What makes you stick to your calories?

Options

Replies

• SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Gaining the weight back scares the life out of me.
  • junestarrr
    junestarrr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    And also make sure to eat a lot of protein bc it'll fill you up and not make you so hungry. I get mine from greek yogurt, eggs, lean meat, lentils, etc...
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My desire to be healthy
    Fit, not out of breath
    fit and feel better in my clothes
    Get off my blood sugar medicine :);):p:*
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging helps me immensely. I leave some calories unplanned for spontaneous snacks, but I pre-log all my meals, often five or six days ahead of time. I don't know what it is, but having everything already recorded really helps me stick with it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My desire to not be fat again is stronger than my desire to go over my calories.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Concentrating on the things that I need to ADD to my diet to make sure I get enough of, meaning protein, fiber and water. Doing that somewhat naturally makes me avoid the "bad" stuff because I am often too full after that.
  • jgoji
    jgoji Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is it that helps you on a day to day basis not to go over your calories?

Cooking as much as I can at home and being as exact as I possibly can on my portions helps quite a bit, getting enough exercise also helps.

Something else that I've found to help when I have to eat out is to pre-check calories and macros in the food database on the fitness app (I use two apps) to see what a particular item has for calories and macros.
    if what I want doesn't come up in either database, I don't get that item... Unless it's a cheat meal. :)
  • ElizabethsData
    ElizabethsData Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Exercise, strangely enough, because I am working so hard that I don't want to waste all that effort.

And a high protein, high fat, low carb, whole foods diet really helps to cut down on cravings and leaves me feeling satiated enough to eat (at least) a few hundred calories less each day than I would otherwise.
  • SwordLadySilence
    SwordLadySilence Posts: 3 Member
    Options

The fact that when I stopped logging calories last summer and guessed, I gained nearly all 20 lbs back. And spreading the food out throughout the day. If I eat a big meal early, I'm still hungry later, and more likely go over my goal. If I forget to eat in the morning, I'm not hungry for all of the calories I still need in the afternoon/evening. So I have to have the small meal in the morning, medium lunch, and then I design supper to fit whatever calories I have left.

Except on workout days. Workout days I eat WHATEVER I want, because I cannot possibly overrun my calorie limit after teaching martial arts for 3 hours and participating for 3 more.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Meal prep in advance.
    And the red scares me. lol
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I never, ever, ever want to be fat again.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's just another daily habit. Just like everything we are successful at, we want to achieve something and then we want to keep it, so we do the daily steps, make the daily choices, and forgive ourselves when we are not perfect, move on, and keep making those choices and never give up. It's like paying rent daily. The more you do it, the more it's just of who you are. If you never give up you WIN.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,200 Member
    Options

I'm on a mission to lose as much weight as I can by mid-June on my current 1250 cal/day NET diet.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I get enough exercise that I generally have a very generous calorie allowance to work with.

And I am very serious about loosing the weight so... I stop eating when I reach my limits. I rule my body. I am not ruled by my stomach. Not anymore.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Personal. Responsibility.

I am accountable for my actions.
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    In the morning, log my anticipated food especially if I'll be having a big dinner with friends or fam. Then plan the day around it all the while looking forward to that treat later.

Also, learning o be ok with hunger pangs in the beginning as my body gets used to the cut. They do go away as you get better at incorporating more protein and better at counting.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    the fact that it works. the fact I i understand how I'm hurting myself physically and emotionally by overeating, and so I am choosing everyday to take care of myself because I deserve to feel good in my own body and deal with my problems in a way that doesn't cause other harm, like weight gain.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    1. Wanting to lose weight
    2. Pre-logging my whole day

I second this! ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I don't want to gain weight and get fat again.

This. Also I have fitness goals that gaining weight would interfere with, and focusing on those makes eating well (and an appropriate amount) easier. (I usually focus on the week as a whole, though.)

Making sure that I enjoy/am satisfied with what I eat makes it lots easier too.
  • r_wilson9
    r_wilson9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    1. Wanting to lose weight
    2. Pre-logging my whole day
    I've noticed a lot of folks doing the "Pre-logging" and seeing them staying within their calorie goals! I usually just log what I eat but imma try to prelog this week and see if it makes a difference! Heads up there is a friend request otw!