I hate men....

Options

Replies

• LaTuFu
    LaTuFu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OP, what are you eating as part of your caloric intake? It sounds like you're eating a lot of veggies, fruits, and most of your calories are carbs, if I had to guess. Is that about right?
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    faidwen wrote: »
    Whaaaaa I wish this was me. I eat sub 1500, but I am HAPPY!

Me, too. OP, enjoy your 1800 calories!!!
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    OP I feel your pain, as a 5' 0" woman over 40 I have a very low calorie allowance too. Meanwhile my slim teenage sons are human dustbins who devour all that gets in their way and have waists slimmer than mine! NOT FAIR!

My husband is also overweight, and to be fair he is trying to cut down on excess calories (mainly beer!), he's 6' and fairly fit (he cycles a lot and has tree trunks for legs). We compare calorie burns when we've been out walking or cycling together his is always about double mine - so he gets to eat double too.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not the thread I thought it'd be ;)

We want women to look skinny (which you can do by losing weight, right?) but we want men to have well-defined muscles (little bit more work). I'm not saying women shouldn't have muscles (I just started lifting!), but I think there's more pressure on men to have the physique, so I don't mind so much that they can have some extra calories o:)

Just my opinion
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Well. I'd like to eat an entire large deep dish pizza everyday for lunch in addition to my other meals for the day, but my energy requirements don't come anywhere close to justifying it.

As my father would say in response to me: "Yup. People in hell want ice water."
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    my question is how come you are all hungry? seriously?

being hungry is not a good thing.
    Hunger has a psychological as well as a physical component. I am hungry all the time at home. If I go out and do something, anything, the hunger abates. Some people think that hunger is a sign of not eating enough. Not always.

• demonwithahalo
    demonwithahalo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend loses weight really quickly and builds muscle like it ain't no thang as long as he's lifting on a regular basis. The funny thing is that he has a desk job, and I'm a server who uses her bike as transportation, much more active overall. He also has this lack of hunger that blows my mind, he can come home from work and tell me he's had one yogurt container for the day because he forgot to eat! I am glad that I eat more than that, and I typically gripe at him to eat more frequently, but I know I would NEVER forget to eat! Ha!
  • Bacardibarker
    Bacardibarker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wanna be man too. My OH has started to eat more healthy and does the odd walk He's lost over a stone in weight and his clothes fall off him.
    I exercise for 4hrs three times a week and try to limit myself for 1500 cals a day AND still struggle to lose weight. :s
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    yes!! my OH can eat over 3000 calories a day - he's 6'4 and mega-athletic. I get so jealous - plus it's just extra temptation isn't it!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    OP, I totally understand. I am 4'11 and only get 1270 calories for a HALF lb loss. I can usually increase this by 200-350 calories through exercise, but still it is a small amount of food! I'm jealous of not just men, but anyone tall who can include a couple glasses of wine with their dinner and stay within budget :)

BUT I will say that I've noticed that eating smaller meals means I rarely have that really full, bloated, gross feeling. For the most part, I really don't want to eat more than 300-400 calories in a sitting because then I'll just feel awful, so I try to remember that. So even if I managed to score an extra 1000 calories through exercise, I probably still wouldn't want to eat much more because I'll have digestive issues, and that's just not fun.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Ha! I totally get you. My nephews can just eat whatever they want even without much exercise and not gain anything.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's like people who start off wealthy. They have an advantage and can blow money (calories) that we can't, so it's easy to be jealous of them. I don't hate wealthier people or men, but I still shake my head when my brother downs an entire pizza and still looks like Shaggy while I'm struggling to fit one piece into my macros.

On the flip side, that makes them less prepared if they do have to struggle with their metabolisms. How many guys do you know, after a knee injury and growing older, went from being naturally fit to significantly overweight? Even though they can still eat more than we can, they're not used to having to control it. And what's more, some have been culturally conditioned to thinking that "eating rabbit food is for girls".

There are pros and cons to both sides. Still jealous of you guys when we go out to eat, though. :p
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There is a similar thread in eat train progress group by a smaller women in her late 40s who was having difficulty losing and maintaining and ravenous all the time. Eventually she went to her doctor and found out she was severly vitamin D deficient and her hunger went away with supplementation.her physician said hunger is a symptom of d deficiency. Since a large number of adults in North America are vitamin d deficient (for example 1/3 of adult Canadians, 20% of Australians and up to 80% of Americans of African descent)...it could not be harmful to look into it unless insurance won't cover or you can't afford the blood test then there would be financial toxicity associated with it :). I just supplement on the assumption that I'm probably deficient and it helped my hunger too - could be placebo but I'm not sure I care as long as it works.
  • Freidon
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if I started a thread saying 'I Hate Women?'. I'm sure it would rightfully get pulled. So why is this title acceptable?

It's not. But it's effective click bait, considering the number of people on here. And unfortunately, the stereotypical perception of "I hate men" is a bunch of wives shaking their head over what their husbands do, while the stereotypical "I hate women" forum is assumed to be serious, and therefore draws an angry mob.

Not justifying it. Just explaining it.
  • Freidon
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    my question is how come you are all hungry? seriously?

being hungry is not a good thing.

It's not. But my stomach size and appetite far outweigh what I actually burn on an average day. That's why I consume as much protein and caffeine as I can, and resist sugar. The former suppresses my appetite, the latter, even in fruit form, induces cravings.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in cuz....why not?! I'm 5'2" and my husband is 6' and I'll be honest that I don't really struggle with the fact that he can (and should!) eat more than me (although the "it's not fair he can eat a candy bar and I can't" feelings do sometimes factor in) as much as the fact that he doesn't understand that he can and should eat more than me. He wants to share everything 50/50, to the point where he gets suspicious that I might have given him the bigger 1/2. If he's hungry but I say I don't want anything, then he'll say he won't eat if I won't eat. So frustrating!!!! I don't want him to starve but I also don't want to blow up like a blimp! =P

On the "it's not fair" note, I don't think tall people do really understand (based on the comments here). Yes, a tall person does still feel hungry eating at a deficit, but eating is only partially about hunger....it's also about taste and you do get a lot more tastes of different types of things than we do (while staying on track). :wink:

Last thought, it is also frustrating when you taller folks give weight loss advice to us smaller folks. It is different! We're working with much smaller margins. So, for example, when a poster above said to cut out a sugary drink/day....well....I can't remember the last time I had a sugary drink. Likewise, when my husband tells me I should follow his (incredibly unhealthy and for me likely ineffective diet plan of eating pickles all day followed by a big but healthy dinner, which would end up more calories than I eat now) because he lost 20 lbs in a month doing it and then I'd be done with this whole diet thing.....well, that's not helpful! There's no way I would ever lose 20 lbs in a month! And then, it just feels (yes those pesky feelings again!) like you're not doing a "good enough" job because you're not achieving the same results.

Sorry for the super long post! Guess this one hit a nerve. lol In sum, we just all need to learn to understand each other better. Either that, or just but out! :wink:
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Why did OP get flagged? That was not right. Legitimate topic here. Men are genetically blessed to eat more and weigh less as the usual norm. I think if she wants some empathy she should have some. Sorry you got flagged OP-Its wasn't me tho
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Ju
    On the "it's not fair" note, I don't think tall people do really understand (based on the comments here). Yes, a tall person does still feel hungry eating at a deficit, but eating is only partially about hunger....it's also about taste and you do get a lot more tastes of different types of things than we do (while staying on track). :wink:

YES. Really good point. I'm here because for years my eyes wanted more food than my stomach needed. I don't NEED as much as my taller friends, but that doesn't mean I don't WANT to taste more throughout the day.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    LaTuFu wrote: »
    OP, what are you eating as part of your caloric intake? It sounds like you're eating a lot of veggies, fruits, and most of your calories are carbs, if I had to guess. Is that about right?

Check out my diary, which is open. Yesterday was a lighter day on protein, but I would say my macros are pretty balanced for the most part.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Ju

YES. Really good point. I'm here because for years my eyes wanted more food than my stomach needed. I don't NEED as much as my taller friends, but that doesn't mean I don't WANT to taste more throughout the day.

Yes, and this also applies to eating out. It's harder to be social and work in a glass of wine or a meal with friends (when you can't control exactly how much oil went into the meal, etc.). My husband can afford to have a meal out without having to starve (as in not eat anything else) for the rest of the day. For example, a typical "healthier"/moderate-sized restaurant entree (think: a lightly dressed salad with salmon or chicken with rice and veggies) has 700-1000 calories (there's butter hidden everywhere!); add a glass of wine for about 150 calories and there's your 1200 calories for the day! Spent on one meal...... If I know we're going out for dinner, I'll only eat lettuce (or spinach) with tuna on it because that will help stave off the hangry until I get to eat (typically about 7ish pm.....a long time to wait through a whole work day, getting up at 7 am!).