heart rate monitor/iwatch

Options
aklick
aklick Posts: 6 Member
I have the iwatch and it monitors my heartrate thus giving me a more accurate calorie burn for my work outs.

MFP syncs up with my iwatch just fine and is tracking the steps however when I go to enter my work out MFP makes a negative adjustment. I understand that MFP is using it's own calculations plus how many steps I take to determine my calories burned but I"m confused as to why I'm not allowed to enter any other work outs with out a negative adjustment being made.

I could turn off the "allow negative adjustments" feature but should I have to?

Frankly at this point i"m finding MFP a bit de-motivational and I"m tempted to just scrap MFP and use my iwatch to motivate me to work out.

Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar f7. It has a chest strap and I only use it to calculate cals burned for workouts. I feel it is more accurate than what MFP which always gives me credit for way more cals then my Polar. So when I enter my workouts on MFP I adjust the time until the cals burned = what the Polar qives me credit for. And now I almost never eat the exercise cals back. This is working well for me as I lost about 4 lbs this past month. I think MFP is a great site to help track and log calories. I would not dump it if that part is working for you.

Just adjust your workout times to match your HR monitor and you should be fine.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    aklick wrote: »
    I have the iwatch and it monitors my heartrate thus giving me a more accurate calorie burn for my work outs.

How do you know the Apple Watch is giving you a more accurate calorie "out" value?

• cvpastore
    cvpastore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar f7. It has a chest strap and I only use it to calculate cals burned for workouts. I feel it is more accurate than what MFP which always gives me credit for way more cals then my Polar. So when I enter my workouts on MFP I adjust the time until the cals burned = what the Polar qives me credit for. And now I almost never eat the exercise cals back. This is working well for me as I lost about 4 lbs this past month. I think MFP is a great site to help track and log calories. I would not dump it if that part is working for you.

I just picked up the Polar HRM and agree that my calories burned in 35 min of exercise is about 100 less than what MPF gives me. Do you sinc your polar watch to MPF or just manually adjust the exercise until you get the right # of calories.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    cvpastore wrote: »

I just picked up the Polar HRM and agree that my calories burned in 35 min of exercise is about 100 less than what MPF gives me. Do you sinc your polar watch to MPF or just manually adjust the exercise until you get the right # of calories.

Yes I just adjust the time down until the MFP cals = what the Polar gives me credit for. Both are estimates but I think the Polar has a lot more info to calculate cal burn then does MFP. I'm not sure if it's possible to sinc the Polar data to MFP, I guess I could look into it. But adjusting the time down works.

• lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've used a Polar F7 for several years now and love it! It keeps track of my exercise minutes daily/weekly. It keeps track of the calories I burn daily/weekly. It lets me know when I need to slow down so that my heart rate isn't too high, and when I need to bring it up so that I'm in my heart rate zone. It has other features too. The F7 has always been more accurate for me than anything else from exercise equipment to even MFP. There are many options out there, but I would look into Polar. They have a variety of monitors to choose from and are one of the most accurate heart rate monitors out there.
  • aklick
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    aklick wrote: »

How do you know the Apple Watch is giving you a more accurate calorie "out" value?

Because it monitors my heart rate like a heart rate monitor.....thus more accurate evaluation of calorie burn
  • aklick
    Options
    ok so maybe I didn't explain myself correctly:

yesterday for example: MFP had estimated that I'd burn 1481 calories but after taking into consideration the steps it gets from my watch it had to add 83 calories (because according to the MFP IOS I had burned 1564)

Now let's say I had done the 30 day shred that day. let's say I burned 100 calories during that work out (which remember I feel is accurate because my watch doubles as a heart monitor since it monitors my heartbeat all day long)

If I log the 100 calories under "exercise" in MFP it would add the 100 but then change the 83 to negative 17 thus bringing the number back to 83 rather then a positive of 83 plus the 100 I burned.

I could avoid this by turning off the "allow negative adjustments" in MFP but I shouldn't have to. I should be able to log my work out.

For now since I have determined that MFP is regularly having to give me positive adjustments and not negative ones I"ll uncheck the box for "allow negative adjustments" .... but again I should be able to log my work out with out a negative adjustment being made.

I hope that clears anything up.

As for people recommending other devices I"m not interested. I appreciate the advise and maybe others on this thread can take advantage of that advise but I'm happy with my watch.

I've been emailing MFP so I'll probably just email them with my concern although I'm curious if anyone here has run into this problem before.

Thanks,