I literally can't go!!!

Options
rockailly13
rockailly13 Posts: 38 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Okay so I apologize for the gross subject but I literally can't go number two.... I go once a week and that's only because I load up on laxatives in order to do so. I know I get stopped up because of the meds I take for neuropathy but I feel like it hinders my weight loss in a way because my body is literally hanging on to everything I eat and not letting anything go. I'm at a loss, I eat a lot of fiber but then I just get bloated. Tips and tricks would be more than appreciated!!!!

Replies

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What type of laxatives do you use? Some can cause dependence over the long term. Others are approved for long term use, and if your meds are stopping you up, maybe your doctor would want you on one. I use miralax, which takes awhile to kick in, but really helps one it does. It should only hinder your weight loss in the sense of masking loss on the scale due to backed up stool. I'm not aware of any correlation between slow GI transit times and weight loss issues.
  • karilou52
    karilou52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is a painful subject, but my Dr. suggested Smooth Move tea at night before bed. You let one cup of it steep, covered, for 15 minutes. Also every time I take my meds that "stop me up" I also take a stool softener. This seems to help but it's only every 2-3 days for me. The tea has helped it not hurt so much. You might want to check with the doctor prescribing your meds to see what their advice might be...
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary. You don't eat many veggies or fruits. One day you ate 1.25 cups of cheese - that's like a cork to some people. I'd suggest drink lots of water, increase your fruits (especially dried prunes) and veggies. Good luck.
  • 31st_Proverbs
    31st_Proverbs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Raw fruits and veggies - and lots of them! I looked at your diary and there it's sadly lacking in that department. Watermelon - alot of watermelon. It's high in water and very fiberous!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Raw fruits and veggies - and lots of them! I looked at your diary and there it's sadly lacking in that department. Watermelon - alot of watermelon. It's high in water and very fiberous!

But not too much or you'll get blocked up from too much fibre.. It's a balancing act.

I'd try a good probiotic, and digestive enzymes. Also magnesium... And coffee
  • karilou52
    karilou52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    those are some good advices...pearls of wisdom!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    A great big salad, loaded with veggies usually does the trick for me.
  • SkinnyMiss053
    SkinnyMiss053 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I noticed my digestion was better when I ate more fat.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Fiber and healthy fats -- nuts, avocado, etc. Also, I find a couple of slices of bacon always helps me!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    A bowl of shredded wheat cereal a couple of times a week keeps things running smoothly for me!
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    More fiber from fruits and vegetables is good. Taking a magnesium supplement is good. Eating to much cheese is bad. If these approaches don't help, a lot of doctor's recommend a daily dose of miralax for chronic constipation. It's very gentle and the dailyness of the dosage is the key for hard cases. You can google miralax to find info on how it works. It's not a stimulant laxative.
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    magnesium, vitamin c and 1-2 tsp. of ground flax seeds (mixed with water) before bed...
    juice from a lemon mixed with warm water in the am and I'm 'good to go' so to speak.

I've also heard that if you mix the ground flax seeds in warm water with a tbsp. of olive oil works like a dream. something to try though
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »
    I took a peek at your diary. You don't eat many veggies or fruits. One day you ate 1.25 cups of cheese - that's like a cork to some people. I'd suggest drink lots of water, increase your fruits (especially dried prunes) and veggies. Good luck.
    This. And add a magnesium supplement.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have an apple or two, coffee and a good walk..
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I find a tablespoon of coconut oil a day to fry veggies in keeps me moving.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    For fiber to work properly you nee to drink enough water, otherwise it has the opposite effect.
  • emijosh2002
    emijosh2002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Common problem in my life at least until I found an amazing detox tea from Yogi, recommendations suggest to only take it for 7 days and then give a rest before starting again and thats what I do, but in those 7 days I drinking it quite a lot. I love it....p.s I drink tons of water too
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Common problem in my life at least until I found an amazing detox tea from Yogi, recommendations suggest to only take it for 7 days and then give a rest before starting again and thats what I do, but in those 7 days I drinking it quite a lot. I love it....p.s I drink tons of water too

OP: Don't do this. Stimulant laxatives are not the answer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a yummy chocolate fibre drink every night which does the trick.
    Like everyone else has said, Magnesium! But they don't all work the same... I've tried a couple that didn't help at all.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Try Equate bulk psyllium husk from walmart. It's less than 10 bucks for a big container. The coarse natural stuff. There is a brand name Konsel which is more expensive but a little better. A table spoon or so at night before bed will do it. It will take a week or so to get regular. But then it will be an everyday thing. It works for this issue even if it's from medication.