Apple Cider Vinegar to boost weight loss?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It helps my acid reflux, and last year I was taking ACV just to prove my boss wrong, and even though it did not help with weight loss, I did not get my usual cold I usually get in winter. Bottom line is, it doesn't hurt, and it may help with certain things. Good luck!

I've never heard of it for heartburn. I have GERD, and the next time I have a flare up I might try some apple cider vinegar.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It helps my acid reflux, and last year I was taking ACV just to prove my boss wrong, and even though it did not help with weight loss, I did not get my usual cold I usually get in winter. Bottom line is, it doesn't hurt, and it may help with certain things. Good luck!

I've never heard of it for heartburn. I have GERD, and the next time I have a flare up I might try some apple cider vinegar.

There were a lot of people on the last ACV thread that got nuked who had GERD who came in and said it helped. It was probably the only claim on there with any merit besides the hair conditioning and skin use tips.

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I use it as a toner.

I don't know if it was you or another poster that posted this on one of the other apple cider vinegar threads but I tried it and my face is so happy! So thank you for sharing!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

There were a lot of people on the last ACV thread that got nuked who had GERD who came in and said it helped. It was probably the only claim on there with any merit besides the hair conditioning and skin use tips.

Maybe I'll try it on my hair and my face.

Let's just hope I don't go around smelling like ACV. :D
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Maybe I'll try it on my hair and my face.

Let's just hope I don't go around smelling like ACV. :D

I've used it on a yeasty rash before (no, it wasn't on my hooha, and yes, it cleared it up, too!). I loathe vinegar an its smell. It dissipates quickly.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

I used to have horrible acid reflux even with a prescription. I used to mix a tiny bit of baking soda with water, and that always helped.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Once it dries there is no smell
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    What is it supposed to do for your hair?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My sister told me about all the benefits.
    Which would be what, exactly? And what research does she have to back her claims?

One thing it has been proven to do is erode tooth enamel.

Go do a search on PubMed.

putting a tsp or tbsp in a glass of water
    Which is it? That's a 3-fold difference in dose.
    And how much water?

helps cleanse toxins
    Which toxins?
    And how does a little bit of vinegar do something that your lungs, liver, kidneys, skin, and bowel can't?

and suppress appetite
    That might actually be true... smells nasty, tastes nasty, why would you want to eat anything after that?

read online that this can help you lose 10-15 lbs in a few weeks
    Read it where? On a reputable site with scientific research to back their claims, or somebody's blog?

As to losing weight quickly, it depends on how overweight you are when you start.
    I was 110 lb overweight, and yes, this time last year I could lose 10 lb a month easily.
    But all I did was eat normal foods in reasonable portions and exercise pretty much every day.
    When you're close to a healthy weight (based on BMI), losing weight will go slowly. 0.5 lb per week would be a lot.
    It's pretty frustrating. :confused::unamused::weary::angry:

There's no magic pill or potion that will burn fat or "melt the pounds away".
    The only way to get there is to eat less than your body burns.

To lose 1 lb, you need to have a caloric deficit of about 3500 calories.
    Most people can cut 250 cal/day and not really feel it. That's 2 weeks for 1 lb.
    If you add mild exercise, like walking for 0.5 hour at lunch or while dinner is cooking, you could change that to
    maybe 10 days, and it will be fairly painless.
    So for 10 lb it would take about 3.5 months if you want it to be pretty easy.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing weight is as easy as drinking vinegar.

That's why so many people are overweight.

v4v493tj9r7o.gif
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    What is it supposed to do for your hair?

It's like a rinse/conditioner thing. I think. A lot of people who do low-poo or no-poo swear by it.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Let's think about this logically for a second.......

ok, yeah...no.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I can see it acting as an appetite suppressant. But so can drinking a glass of plain water. Flushing out toxins though - no. Your kidneys and liver do that. But, if you feel better drinking it, then go for it. It won't hurt you. Just use a straw. It's very acidic and will break down the enamel on your teeth. Once that's gone, you can't get it back...
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Let's think about this logically for a second.......

ok, yeah...no.

Wait! It would totally work for weight loss for me.

Follow me here!

Vinegar is revolting to me.

I drink majick apple cider vinegar. It turns my stomach. I don't want food.

Simples!

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    My sister told me about all the benefits.
    Which would be what, exactly? And what research does she have to back her claims?
    putting a tsp or tbsp in a glass of water
    Which is it? That's a 3-fold difference in dose.
    And how much water?

The instructions on the packet of Asprin in my cupboard say to take one or two tablets with a glass of water (unspecified size). And your point is...?
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Read it where? On a reputable site with scientific research to back their claims, or somebody's blog?

Yeah, well, research is done on medicines and remedies if/when drug companies stand to make a lot of money. Nobody is going to be able to patent apple cider vinegar so why do you think anyone would invest thousands into doing research on it?

... So (I counted) we have eight people who've actually tried ACV contributing to this discussion, and of those eight seven have seen benefits, and one hasn't.

If it were me asking the question I would invest the grand sum of £2.85 and buy a bottle and try it for myself.
    Being sure to use a straw, of course...
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I still don't understand why so many people are overweight/obese if losing weight is as easy as...sluuuuurp....drinking vinegar through a straw! It's quite the puzzle.

Oh wait....it's because there is no magic secret to weight loss, and it takes a lot of hard work.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    no. However the belief that there is some kind of easy trick to weight loss like drinking vinegar is a sure fire way to stay over weight.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It can help you in the weight loss process, but pounds won't be dropping of if you're not on a deficit.

I usually mixed it in cold water with fresh lemon juice. I take it every morning and I've noticed my skin to be clearer.

• xesixb
    Options
    It can help you in the weight loss process, but pounds won't be dropping of if you're not on a deficit.

I usually mixed it in cold water with fresh lemon juice. I take it every morning and I've noticed my skin to be clearer.

• xesixb
    Options