Loose skin?

2

Replies

  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    At my 65lb. loss I'm noticing the loose skin. I'm not surprised, though, since it comes from years of my body having to accommodate my unhealthy lifestyle. I've heard that with time it will eventually bounce back. But it takes time. Because you're younger, chances are it will recover naturally.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    CherryTop wrote: »
    Skin Brushing ... go research it for yourself

    ^ This is interesting. I just read up on it.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm 25, I've lost 101 pounds, and haven't had any loose skin issues yet. That being said, I've still got about 70 pounds left before I get to a healthy BMI (and my initial goal). Each person is different as well, but being young helps. I haven't done anything special concerning moisturizing, but for other reasons I've increased my water intake. Also, when you get to goal your skin may look a little saggy because it's essentially empty. Strength training can help alleviate that to some degree.

    P.S. I lost the 100 pounds in about a year, and have essentially maintained for the last year. I had a little bit just starting to form initially in my belly button area, but the year of maintenance has let the skin form back to the rest of me.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    I've lost 75 pounds with about 40 more to go. I do have loose skin. And that's because I was over weight my entire life so most of my skin doesn't have any elasticity anymore and I've had a baby. I notice a little on my thighs, definitely my stomach and under arms. It's not bad though. With more weight loss my stomach will look awful but I don't care. I'm not trying to impress anyone.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    I have lost 86 lbs in total. However, I believe I lost 40 lbs of it in a short amount of time (started MFP and it came off quickly). My exercise was mainly cardio (walking) because that was all I could do. But it left me with wrinkly looking skin on my stomach area, upper thighs and arms. However, I have slowed down my weight loss and started lifting weights and it has helped improved those areas. It will probably take some time for it to tighten up 100%. But honestly, like others have said it's worth it because I'd rather have some wrinkly skin (maybe it's temporary and maybe it's not) than have all smooth skin and my weight back on. I think if I could do it all over again, I would have gone for losing the weight slowly and started incorporating weights as soon as my body could tolerate it.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I have lost 100 pounds and do have a little loose skin. It continues to get better though, and it is not noticeable with my clothes. Definitely not a reason to not lose the weight! Worth it even with some loose skin!! :-)
    You're young; it will shrink much faster than for us old gals. If you've been heavy for a long time, it will take longer but youth is on your side. I've lost 50 lbs and I have loose skin. My doctor said keeping the weight off is most important and will give the skin time to shrink (although in my case it is much slower and won't ever be taut like my younger years). It's taken a couple of years for my skin to adjust. Be patient and keep going. Then keep the weight off. Exercise does not "shrink" the skin; however, you can build definition under your skin with muscle, and the skin will plump out from the muscle somewhat. Most of all, be patient.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,372 Member
    I've lost 120lbs so far and do have loose skin but I used the fear of loose skin as an excuse not to tackle the weight for far too long and the younger you do it the better. My health is what is important and being able to hold my head high when dressed and out knowing I look so much better than I did. My focus is fitness and wellbeing - not being able to wear a bikini. Expecting to lose the weight without any evidence of what came before wasn't a feasible thing for me since I've been large since before I hit my teens.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,592 Member
    I lost 30 lb and have loose skin, BUT I am also 46 years old so don't let that scare you. My doctor told me that it can take up to 2 years for your skin to go back as much as it will. I keep telling myself that lots of women have babies and their stomach stretches WAY out but eventually it goes back even if it's not uber firm like before. I have been lifting weights as heavy as I can and drinking whey protein shakes trying to put some muscle into that skin and take up some of the slack. Make sure your skin is well taken care of, you stay hydrated, maybe take a hair skin and nails vitamin on your weight loss journey.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    I'll also echo the ''don't lose too much, too fast''. There's a reason MFP targets you to lose 1-2 lbs a week. Any faster than that and you do risk the loose skin.
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    lauracups wrote: »
    My weight has been up and down and with 2 pregnancies I do have a little loose skin in the lower tummy. I still have 20 to go then all together it'll be 70 lost, and I'm almost 46. I've lost it slowly and done strength training, so the butt legs and upper body are free of loose skin. I think most of that is genetic and skin elasticity. DON'T WORRY! Work on your goal at a healthy pace and if you need tweaks after there's so many options to treat loose skin, some non surgical.
    Good luck!

    could you tell us what other options there is to loose skin

  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    I have lost 200+ pounds and yes there is loose skin and it is gross, but with clothes on it is ok and still worth the weight loss. It has tightened up some but being nearly 40 i doubt it will go away all together.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,236 Member
    In for the ,lose steady plus lift weights an drink enough water. Then I think its genetics and patience.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    They help with the elasticity of your skin.

    But, how can they do that? It is my understanding skin elasticity has mostly to do with heredity, but also whether you work out while losing weight, amounts of pounds lost, whether you've been overweight or obese.

    If what you say were true, then it seems to me it would be more publicized.

    Lots of research on this, although there have not been any large longitudinal studies, the research that has been done suggests that it is true. Some oils will improve the elasticity of skin and reduce the appearance of some aging markers. However for those with diabetes and circulatory issues, they can also interfere with wound healing (no-one seems to be sure why). So why it is not widely publicized, I don't know. A conspiracy theorist may say that cosmetic companies would prefer to sell expensive creams.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,051 Member
    There are lots of collagen supplements out there, it cant hurt to start taking one, as well as some vitC
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    85kurtz wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    They help with the elasticity of your skin.

    But, how can they do that? It is my understanding skin elasticity has mostly to do with heredity, but also whether you work out while losing weight, amounts of pounds lost, whether you've been overweight or obese.

    If what you say were true, then it seems to me it would be more publicized.

    Lots of research on this, although there have not been any large longitudinal studies, the research that has been done suggests that it is true. Some oils will improve the elasticity of skin and reduce the appearance of some aging markers. However for those with diabetes and circulatory issues, they can also interfere with wound healing (no-one seems to be sure why). So why it is not widely publicized, I don't know. A conspiracy theorist may say that cosmetic companies would prefer to sell expensive creams.

    They may help skin appearance if you're deficient and then supplement. They may help make your skin more hydrated and healthier looking. But I doubt they will help much with excess skin that is due to weight loss. That's a different problem-- too much skin, not just inelastic skin.
  • Ariesborne
    Ariesborne Posts: 2 Member
    Hydrate and exfoliate! Sugar scrubs and coconut oil. Use it while losing the weight and it will help your skin firm up..... So will building muscle. Drinks lots of water. Lots.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2015
    85kurtz wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    They help with the elasticity of your skin.

    But, how can they do that? It is my understanding skin elasticity has mostly to do with heredity, but also whether you work out while losing weight, amounts of pounds lost, whether you've been overweight or obese.

    If what you say were true, then it seems to me it would be more publicized.

    Lots of research on this, although there have not been any large longitudinal studies, the research that has been done suggests that it is true. Some oils will improve the elasticity of skin and reduce the appearance of some aging markers. However for those with diabetes and circulatory issues, they can also interfere with wound healing (no-one seems to be sure why). So why it is not widely publicized, I don't know. A conspiracy theorist may say that cosmetic companies would prefer to sell expensive creams.

    It sounds like bro-science to me.
  • TinaRawww
    TinaRawww Posts: 15 Member
    I'm 21, I lost about 80 pounds in 2010 and had loose skin in the arm area. Over the years, it got better and I did a little weight lifting to help out the issues as well. It didn't completely disappear but TONING WHILE LOSING HELPS
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I'm 21, I lost about 80 pounds in 2010 and had loose skin in the arm area. Over the years, it got better and I did a little weight lifting to help out the issues as well. It didn't completely disappear but TONING WHILE LOSING HELPS

    Yep.