should overweight people run?

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had sore muscles in all the same areas you described when I was new to running, and that was simply due to building up muscles. I was always surprised at what new parts of my body would get sore that I never thought would be used by running, but running engages basically your whole body (some parts less than others). Knee pain, if it is affecting your movement, is something you should rest until it feels better, then try again. It too needs to build strength (unless you have an old injury and maybe a cartilage build up from it).

I am more than just overweight and running, I am technically OBESE and running (per BMI which is 30.2). I started walking when I was 100 pounds overweight and then started running 3 months later at about 75 pounds overweight. It can be done, obviously.

Even more so, despite my still being at the border between overweight and obese, I have become a better and stronger runner while not losing weight the last few months, which is due to a focus on building strength in my weak areas like core, glutes, hips, and even legs (I don't think you can EVER have too muscular of legs for running). So while you don't WANT to carry around extra weight while running, it does not have to be a bad thing. If you are swapping out fat pounds for muscle pounds, you are still the same weight but are going to have fewer risks when running.

My advice (similar to others) is make sure you have GOOD SHOES. Go to a running store and tell them your concerns about weight and running, and have them analyze your gait and maybe even the wear on your old shoes. There is probably no other thing you can ever do in your running history that is ever more beneficial long term than getting good shoes. It is all about the feet hitting the road, so that is the #1 top priority and where money should always first be spent.

Also, moving your body in any way, putting more stress on it has two sides of the coin. Sure, you do increase your risk of injury (because you are now doing something that could lead to injury as opposed to doing nothing before), but at the same time those activities will strengthen your muscles, ligaments and bones making you more RESISTANT to injuries in the future.

I say go for it. Go easy though, start slow so you don't injure yourself. Incorporate some strength exercises, particularly regimens targeted for runners, and get some regular running in. Start with some short runs every other day (or 2/week if time is an issue) but do it regularly. You will find yourself upping your distance and find you are less winded a lot faster than you may imagine. You wil also notice a lot of common aches and pains disappearing too as you build strength.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    ...the impact on your knees which running will do.

Nonsense

running will impact your knees, it can't not. foot hits ground, shock goes through bones and knees. yes, it's a similar impact that walking will do except faster. All of which can be alleviated by strengthening - hence the suggestion that a different form of exercise may be appropriate until that strengthened point is reached.

If a sport hurts, you should do an activity that DOESN'T hurt. That may be doing the same activity in a different way but it may be something else entirely. The OP doesn't sound like they are desperate just to run - they are doing it because it's the 'thing'. Well there are other 'thing's out there too that may be as good and may be more beneficial at this point.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    walk/jog/run do what you can just get out and do it

29509743.png
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Nonsense

running will impact your knees, it can't not. foot hits ground, shock goes through bones and knees.

And the musculo-skeletal system absorbs shock loading. There are a number of issues about how one lands that may influence how that shock loading is absorbed in the system, and these can be mitigated as well.

Again, it's not inherently bad

fwiw my cross training is on a road bike and mountain bike, both complementary to running, but equally in certain circumstances both can exacerbate knee issues caused by running. In particularly Iliotibial Band Syndrome, Runners knee, can be caused by cycling.
    If a sport hurts, you should do an activity that DOESN'T hurt.

Or, understand the cause of the pain and mitigate it. That may involve gear, shoes, it may involve working on form, it may involve something else.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    nik_nak_83 wrote: »
    running I the 'thing' to be seen doing right?
    So you're running for the benefit to be 'seen'? I don't get it.

Should overweight people run? If they enjoy it, yes. Otherwise, find something you like/love to do. But don't do it for some nonsensical status thing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    nik_nak_83 wrote: »
    I do swimming twice a week and can happily smash out a mile in the pool, but I wanted to add something in the fresh air (and free!). Like you I wonder at what cost to my body (in its current state) is this run? Three people I work with all avid runners have foot and knee injuries inflicted by pounding pavement...

If it hurts, perhaps walk for now and if you really want to run after you have lost some weight, try again. There is no magic in running over other cardio. Do what you enjoy and works best for your body. I have lost 104 lb so far and I do not run, I walk and hike.

Anecdotal evidence: my 61 year old brother and his 60 year old wife hiked to Machu Picchu with a bunch of their friends and several young adult kids. The runners in the group, many of whom have had knees replaced, had a real hard time with both the elevation and the incline and one had to be carried part of the way by a porter. All of the walkers and bikers (none of whom have had joints replaced) made it to the top quite easily.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Nonsense

running will impact your knees, it can't not. foot hits ground, shock goes through bones and knees. yes, it's a similar impact that walking will do except faster. All of which can be alleviated by strengthening - hence the suggestion that a different form of exercise may be appropriate until that strengthened point is reached.

If a sport hurts, you should do an activity that DOESN'T hurt. That may be doing the same activity in a different way but it may be something else entirely. The OP doesn't sound like they are desperate just to run - they are doing it because it's the 'thing'. Well there are other 'thing's out there too that may be as good and may be more beneficial at this point.

It really depends on the type of pain and issues.

Transient soreness, even swelling might be due to underuse and will be best alleviated by recovery and continued exploration plus strengthening.
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Nonsense

The OP said running hurts their knees. And back & hips. Presumably that's from impact.

My response was to the categoric assertion that running impact is a bad thing (tm)

My prior posts highlight that back and hip pain is most likely to be strength related, and mitigated by resistance training. As in the combined plan that I've linked to. Similarly knee pain could be strength related, could be form related.

Essentially running isn't inherently bad, especially if one is only marginally overweight.

Agreed.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Eveyone without health problems CAN run after some preparation, no one SHOULD run to lose weight or for whatever reason. You should do some cardio and if you choose running, awesome, but no exercise should hurt. And no exercise should be done because everyone else is doign it. If it hurts (not just sore muscles laters) then somethign is wrong. Take a break, and then start again with walking. If walking the same distance causes pain, maybe it is time to see a dr to figure out if there is some health issue not known to you yet. Otherwise, gradually add slow running intervals to your walking, and be patient, it will take time to be able to run for more than a few minutes if you are just starting. And make sure you have proper shoes. If slow running with good shoes still hurts, even when doen in intervals of a few minutes max in the beginning, again time to see a dr.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If your knees are hurting, try power walking instead. It can be just as effective for your cardiovascular health and burning calories with much lower impact. And, if you want to run eventually, it's a good place to start.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Nonsense

running will impact your knees, it can't not. foot hits ground, shock goes through bones and knees.

And the musculo-skeletal system absorbs shock loading. There are a number of issues about how on lands that may influence how that shock loading is absorbed in the system, and these can be mitigated as well.

Again, it's not inherently bad

fwiw my cross training is on a road bike and mountain bike, both complementary to running, but equally in certain circumstances both can exacerbate knee issues caused by running. In particularly Iliotibial Band Syndrome, Runners knee, can be caused by cycling.
    If a sport hurts, you should do an activity that DOESN'T hurt.

Or, understand the cause of the pain and mitigate it. That may involve gear, shoes, it may involve working on form, it may involve something else.

The thing I find interesting is that your final statements here are exactly what I was talking about.

I did not categorically state that running was bad. I said it can be bad, which is true. I did not go and look at the OP's profile, which is why I said it can be bad if you are exceptionally overweight. It's a fact that someone who is exceptionally overweight can do more harm than good attempting to run after being sedentary, due to strength, joint stability and sheer weight bearing overload issues.

Note my points about strengthening the thighs, the core, and getting proper shoes if you opt to run. I did not tell the OP not to run.

From a CV perspective, there are definitely pros and cons but overall, running has not been overwhelmingly proven to have significantly more positive long-term effects than other CV workouts. My point was that the OP says that's what want to be seen doing and the reality is, if the only reason you're running is to be seen doing it, and you don't like it and you feel cruddy doing it, there are plenty of equally, if not more, effective ways to get CV exercise that might be more enjoyable.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You probably have tight hip flexors, hamstringss and IT bands if you are having pain in your hips, back and knees. If you sit at your job, you probably have weak hips, I know I did.

I have been jogging for 4 months now and have gone from 10 minutes at a time jogging, to an hour now. My best friend is my foam roller. If you want to incorporate running, it would be a good idea to roll out those areas, along with your calves to loosen everything up. It has made a huge difference in how I feel.

Also make sure to only make gradual changes and don't do too much too soon.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Strength train. Practice form. Build endurance.
    • Start your cardio on an elliptical. (Not holding the handles can help with the core. Elliptical can help leg strength.)
    • Lunge, squat and calf raise for leg (and core) strength.

Once you get a good base learn to run.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No one that is unfit should start a rigorous physical activity without consulting with their doctor first. If your doctor says you can run, go for it!

Walking is an excellent exercise without the impact of running.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Try walking at a brisk pace instead of running. Keeping your heart rate elevated but not TOO elevated is the key to burning fat. Also, you need to closely monitor your diet to make sure you aren't eating back all the calories you're burning.

I've found that cycling is the fastest way to get lean and it doesn't hurt your body as badly as running. Plus it's just more fun, IMO. :wink:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    bfc70 wrote: »
    Running does seem to be the thing to be seen doing, but at what cost. Is there another exercise you might prefer doing?

It's not a "thing to be seen doing". Running is also not a cure-all or appropriate for everyone, but from the number of positive stories and outcomes you can find here on MFP, clearly running is an activity that a great many overweight people have used with tremendous results.

Running is an exercise that you can scale up or down in intensity and duration and can do from practically anywhere on the planet with minimal up front expense. You need a good pair of shoes as a must and that's about it to start.

Since I started running in September 2014 I've worked off 24.4kg (54 pounds) which represents more than half-way to my goal weight.

I have every expectation I'll be at my goal weight by my birthday in September and that was the ultimate goal I set myself last fall. Back then I honestly didn't know if it was achievable but since January I've come to appreciate my goal is in fact within my reach. Running will have played a major role, no, a starring role, in getting me there.

mw-loss-series-to-May2015-1024px.jpg

While I love cycling and cycle touring I have not found that cycling worked well for me due to seasonality. I'd tend to put the bike away when fall rains start and not really get on it again until April. What I love about running is it is cheap, can be done year round where I live (ice on surfaces is infrequent, major rain is very frequent), and I get more aerobic bang per hour of running than I tend to get from cycling.

I also love cycling and in prior years I had tried to use regular 50K rides at a decent clip to get back into shape. This helped but for the time invested had no where near the impact that running has had for me. I also tend not to ride distance in the rain. Running I can do year round, rain or shine, where I live. Running is a low or no roadblock do-anywhere cost-is-low activity. Perfect for a get-fit campaign.

For some running won't be an option but if you aren't your own physician, don't rely on your own thoughts on the matter; get checked out by your doc and get their input or attend a sports medicine clinic.

In my case I've always been fairly healthy (but increasingly unfit). I went from a fit runner dad to a completely unfit sedentary fat dad. I did not then nor do I now have knee problems. I do suffer from lower back pain which is only truly problematic when... I *don't run*.

Your aerobic / cardio pulmonary function will improve dramatically over the months if you put effort into it. My resting heart rate has dropped from 80 to 47-50. My blood pressure, which had been good for years but was just starting to climb last year (one of my "aha" moments) is again more like a healthy 30 year old's BP now. I can push a run really hard (but don't all that often as it is not necessary) and recover quickly now; had I tried that last fall I'd have puked or collapsed.

Improved fitness will serve you well for everything else you choose to tackle.
  • kayleygrav
    kayleygrav Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend strength and weights in addition to the running. Running will shed the pounds but your skin and tone will be weak. Strengthen your body at the same time. It may take longer to see the scale drop cause you will be gaining muscle but you will be happier with your results. :)
    Best of luck.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Pfft I'm properly obese (BMI 33) and I run.

http://toofattorun.co.uk/

Run if you want. Good shoes, good bra, *kitten* the haters.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    kayleygrav wrote: »
    I would definitely recommend strength and weights in addition to the running. Running will shed the pounds but your skin and tone will be weak. Strengthen your body at the same time. It may take longer to see the scale drop cause you will be gaining muscle but you will be happier with your results. :)
    Best of luck.

Calorie deficits shed the pounds, not the running. It's just that folks who take up running or any regular high output form of energy are more likely not to replace 100% of the calories they burn. Taking on a regular fitness program of any sort likely also comes with other positive behaviour changes like renewed focus on what is in our daily diets, progress monitoring, and so on.

As for muscle, I guarantee running builds muscle but we don't want to be lopsided runners so I definitely agree with you that filling in the gaps with other training is important. I'm doing body weight work at home but have promised myself to hit the gym once in awhile if home renos aren't filling the need sufficiently.
  • b_magill
    b_magill Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm an LMT and see a lot of people who injure themselves running. I'm not saying all running is bad or that all runners are idiots, or anything like that. But PLEASE, please, please make sure you start slow and make proper form a priority. A knee surgery is going to set you back a heck of a lot further than not running will, KWIM?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor: No, because it will bash up your joints and possibly give you stress fractures. Go for low impact or no impact.