I want to run but it hurts...

Options
2»

Replies

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Congrats on begging to run. I love to run, but running does not like my body at all. I suffer from chronic shin splints, have had tendonitis a couple of times and a stress fracture so I'm warning you on not doing too much too soon.

That being said running can be so rewarding. I agree with everyone on the shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted. You don't have to buy the shoes there but they can direct you to the best kind of shoes you need. Then shop deals online like Amazon, Ebay or 6pm.com, etc. to get them cheaper. The Mizunos' in my profile pic are a $120 shoe that I got on Amazon for $59 a short time ago.

Also, as much as I hate to suggest it, try running on a treadmill. It's boring as all get out, especially when it's getting nice outside, but treadmills are more shock absorbing so they are easier on your body. I hate running on the dreadmill but my body appreciates it. Start a Couch to 5K plan and have fun with it.

Good luck on your running.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist make me some special insoles moulded to my feet that gave proper support and I noticed it was so much better. Luckily she only charged me £40 for these.

When you could have gone out and bought cushioned running shoes with arch support for not much more than that...

I think you’re missing out on the value of having a professional assessment and fit for what you’re getting.

Not particularly. Physios seem to default to adding something to a shoe, rather than identifying a shoe in the market that's suitable. So worst of both worlds since the insert affects the shoe dynamics and the shoe selected to put the insert in may not be the right one.

High arch, with the need for arch support indicates supination, so a cushioned shoe is more likely to be the answer. Regardless of whether my assessment of cushioned shoe or motion control shoe is right, it still needn't be much more expensive than £40 to go and just get the right shoe.

I have high arch, so again, getting assessed is not a waste. I agree that there is likely a shoe that works best without the need of an insert. I don’t have experience with inserts, but do know a good shoe (type and fit) is important for injury reduction (along with a program to work on muscle imbalances).
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. A few weeks ago when I was on a fitness binge (unfortunately it's fizzled away now...) I was running, and I felt really good! But I had to stop because it was hurting my feet and my knees too much! I was making sure that I stretched before and after but still, the pain in my knees and feet was unbearable. I'm very flat footed- i wonder if this could be why? I know buying some expensive shoes would probably help, but unfortunately I'm a poor nursing student and can't really afford anything too expensive. I really want to start again so any advice would be much appreciated.

Technique is a big deal too. If you are having foot and knee pain I'm guessing you are a heel striker (you land on your heel when you run) which is not at all a good thing. Ideally you'd be landing on your midfoot or the ball of your foot, and this is something you can fix with some effort on your part.

I'll add that there is literally NO scientific research that shows that modern running shoes, even properly fitted, do anything to help improve your running or reduce injury. Just the opposite, in fact. Running injuries have escalated pretty much in lock step with the growth of the industry.

The US Army did a big study on this. http://www.army.mil/article/42842/

Two good books on the topic of minimalist running/good running form are The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton and Kelly Starrett's Ready to Run. Both have a lot of drills and mobility exercises to help ensure you can run the right way and help reduce some of the issues you are having.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Lots of great comments and support.
    The right shoes needn't be expensive, but they will pay dividends. Certainly lower cost than physio consultations.
    There are other potential causes; doing too much too soon, running form, trying to go too fast before you're ready.

As a new runner I'd suggest some form of structured plan that'll help you avoid overuse. The NHS podcasts for the Couch to 5K plan do give some coaching guidance; http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Good Shoes and a structured plan so you don't over stress your body.

Here are a few links to related discussions that may provide additional guidance/support.

The Couch to 5K group here in MFP. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/976388/what-to-do-before-you-start/p1

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/begin-your-running-journey-in-5-easy-steps/

http://www.runnersworld.com/training/getting-started

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104733/girls-essentials-for-running/p1

Happy Feet = Happy Body = Happy Soul.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'd also add let the shoe store know your situation and that your on a budget. Many times they will work with you to try to find something that fits, but it is one sale. I think a lot of models are going to be updated soon, so you can save a lot of money when they are clearing out last year's stock. A lot of times the differences are minimal...
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Just mirroring the comments above. You can get good shoes for cheap - look for clearance deals, seasonal sales, bogo sales, etc. Start slow - I personally did not realize how much I had to slow down to run a mile until I actually used C25K and tried running a mile. Getting fitted for shoes and getting a gait analysis is helpful, but can also get you into more expensive shoes. You can not do that and leave it trial and error, but it will mean buying shoes more often and maybe dealing with different aches and pains until you get everything dialed in and figure out what kind of shoes are best for you. I'd also recommend focusing on good form from the beginning. Watch lots of YouTube videos and read lots of articles on things like Chi Running and Forefoot Running. It will take a lot of pressure off of your knees. Your feet just have to get tougher, but it will come with a little time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just over did it honestly. I would step back and try Cough to 5K and or a walk to run program and SLOW DOWN.

Most people do exactly what you do- "binge" when they get all motivated- over do it and can't cope. Slow down- take rest days. No reason to get it all done the first week- you've got the whole rest of your life do to this stuff.
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This article sums it up very well, although you don't have to buy multiple pairs like they say:

webmd.com/fitness-exercise/how-to-buy-running-shoes-tips-to-treat-your-feet-right

The most important points are:
    1- Determine your arch height (flat, medium or high), which you can determine by leaving a wet footprint on a dry surface
    2- Know whether you pronate (roll to the inside of the foot), supinate (roll to the outside of the foot) or remain pretty neutral when you run
    3- Bring your old shoes (you don't have to have run in them) to determine where they are worn out; this will determine answer where you step down first (front, back, inside, outside...) and it answers point #2.

A good running store will do those tests for you and recommend the right shoes.

You can also find a good online version of the tests here: runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor You might find their recommendations are pricy, but it gives a decent assessment.

Buying the right shoe is really worth it, il will save you from injuries and you'll enjoy your runs a lot more. You can also find older models on ebay for a good price (buy them new, of course...)
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I suffered with extremely painful knees when I was running at the end of last year. Literally my jeans touching my knee would hurt like hell, I didn't know what to do with myself. I saved some money and went and got fitted for some running trainers, I have never looked back. The guy in the shop spent over 45 minutes with me, I had a gait analysis done and I was recorded running on a treadmill. It turns out I had a massive problem with one of my ankles so I need a trainer with major support. I haven't looked back, I have absolutely no pain now.

If you want to continue running then I would definitely recommend getting yourself fitted for running trainers, it'll be the best thing you do :smiley: