When should a school intervene? Never? (school lunch issue)

Options
7elizamae
7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
I have a student (2nd grader) who usually comes to school eating from a gigantic bag of Doritos and drinking a brightly colored energy drink. That's her breakfast. Sometimes she has Cheetos instead.

I don't intervene. Would you?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    A second grader drinking an energy drink??! Like red bull??!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How exactly would you "intervene"?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What are the district's policies? I would ask an administrator or a trusted co-worker before thinking of bringing parents into it.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I would talk to the whole class about healthy eating and physical activity and send a note home to all parents expressing that your class is focusing on healthy living habits and that you encourage children to bring a well balanced meal/snack to school.
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Can't there be an activity for this without making it a personal intervention? I did an activity at the Y the other day as a volunteer for Healthy Kids Day; we had kids get stars for jumping jacks or pushups and we had an activity where they sorted plastic fruits/veggies and snacks as healthy etc. Pretty sure there are paper versions of this that can be tied into a fun learning experience rather than an intervention. No personal judgment there btw, I just think it might be more detrimental to the child to be told that something is straight out 'wrong'.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would talk to the whole class about healthy eating and physical activity and send a note home to all parents expressing that your class is focusing on healthy living habits and that you encourage children to bring a well balanced meal/snack to school.

I agree with this idea. In my opinion, schools should only intervene in safety issues.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would probably intervene if the child were up to 7th-8th grade. At that point i would acknowledge their own choices. I would be willing to assist them with making the right food choices, but if they are fat, get diabetes, and get picked on it's their own perogative at that point.

Now if it's a child child (?) then i would absolutely intervene**. I would only do so by collective the offending item and replacing it with something else. For example, in the breakfast situation i would collect the redbull and cheetos and give them an apple and a milk. Or a banana and a yogurt. something to that effect.

I would then send them home with the offending item and a handwritten note that they had received a healthier option instead. I would probably say something along the lines of... "XChild has had low energy lately" or "XChild seems to be having problems integrating and playing with the other students" or "XChild is having problems in PE/Recess" and it "may be because they didn't have a nutritious and healthy breakfast. So i bought them something that may be more beneficial to their studies/health".

If the parents are ballsy enough to send the child to class with the items again i would write them a serious fat-hating/angry/shitlord letter.

**Note: I would only intervene if the product was genuinely terrible for their health or completely lacking in any nutritional value. It'd have to be a meal of oreos, doritos/cheetos, and packaged donuts only for me to really step in. I dont presume to know their diet outside of school and i recognize that even in my own diet these things can be eaten in moderation. I wouldn't flip about one "bad" side or one "bad" portion. I'm saying if the entire meal was devoid of nutrition.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think anything beyond a discussion or note to the parent is probably overstepping bounds, as hard as it may be to watch.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I would probably intervene if the child were up to 7th-8th grade. At that point i would acknowledge their own choices. I would be willing to assist them with making the right food choices, but if they are fat, get diabetes, and get picked on it's their own perogative at that point.

Now if it's a child child (?) then i would absolutely intervene**. I would only do so by collective the offending item and replacing it with something else. For example, in the breakfast situation i would collect the redbull and cheetos and give them an apple and a milk. Or a banana and a yogurt. something to that effect.

I would then send them home with the offending item and a handwritten note that they had received a healthier option instead. I would probably say something along the lines of... "XChild has had low energy lately" or "XChild seems to be having problems integrating and playing with the other students" or "XChild is having problems in PE/Recess" and it "may be because they didn't have a nutritious and healthy breakfast. So i bought them something that may be more beneficial to their studies/health".

If the parents are ballsy enough to send the child to class with the items again i would write them a serious fat-hating/angry/shitlord letter.

**Note: I would only intervene if the product was genuinely terrible for their health or completely lacking in any nutritional value. It'd have to be a meal of oreos, doritos/cheetos, and packaged donuts only for me to really step in. I dont presume to know their diet outside of school and i recognize that even in my own diet these things can be eaten in moderation. I wouldn't flip about one "bad" side or one "bad" portion. I'm saying if the entire meal was devoid of nutrition.

Wouldn't you get sued and fired for that nowadays? Not sure if you can do much but try to educate the class as a whole on eating healthier.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Wouldn't you get sued and fired for that nowadays? Not sure if you can do much but try to educate the class as a whole on eating healthier.

I don't know. I personally think we are way too damn sensitive on the subject regarding weight. If you are abusing your child (I.E. not proving them with sustenance) i'd find it my moral obligation to do so.

I guess it's a great thing i'm not a teacher though. Because the one thing i can't stand is a fat-f%%% parent who is pushing that lifestyle/deathstyle onto their children.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Unless the child is your child, it's not your business.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

assuming it'd be my responsibility to discipline, teach, and shape the future of generations to come; i'd say it's my business.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

assuming it'd be my responsibility to discipline, teach, and shape the future of generations to come; i'd say it's my business.

No. Your job is to teach. Taking away the child's food and passing judgment on his/her family's lifestyle is beyond the scope of your job description.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No. I'm sure her parents (or whoever is providing this) is well aware that Doritos are not a great breakfast.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

No. Your job is to teach. Taking away the child's food and passing judgment on his/her family's lifestyle is beyond the scope of your job description.

I have to wonder though, when 2/3rds of society is overweight and the future generations are now the first that will NOT outlive their parents/ancestors when it WILL be time to step in and make it everyone's business.

When young children are now having to deal with lifelong diabetes, heart problems, the whole slew of health issues caused by obesity, and are having to undergo life-threatening surgeries to shrink their stomaches when society will decide as a whole that this detached, disinterested, not-my-job, only care about myself and screw everyone else- mentality will have to end.

If their POS parents can't care about their children's future or lives, it's time to step in and do it. If a parent is beating their child i'd report it. If a child is being sexually assulted by a parent i'd report it. And if a child's parent is literally ruining their life-long health, i'd do the same.
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would call CPS...but I'm an *kitten* who thinks parents who can't manage (read:neglect) to feed their kids properly need some guidance from the state.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I would call CPS...but I'm an *kitten* who thinks parents who can't manage (read:neglect) to feed their kids properly need some guidance from the state.

I dont see how that makes you an *kitten*... if anything it makes you seem like you actually care about that child's wellbeing.
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options

I don't know. I personally think we are way too damn sensitive on the subject regarding weight. If you are abusing your child (I.E. not proving them with sustenance) i'd find it my moral obligation to do so.

I guess it's a great thing i'm not a teacher though. Because the one thing i can't stand is a fat-f%%% parent who is pushing that lifestyle/deathstyle onto their children.

I agree with you there. And I believe people shouldn't be allowed to have children unless the future parents are audited... But, that's not how our society is and unfortunately we have to play by the rules.
  • rainbowbow
    edited May 2015
    Options

I agree with you there. And I believe people shouldn't be allowed to have children unless the future parents are audited... But, that's not how our society is and unfortunately we have to play by the rules.

rules can be changed if the mindset of society changes. And the only way that's going to happen is to make an impact and impart as much knowledge as possible. It's sure as hell not by having a "not my problem" mentality^ as suggested above.