Anyone Else Low Carbing?

Options
iluvstrwbrries
iluvstrwbrries Posts: 26 Member
Hello,

Ruby here. I have low carbed for a number of years off and on, is any one else low carbing as well?

I love collecting recipes and a low carb site on Facebook so I am always interested in seeing what people eat to stay low carb.

I have three questions:

What cravings are you battling with?
What do you eat to fill those cravings?
And what's your best recipe?

Replies

• NyaraC
    NyaraC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ruby,

I have a very sweet tooth and usually miss chocolate and ice cream.

I have found many recipes for fat bombs which not only satisfy my sweet tooth, but also have a high fat content in accordance with the atkins plan.

I would say the best recipe ive found to date is at the link below...but thats just because i love chocolate!=)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/402790760400174030/

I am not really into savoury things but when i suddenly have to eat bread, i buy the linseed loaf from my nearest banting supplier. Its not really the same taste but i quite like it! Apparently its fabulous toasted, but i have yet to have it that way.
  • theconstantgardener
    theconstantgardener Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes I am at the beginning of the process. I am trying to get rid of my 'high fat fear' which has been so prevalent in marketing and also getting more protein (bit tricky as a pescetarian on a very strict budget). So far so good. It's amazing how psychologically a slice of bread seems so much more filling than a couple of eggs and how croutons seem more substantial than olive oil as an addition to salad but now as times goes on I can feel how physically these proteins and fats are much more satiating.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Try the http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group group here on MFP. Great info and there are answers to all yoru questions in the Dashboard at the top of the page. Lots of good recipes, ideas, websites, videos, etc there.
  • iluvstrwbrries
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi NyaraC,

Those look really yummy. Thank you for sharing. My usual craving is french bread, which of course I cant have. My current favorite snack seems to be sliced cucumbers with lime and pico de gallo chile on it.
  • iluvstrwbrries
    Options

Theconstantgardener,

I know what you mean. Every time I tell someone that I am low carbing I get "the look" as if I am doing the worse freaking food choice I can make. lol

I keep telling people, it's not as bad as people think it is.
  • iluvstrwbrries
    Options
    Thank You Alliwan.
  • monicalewis37669
    monicalewis37669 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fairly new to the low carb world...incorporating enough fat seems difficult some days...my biggest craving is pizza and through the help of the internet, I've found some great cauliflower crust pizzas that satisfy.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Low carb is so difficult for me. I crave pasta. Spaghetti squash is just NOT the same!! I'm still staying away but ugh. I need some different easy tasty recipes. I'm addicted to my cauliflower soup. It's delish but I need something else. I'm living on protein shakes and veggies.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb several years ago and I just can't do it. I need my homemade bread with butter/cheese. Props to you for sticking with it, I felt like I was going to die lol.
  • iluvstrwbrries
    Options
    Monicalewis37669,

Pizza is hard to give up isnt it? I havent tried a cauliflower crust, would you mind sharing the recipe?
  • iluvstrwbrries
    Options
    Tracefan,

I love pasta, and I just cant find low carb pasta noodles that taste the same. I did however find a low carb pasta dough recipe...now all I have to do is buy a pasta maker. The recipe is below.

Low Carb Pasta Dough Recipe

Ingredients Nutrition
    Servings 4 Units US

1⁄2 cup soy flour
    1⁄2 cup protein powder
    1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
    1⁄2 cup water
    1 egg

Directions
    1. Combine the dry ingredients together add the egg and water and mix well.
    2. It will be a sticky dough.
    3. Divide the dough in half.
    4. Take a half at a time and dust your work surface with protein powder.
    5. Liberally dust the dough and roll out very very thin on your work surface.
    6. Fold the dough in half and cut into strips with a very sharp knife.
    7. Place the cut strips on to a dry towel and let them air dry for 2 hours.
    8. To cook drop noodles into boiling salted water.
    9. Use a large pot- water foams.

Tip**Goes well through a pasta machine. Let dough rest for about 20 minutes, and used your electric mixer attachment. Because of the dough consistency, you will have to start on a thicker setting and work your way down to a sheet thin enough for spaghetti noodles.

**Dust it with Soy flour and stored it it the fridge overnight. Don't worry about separating your noodles right away, they break out when boiled.

**Hand roll: You might have to go heavy on the protein powder for this cause they really are sticky as described. Rolled on parchment to help with sticking.

Serves 4
    Net Carbs per serving 3.4
  • iluvstrwbrries
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    I tried low carb several years ago and I just can't do it. I need my homemade bread with butter/cheese. Props to you for sticking with it, I felt like I was going to die lol.

Hello Mistikal13,

I remember when I first started, the carb withdrawal headaches, the caffeine withdrawal headaches, the sugar withdrawal headaches. It was awful and it is a hard road to stick to.

This isnt my first time low carbing so when I went back on it, I was prepared.

It isnt for everyone but at least you tried!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »

Hello Mistikal13,

I remember when I first started, the carb withdrawal headaches, the caffeine withdrawal headaches, the sugar withdrawal headaches. It was awful and it is a hard road to stick to.

This isnt my first time low carbing so when I went back on it, I was prepared.

It isnt for everyone but at least you tried!

Keep on keeping on :wink:

• EricE123P
    EricE123P Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently started and it's worked great so far. Do you have a specific amount of carbs you want to stay under? Because you don't have to kill yourself, eat proportions. I looove chips, so I set up a couple of sandwich bags to the recommended serving size. Helped with the cravings.
  • iluvstrwbrries
    edited May 2015
    Options
    EricE123P wrote: »
    I recently started and it's worked great so far. Do you have a specific amount of carbs you want to stay under? Because you don't have to kill yourself, eat proportions. I looove chips, so I set up a couple of sandwich bags to the recommended serving size. Helped with the cravings.

Im staying at 20 carbs a day for now. Then I'll raise it, when I get to what I consider my starting point. Just 10 more pounds and then I can raise it to 30 carbs a day.... I do that bit by bit until I see myself plateau then I will reduce it down till I find my perfect weight loss carb intake.

I'm a bread girl no doubt. I found a great low carb "cornbread" recipe online today. I thought I'd share.

Low carb/ Gluten Free " Cornbread"
    Serves 12.

Ingredients
    1 cup coconut flour (or 2 cups almond meal)
    1 tsp stevia
    1 tsp sea salt
    3 1/2 tsp baking powder
    5 eggs (2 eggs if using almond meal)
    1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
    1/3 cup coconut oil or butter
    1 can (15 oz) baby corn, well drained and chopped fine

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan or a bread pan. Drain baby corn and chop until small pieces.

In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, corn, sweetener, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Net Carbs: 6.6 Per muffin
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Why low carb? I just don't get the low carb thing at all. Give me my 45% carbs all day every day. I still stay 5'6 and 120 - 123 lbs. Low carb makes me tired.
  • iluvstrwbrries
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Low carb can make you tired until your body adjusts and the adjustment time is different for different people.

Why low carb?

Because low carb works for me. I have tried various lifestyle changes, notice that I don't call them diets but I have found that only low carb works for me.

I was a vegetarian for two years and I gained weight...a lot of it.

I tried low calorie lifestyle for a year and while I didn't lose weight, I didn't gain any either. When I was doing low calorie.... I was always...always hungry. I get very cranky when I'm hungry...imagine the Hulk but 5 feet tall.

For me, low carb works.

I drop weight consistently and after being on and off for about 15 years I know what I can eat and I know what processed carbs I can eat in moderation.

I know what the next question will be, why on and off for 15 years?

The answer to that is; I don't low carb when I'm pregnant, nursing or sick.

It's not that it's unhealthy but I want to eat as many foods as possible to give my developing baby or nursing baby a better diet to grow.

I have a three year old now, who is no longer nursing and I am ready....READY to get back on track. I gained A LOT of weight with this last baby and I'm ready for it to come off.

Low carbing is definitely not for everyone, everyone's body is different and what works for one metabolism and body type wont work for another.

And there is my very long answer to a very simple question. :smiley: