when u do not want to workout

Options
How do you overcome the urge to not workout. I'm feeling it

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    There are consequences to any decision or action. Decide for yourself if the consequence of not working out is worth it or not. Problem solved.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I usually find a really tiny fitnessblender video between 5-10 mins say I will at least do that much then I usually end up doing a longer one after because I finally got moving.
  • elizabethcook5
    elizabethcook5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a physical disability that makes it harder then normal to do a workout but I have to do something so I do what I can. Some days are much worse then others with The pain but I make it through when I can
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What I wrote in my home page today...

The weight of failure is much heavier than that barbell. (Found on Pinterest)

Focus on why you joined MFP. Then, don't take time to think about exercising, just do it!
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I usually think about how awful it would be if I physically couldn't work out - bed ridden with some terrible permanent illness or something - then I thank my lucky stars and head off to the gym
    This^^^ it is so true
    I got really sick and could not stand up for any good amount of time because of dizzy spells were happening all the time every day for years. If you can't move around suddenly it changes your whole outlook. The old you stuck in bed at the twilight of life will want to kick your but for passing up an opportunity to move around.
  • spekaelizabeth
    spekaelizabeth Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I felt like that tonight. I got on the stationary bike and did 50 calories and had to stop to walk around and drink some water. My legs hurt and I just didn't feel like it. But I figured if rather be uncomfortable for 45 mins than not lose this weight so I finished my 500 calories. This app helps a lot. It's easier to stay on track seeing it in writing and having people support you.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I do it anyway. Like brushing my teeth. It's just part of my routine. Make a choice. Is it important to you? If yes, you'll find a way. If not, then you'll find an excuse. But for your own sake... Don't make an excuse. Just be honest and admit it's not that important to you. If you make excuses, you eventually start to believe them. Then it gets really hard to start again. But, It's really okay to have different priorities at different points in your life. So simply make your choice and be honest about it.... Especially with yourself.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    How do you overcome the urge to not workout. I'm feeling it

Do something lighter ... go for a walk.

And sometimes while you're out there on what was meant to be a short, casual stroll just to get a bit of fresh air ... all of sudden it turns into quite a lengthy brisk walk. :smiley:

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    As a rule I do it anyway and force myself.

But when that fails, I put on my workout gear and tell myself "I'll just put it on and get ready as if I was going to workout, i can always sit on the sofa in it, no pressure if I still feel bad once dressed....."
    I've yet to put my workout gear on and not workout.

A silly trick but it works for me, Curious if it would work for others.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The only time I don't want to work out is when I'm sick or in pain or have a migraine. Depending if I'm due for a break day will determine if I power through or not. I will start with deep breaths in, preferably outside, start touching toes then reaching way up shaking arms as I move back down, looks foolish but gets the blood going. By that time I get my "will" to start walking or do the bike. At some point you have to want movement more than you want anything else.
  • magneticreikipaul
    magneticreikipaul Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a physical disability that makes it harder then normal to do a workout but I have to do something so I do what I can. Some days are much worse then others with The pain but I make it through when I can
    pain is only temporary you take time to heal ,rest,recover,
    i heard a great quote somewhere
    that says, If you can look up you can get up get back to it!

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

What kind of disability? Not trying to be nosy, but I have a couple and your answer will make a difference in my response.

I have fibromyalgia among other things. I find that there's a sweet spot for exercise. A certain amount makes it better. Too much or not enough makes it worse. Finding the sweet spot is tough, especially since it can be a moving target. You have to learn how to tell the difference between pain that's normal and pain that means it's time to back off and rest. If you have RA or something where working through the pain is likely to cause injury and increased damage to the joints then you need to find workouts that are gentler, like walking or swimming.

But assuming there's no physical reason not to do it I simply don't give myself an option not to work out. I treat it like my job. There's no "am I going to workout today?" it's just "It's Monday so I'm doing squats."
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm really hard on myself, I have to tell myself to suck it up and get on with it.
  • Msbennett709
    Msbennett709 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Find a lighter activity that you enjoy. Save that routine for those days that you are just not in the mood. What I've been doing, and clearly it's been working cause I'm losing is, when I really don't want to go out for a walk or down in my home gym I turn on my tv shows and I walk in place in front of the tv for 30 minutes. I log it as 30 min mod pace 3.0 walk. Your breathing heavy, lifting those legs, and burning calories. It works. Save for those blah days and get your good workouts in on the other days. Good luck
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Various ways to tackle it, but from the start exercise has been part of my strategy to help assist my weight loss and get fit. I understand why I am doing it and see it as part of the solution (it is, so why would you not want it?). If you find it hard to get started, then make it less daunting bu making it manageable, so its something you can manage and progressively build on.

My mentality is that I want the results, doing exercise will help me and im better on getting on with it rather than fretting and spending more time worry han it would take to have done the exercise in the first place. once you make progress that is encouraging.

I wouldnt work out if I was injured or didnt feel too well. I dont kid myself about that. Rest days are also important.
    Eventually it becomes a habit and you just do it. I find the hard work aspect of it challenging, but an attraction.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i force myself. i get dressed and go. even when i dont feel like it. unless i am horribly sick (or contagious) and injured.... i work out.

if i make excuses.... it will become one day then 2, than 5, then 3 months, etc

i also like to eat so..... exercise calories help ;) LOLOL
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You will never regret working out, but you will,regret NOT working out
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Find a lighter activity that you enjoy. Save that routine for those days that you are just not in the mood. What I've been doing, and clearly it's been working cause I'm losing is, when I really don't want to go out for a walk or down in my home gym I turn on my tv shows and I walk in place in front of the tv for 30 minutes. I log it as 30 min mod pace 3.0 walk. Your breathing heavy, lifting those legs, and burning calories. It works. Save for those blah days and get your good workouts in on the other days. Good luck

I like this advice. I also like the habit advice. Some days my toothbrushing time is short, but I rarely skip it altogether.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I do it anyway.... It's part of my routine, like work, cooking dinner, brushing my teeth...or practicing an instrument (my career funnily enough). If you want to succeed at something, sometimes you have to do things you don't enjoy so much.