repeatedly defined what 'processed cheese' is, I had hoped that would have been enough.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Just taking a step back here - we do all agree that cheese, in its many forms, is awesome, right??

Yes! Except for the bleu cheeses, obvi.

I'm sorry, I cannot possibly agree with you on that!! But I guess people not liking it leaves more in the world for me :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Just taking a step back here - we do all agree that cheese, in its many forms, is awesome, right??

unless it is processed….

Oh you :p
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    So, I have always referred to kraft singles as processed cheese in the way that I refer to tissues as Klennex. I think that is the point here.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

unless it is processed….

LOL

well according to OP it is bad if it is processed..

I love cheese in all forms….
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's probably just easier if you guys do your own research. Like I said, 'processed cheese' is specific terminology. It doesn't refer to the things you are talking about.

I know exactly what the terminology refers to. You didn't explain it correctly, and then you started wildly moving goal posts.

I'm sorry, I was unaware I moved any goalposts. Can you please show me where I went wrong or where I contradicted myself? I repeatedly defined what 'processed cheese' is, I had hoped that would have been enough.

But you didn't. You just said it was when they added stuff to the cheese. Well, lots of manufacturers add stuff to their cheese. It's the quantity that defines the labels, not the fact of the addition. So, not all cheese with additives is processed cheese product.

Pasteurized process cheese - contains 100% cheese
    Pasteurized process cheese food - contains at least 51% cheese.
    Pasteurized process cheese product - contains less than 51% cheese.
  • ndj1979
    edited May 2015
    Options
    this thread just shows how ridiculous it is to try and label a food as processed and then say it should be avoided because processed is bad...
  • bio_fit
    Options
    this thread just shows how ridiculous it is to try and label a food as processed and then say it should be avoided because processed is bad...

Totally agree with you there.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

unless it is processed….

LOL

I'm trying to think if I've ever met a cheese I flat out didn't like. I mean, there are certainly some I wouldn't choose over others (the sight of Laughing Cow cheese in the supermarket made me shudder for quite some time after it being my main source of protein doing fieldwork in the tropics for a month once), but if it's between cheese and no cheese, cheese wins every time. And that Laughing Cow had its place.
  • 3bambi3
    Options

unless it is processed….

LOL

I'm trying to think if I've ever met a cheese I flat out didn't like. I mean, there are certainly some I wouldn't choose over others (the sight of Laughing Cow cheese in the supermarket made me shudder for quite some time after it being my main source of protein doing fieldwork in the tropics for a month once), but if it's between cheese and no cheese, cheese wins every time. And that Laughing Cow had its place.

I would choose no cheese over Casu Marzu. I would choose pretty much anything over Casu Marzu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu
  • bio_fit
    Options

But you didn't. You just said it was when they added stuff to the cheese. Well, lots of manufacturers add stuff to their cheese. It's the quantity that defines the labels, not the fact of the addition. So, not all cheese with additives is processed cheese product.

Pasteurized process cheese - contains 100% cheese
    Pasteurized process cheese food - contains at least 51% cheese.
    Pasteurized process cheese product - contains less than 51% cheese.

Absolutely. Processed cheese and processed cheese product are not the same thing.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    PEOPLE, no need to turn a beautiful thread about cheese into a debate about processed/not processed... Who cares?
    Just CHEESE.

g09e1tj3r3y7.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options
    PEOPLE, no need to turn a beautiful thread about cheese into a debate about processed/not processed... Who cares?
    Just CHEESE.

g09e1tj3r3y7.jpg

apparently, OP does…

and I am bored waiting for the Patriots to make the 32nd pick in the NFL draft, so I need something to pass the time ...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Really all this thread is doing is reminding me that I need to make a trip to the Dutch shop to buy more cheese. There are only five kinds in my fridge at the moment. That is not enough.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

unless it is processed….

LOL

I would choose no cheese over Casu Marzu. I would choose pretty much anything over Casu Marzu.

Oh, okay. Maybe not that one...
  • bio_fit
    Options
    Just CHEESE.

g09e1tj3r3y7.jpg

apparently, OP does…

and I am bored waiting for the Patriots to make the 32nd pick in the NFL draft, so I need something to pass the time ...

Bahaha... Yeh, I'm really taking procrastination to the extreme today...

• 3bambi3
    Options

unless it is processed….

LOL

Yeah. My cheese googling led me down a dark path.

Image-257.png
  • bio_fit
    Options
    Anyway. I'm going to bow out. Maybe I wasn't specific enough in describing exactly which ingredients are added (I started to write it out, but I didn't think the debate would get so detailed... more fool me :p ), but I'm sure we can all agree that 'processed cheese' is a specific thing, and although all cheese is processed, it is not all 'processed cheese'. And processed cheese is not a bad thing, but some people prefer to avoid it.
  • bio_fit
    Options
    At least, I hope we can agree :p
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

unless it is processed….

LOL

Yeah. My cheese googling led me down a dark path.

Image-257.png

Aw, cute sad Maasdam!!

Mmmmm, Maasdam...(my main reason for needing to get to the Dutch shop, though I will inevitably leave with more than just that).