when u do not want to workout

Options
2»

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned, putting on the workout gear is the first step. I might not want to, but once I'm in my workout clothes it's a lot harder to convince myself to stay on the couch. There have been a few days where I've had to change my planned routine to something lighter just because I couldn't get the willpower to give it my all in a regular routine, but moving a little it better than not moving at all.

It also takes some reminding that I've never regretted working out, whereas I have regretted not doing so.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this topic because I need every tip I can find for making myself get exercise. I never...ever...want to exercise unless it's bike riding outdoors, but that's impractical most days of the week, and even for that I sometimes check the weather radar hoping for rain. I'm really finding the comments of those of you with illnesses or disabilities especially compelling. Thanks. I need to get an attitude adjustment.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    How do you overcome the urge to not workout. I'm feeling it

it happens. you need to learn how to recognize if it's just laziness, or if it is honest to goodness exhaustion.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You will never regret working out, but you will,regret NOT working out

Eh. I think that's too simplistic. I regret working out over and over again in spite of warning signs of overtraining and eventually putting myself out of commission for months. It's a year later and I'm just now getting back to where I was. There have also been plenty of times since then when I legitimately needed an unscheduled rest day and I don't regret taking those days at all.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think of it like brushing my teeth. Sometimes I don't feel like going and brushing my teeth but I do it anyway. If I didn't do it I would be unhappy with the results over time.
    I aim for exercise goals that are reachable for me- about 30 minutes of some activity, 6 days a week- instead of working out for hours. I do beginner workouts instead of insanely intense workouts.
    When I was having foot pain, I found seated workout videos on you tube to do for awhile. If you have a problem doing some exercise then search around for exercises that meet your needs or consult with a professional about how you can still workout with whatever your issue is.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I think of how much better I will feel when I am done. I also keep track of my progress and just seeing that over time is great motivation. I strive to get just a little better each time.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have lots of days where I just don't want to go to the gym. When this happens I tell myself something along the lines of, "Just go to the gym and do a shorter workout and if you feel like going home, go home." I always end up wanting to push myself for a longer workout.

30 minutes of elliptical machines or biking is better than just staying home and not doing anything.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    You will never regret working out, but you will,regret NOT working out

Eh. I think that's too simplistic. I regret working out over and over again in spite of warning signs of overtraining and eventually putting myself out of commission for months. It's a year later and I'm just now getting back to where I was. There have also been plenty of times since then when I legitimately needed an unscheduled rest day and I don't regret taking those days at all.

You're taking it out of context. For someone who has a hard time getting to the gym or making themselves workout they never regret it.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    What I wrote in my home page today...

The weight of failure is much heavier than that barbell. (Found on Pinterest)

Focus on why you joined MFP. Then, don't take time to think about exercising, just do it!

Love this
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Depends...there's a difference between being lazy and physically not being able to perform and/or legit burned out. If I'm just feeling lazy I force the issue...I often don't feel like doing the dishes or weeding the yard, etc...but I do these things because they need doing...same for exercise. On that note, I do make sure I have rest days scheduled into my training.

On the other hand, sometimes I'm really legit burned out and just need to take an extra rest day or do something maybe lighter than I had planned for...a great example is today. I'm supposed to ride 20 miles at lunch, but I'm hurting today from a very active weekend...I live on almost an acre and we basically worked the land this weekends cleaning up brush and whatnot and planting a garden...basically 2x 8-10 hour days of landscape and garden work, and I'm feeling it. So instead of my ride today I'm just going to take it easy and go for a nice walk.