Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day?

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    You have to measure everything very carefully no matter what your goal calories are.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day? I was eating 1200 calories a day but my body was holding onto the weight because I was under eating. So now im trying to eat 1600 calories a day instead. I would love your advice and experiences. Thanks. :-)

Your body was not holding on to weight because you were eating too few calories because that doesn't happen, it is not how adaptive thermogenesis works aka no such thing as starvation mode

My guess is you were not logging properly

Until you get your logging sorted nothing will work ...see stickie at top calorie counting 101 http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Once you log properly yes it is more than possible ...I lost the majority of my weight eating around 1800 calories a day but I was extremely careful with weighing and accurate logging of food and not over-estimating exercise burns ...still am, still losing slowly at 2100 calories as I try to find my maintenance level
    when I went to a calorie counter it said based on my weight and height that I needed to eat between 1500-1700 calories to lose weight healthily. I weight my food on a food scale and I use a measuring cup

Really? I looked at one day and you had 6tbsp of peanut butter logged ....a highly calorie dense food in an innaccurate measure, the calorie count on that alone could be out by up to 100%

I am not trying to trick you or make you cross

Get your logging right and the weight will drop off
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    of course you can lose at 1600 cal. it all depends on calories in/calories out. but if you were not losing at 1200 you weren't logging accurately, or didn't do it for long enough.
  • Sued0nim
    this is so confusing everyone is saying the opposite of what I researched and been told by others. now I don't know how many calories to eat :-/

What? What have you been told? Can you back it up with scientific studies because 90% of dietary information, tabloid coverage, weight loss books and programmes and well meaning friend advice is simply nonsensical

Get your calorie counting estimates as accurate possible
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day? I was eating 1200 calories a day but my body was holding onto the weight because I was under eating. So now im trying to eat 1600 calories a day instead. I would love your advice and experiences. Thanks. :-)

Your body was not holding on to weight because you were eating too few calories because that doesn't happen, it is not how adaptive thermogenesis works aka no such thing as starvation mode

Until you get your logging sorted nothing will work ...see stickie at top calorie counting 101 http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Once you log properly yes it is more than possible ...I lost the majority of my weight eating around 1800 calories a day but I was extremely careful with weighing and accurate logging of food and not over-estimating exercise burns ...still am, still losing slowly at 2100 calories as I try to find my maintenance level
    when I went to a calorie counter it said based on my weight and height that I needed to eat between 1500-1700 calories to lose weight healthily. I weight my food on a food scale and I use a measuring cup

Really? I looked at one day and you had 6tbsp of peanut butter logged ....a highly calorie dense food in an innaccurate measure, the calorie count on that alone could be out by up to 100%

so I don't measure peanut butter based off of the serving size on the container? How do I measure peanut butter?

• mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    this is so confusing everyone is saying the opposite of what I researched and been told by others. now I don't know how many calories to eat :-/

Yeah but there's a difference between information you read on a random website vs information you read in a reputable journal. Go to scholar.google.com and look it up there. You'll find legitimate science articles from people with PhDs in chemistry and biochemistry who have done real research on the topic.
  • newstart1988

What? What have you been told? Can you back it up with scientific studies because 90% of dietary information, tabloid coverage, weight loss books and programmes and well meaning friend advice is simply nonsensical

im being told things by everyone on here without scientific studies

• ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    get a food scale
  • newstart1988
    get a food scale
    I have one and I use it

• mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member

I just told you how to look them up yourself from a reputable source. And I actually do have a degree in biochemistry, but I don't want you to take my word for it. Look it up on scholar.google.com. I'd link you to other sources but you probably wouldn't have access because they're subscription based.
  • newstart1988
    are calorie counters wrong? it said 1500-1700 calories for me to lose weight based on my weight and height
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    It is confusing, but it appears that "Starvation Mode" is a myth, but a myth containing at least a small kernel of truth.

From Weight Watchers:
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.
    It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).
    Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint).

Metabolism after Weight Loss
    The good news is that after the weight-loss goal is achieved and weight has stabilized, it does not appear that the dip in metabolism is permanent. Several rigorous studies done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that metabolism goes back to expected levels with sustained weight loss,4 discounting the theory that a lowered metabolism helps to explain the common phenomenon of weight regain following weight loss.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member

Do you really want to lose weight? If so, stop defending your eating habits and start eating less.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    If you are maintaining weight at your current diet all you have to do is chop calories off it slowly until you are losing at a rate you want. Wait 2 weeks to judge how it is working for you though.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member

so I don't measure peanut butter based off of the serving size on the container? How do I measure peanut butter?

You should measure it using a scale. Ideally one that uses grams. There is a lot of wiggle room with ounces and measuring spoons. A couple grams more here and there of peanut butter adds up right quick. Weigh the bread or whatever you're putting the peanut butter on and then tare that off then add the peanut butter so you can see how many grams you've got.
  • Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    The OP is only going on what others have told her, and I can vouch that up until a year or two ago, these forums used to be full of threads with things like "you need to eat more, you're in starvation mode". I've noticed trends in weight loss advice. I remember being told those things myself, and I remember thinking that it didn't make sense to eat more and yet lose more weight. It's the largely unregulated pool of peer advice and pseudo-science that gets people confused.

OP, my recommendation to you is to ask your doctor or a nutritionist.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015

Starvation mode, as you are using the term, is a myth. Here is what it really means (with the studies):
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

The best thing you can do is try to tighten your logging for a 3-4 weeks on measurements at whatever calorie amounts you choose. Go from there. But be really as accurate as you can be.
  • Sued0nim
    get a food scale
    I have one and I use it

Not according to your diary

Everything solid should be weighed including peanut butter, you can even weigh oils
  • Sued0nim
    Minnesota starvation experiment